“Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Donatello Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Donatello Hotel to your Saves list
The Donatello Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Post Street, cross street - Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
“Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Charming Boutique Hotel in San Franciso. We stayed here in early december 2012. Great location, two blocks from Union Square. Close to all Bus, Trolley and Cable car lines.
The staff and friendly and helpful, especially if you are a first time visitor. The Club level on the top floor had free Wine & Cheese on Friday night. The Concierge suggested and made reservations at a charming Restaurant within walking distaqnce. Our room was large and we were lucky to get a terrace room (odd number rooms) on the fifth floor.Large comfortable room with all the amenities: Small fridge, microwave, and coffee station. Sliding glass door to a shared outside terrace with table and chairs. Would recommend the Donatello to everyone who wants to be in the Heart of Things. We will definitely return on our next trip to San Francisco.

Room Tip: Try to book an odd number room on the 5th Floor ie: 501, 503, 505, etc. We aere in room 503
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

1,920 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Me and three friends stayed here for three days in late november. The rooms are very spacious and the hotel has a great staff. The hotel lies right by union square, and is close to a lot of great clubs (if you are interested in partying). And TV in the bathroom mirror in adition to bublebath and sauna on the top floor can't go wrong. All in all, an excellent place to stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My family and I have spent the last 4 years at the Donatello either the weekend before Thanksgiving or on Thanksgiving through the weekend as our annual family trip. This year was no different than the others as far as our love for the staff and the hotel itself!

From check in, we were treated warmly, like we were visiting family and that feeling stayed with us until we checked out! The Donatello staff is extremely accommodating, friendly and helpful! I don't think we have ever encountered a staff member who was opposite of any of those things!

The rooms have been renovated since our visit last year and I have to say that we all really like what they did. The decor is more modern than what they used to have and the new room arrangement makes more sense than it used to! I really liked the new furniture and soft goods. No one can beat the comfort of the beds...I couldn't wait to get into my king size bed each night!!!

All in all, between 10 of us, there were no complaints! We have 4 kids (12, 10, 9 and 5) that travel with us each year and they ALWAYS look forward to being in San Francisco and staying at the Donatello!!

Thanks to the Donatello Staff for another successful trip!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Isle of Man
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in early November 2012. From the word go we were made to feel very welcome. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. Up on the rooftop, there is a room offering free tea and coffee. This is a very cosy place to retire to after a hard day's sightseeing. All in all, no complaints whatsoever about what I think is an excellent hotel located just one block from Union Square and the cable cars. It is a $10 taxi ride from the Ferry building where many tours start from. There is also a 24 hour diner a block down Mason Street called the Pinecrest where the food was delicious and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Can't help you there. I don't know.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights recently at the Donatello. We walked the few blocks to Union Square and then over to the indoor mall, which we found impressive. There were a great selection of small restaurants there. Our room was spacious and overlooked the street. We heard some loud noise from what was apparently a trash truck in the middle of the night and noticeable street noise began about 6 am. The curtains did a good job of blocking the ilght. The room was well equipped as others have noted and the bed was very comfortable. The heating/air conditioning system was quiet and efficient. The staff were helpful. We enjoyed hot chocolate from a machine up on the top floor, where there is a lounge, an exit to the outside with partial views of the city, and a fitness center. I thought the $28 daily parking fee was excessive. The desk clerk told me the hotel did not own the parking structure, which appears physically attached to the hotel. You can call in advance to have your car brought down when leaving; otherwise there may be a wait.

Room Tip: On leaving I was told that one can ask in advance for a room away from the street noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Arusha, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at the Club Donatello with a friend in June when I went to San Francisco for a conference. Having arrived for some time, I felt that the pictures on Booking.com didn't do it justice. I was so sorry I missed the Friday Cocktail which is organized for occupants as I left the very morning. My friend attended and she just kept going on and on about how lovely it was and how many nice people she met.The rooms are very spacious and very well kept.
I especially loved the division between the room and coffee/tea deck.
It is within walking distance of Union Square, China Town and many shops.
I absolutely loved my stay at Club Donatello.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Donatello Hotel? Share your experiences!