“Great location, but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #110 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
Rochester, New York
“Great location, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

First the good points -
The location of this hotel is great! One block off Fisherman's Wharf with a small mall of shops right across the street if you need something quick. There are individuals fire pits with seating areas outside which are cool. You can sit, have a smoke and/or a drink and people watch. It's very inviting. Problem is there are many homeless people in SF and this is a nice warm area to sit awhile and take snooze. The management needs to better patrol this area so that doesn't happen. The room size was fine and the bed was quite comfortable. They have an outdoor heated pool, hot tub and an indoor fitness room.
Now the bad points -
The room key cards suck! I traveled with my husband and 2 girlfriends. I went thru 6 keycards and my girlfriend went thru 7 for their room. I would get back to the hotel try to get in my room to find out the card didn't work. Go back down to the lobby, get a new card programmed, try to get on the elevator to find out the new card didn't work! It got pretty frustrating. There isn't really a restaurant in this hotel. There is a Starbucks and you can get a sandwich, salad and/or soup. There is only a breakfast buffet, to the tune of $24.99. I can't eat that much food. It has the smallest bathroom and most narrow tub I think I've ever seen. The people working at the Starbucks counter had NO personality and were border line rude. The front desk staff wasn't much better.
Again, the location may be fantastic but I won't be staying there again.
Finally, I know most hotels in large cities do this, but it ticks me off to pay $169.00 for a room and then have to pay an additional $46.00 per day for valet parking.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Mary Catherine,

Although we were happy to read that you enjoyed our location, the fire pits and pool, we regret that you found some elements of your experience lacking. Please accept our apologies and assurances that this will be addressed.

Michael Hirsch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

First of all, the location of this hotel is fantastic. You can easily walk to and from Fisherman's Wharf and it's right next to a grocery store if you want to pick up a bottle of wine to drink in your room. I have three main complaints about the hotel that would prevent me from staying there again. First of all, the bathroom is extremely narrow. I am 7 months pregnant and with my bump I had to do some interesting maneuvers in the bathroom to get the door closed. The shower is also very narrow so I had to stand sideways so as to not have my elbows hit the wall (which resulted in either my belly hitting the wall or pushing the shower curtain outwards). The rest of the room was quite spacious though. My more concerning criticism has to do with getting a taxi from the hotel. In the evening I asked the concierge what time I should get a taxi to the Moscone Center in order to arrive at a certain time the next day and whether I needed to pre-arrange this. I was told to come down to the lobby 30 minutes before I wanted to be at the Moscone Center and they would get a taxi for me at that time. So, the next morning I came down at 7:06 am. There was no valet or bell-hop outside so I asked a man standing at the concierge desk if I could get a taxi to the Moscone Center. Based on how he was dressed I'm not sure if he was a concierge desk person or a manager. He informed me that his bell-hop had not yet arrived so escorted me outside and pointed to a taxi stand around the corner where there was at least one taxi. I found it odd that a hotel employee would send a visibly pregnant woman down the street rather than trying to flag a cab to pull in front of the hotel, but whatever...I can handle it. So, I walk to the taxi stand where unfortunately the visible taxi from the hotel had just been taken and there were no others in sight after waiting a few minutes. I walk back to the hotel and inform the person behind the concierge desk. He then asks me if I have a cell phone to which I respond "yes" and then he starts giving me the number for a cab service. I found that very strange...I have NEVER been asked to call my own cab from a hotel (not even from cheap 2 star hotels). I start to dial and then then bell-hop arrives so I stop and he immediately went outside and was able to flag down a taxi relatively quickly. I found the entire interaction quite awkward and expect better service from a Sheraton. Lastly, the gentleman at the counter at the wine/coffee bar in the lobby was a bit surly and made me feel unwelcome. On the brighter side the housekeeper we met was very pleasant and friendly, but that unfortunately didn't make up for the other gaps in service. There are other similarly-priced options in the area that I would try next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Kateroni,

Thanks for sharing your experience here. You are absolutely correct - getting a cab should not be such an ordeal. We do it everyday and will certainly take steps to correct this misstep.

We regret the shortcoming and hope that you will accecpt our apologies. We also hope that you will forgive us and consider a return trip. Maybe with the newest member of the family?

NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights in July during July 4th. It was very hard to find parking even in our own hotel parking lot. The entrance to this place was very hard to find and getting around the block during this holiday was insane.. and July 4th wasn't even on a weekend!

The room was adequate with adjoining doors, however the coffee maker was an issue for both rooms and the room keys sporadically worked. We had to go down to the lobby multiple times for it to work. At night, there was this ridiculous noise that sounded like construction and i had a hard time sleeping. I called down to the front desk, but there wasn't much they could do for me. I got so crazy at one point i almost went out a window to see what the issue was.. it might've been some machine/fan/generator thing, but it was annoying!!

The stay was fine but i might stay clear of this whole area to stay in during a holiday like July 4 if you don't like being around a ridiculous amount of people. Nice area though and location to pier 39.

Room Tip: try to get one in the middle of the building and not on the edges where this generator thing that so...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear sleepiebabie,

Fisherman's Wharf is indeed a busy section of town due, for the most part, to the many, many things there are to do and see. Where people choose this area precisely for that reason, we can understand that it may seem crazy to some at times.

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you return - maybe not on July 4 next time!

Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Well, it's past midnight and I am wide awake because I can hear the guy in the next room snoring and upstairs sounds as if 600lbs men are walking around. Every single car that drive by outside sounds as if it is in the room with us too. This place is like a kid with cheap makeup on trying to pass as a grown up. Miniature bathrooms with the sink in the bedroom a la motel style, noisy, no restaurant except for breakfast; and oh-let's not forget $52 for parking! Have no clue where the heat/cooling is because the dinosaur in the corner with non functioning buttons, I think, is for decoration. Retro is not a cute, fun word here. It's wtf have I gotten myself into kind of a thing.
We have three nights of this paradise to savor.
My daughter might dig the heated pool tomorrow- hence the two stars. Also, although the sorry broken lamp in the corner looked pathetic, the room is fairly clean. Next time I will camp in the middle of the freeway- it maybe less noisy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear l3tsg01,

We were sorry to hear that you were disturbed during your visit. We do encourage our Guests to let us know and we do our best to find something that better fits their needs. We regret that we did not have that opportunity.

Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This place might have been a Howard Johnson's or Holiday Inn in a previous life, but Sheraton did a good job on the interior...otherwise a very unassuming and frankly ugly place externally. The rooms were well appointed and the multiple outdoor fireplace nooks were a very nice touch.

The staff were very good and cheerful, noticeably more so than other hotels of this class.

The tourist attractions are three blocks away and all things being equal I'd probably want to stay at the more adjacent hotels; i didn't get a San Franciso "feel." My room faced a public bus facility, though I don't remember being disturbed by the noise. A mixed residential building was on the other side, blending in with the surrounding block or two which was devoid of any interest, charm, or character. At least there was a Trader Joe's nearby, which was the most interesting thing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear lorrink,

We appreciate the comments and are glad that you found the hotel comfortable and our staff friendly and accomodating. The zoning codes for buildings in the Fisherman's Wharf area restrict heights and roof lines. The result is, unfortunately, low, square buildings. However, we were glad to read that you found the interior decor appealing and liked our outdoor firepits.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel was our first stop on honeymoon and fulfilled our expectations perfectly.

Upon arriving at the hotel, after a very fun and informative taxi ride from the airport, we had a very short wait before being checked in. The clerk was incredibly friendly and congratulated us on our marriage and provided us with a room upgrade and complimentary champagne and chocolates in our room, which was a lovely touch.

Our room had been upgraded quite recently and did not look old or tired as some of the other reviews have hinted at. The room looked over the pool area which was very quiet in the evenings and I would assume this was better than a room overlooking the main road running alongside the hotel (next to the bus depot).

We did not eat in the hotel, but given we were within walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 there was no need to eat within the hotel at all. However, we did have a drink at the hotel, sitting at the firepits outside, and while this was lovely the evening we were there, I can see how some of the beggars may congregate in that area on the colder evenings.

All in all, the hotel was perfect for what we required and the location is fantastic and an excellent base for the Fisherman's Wharf area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Louise F,

Congratulations, again, on your wedding. We were so happy that you chose Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf as part of your honeymoon trip. Thanks for the nice review and comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back - perhaps for your first anniversary?

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am a frequent business traveler staying over 100 nights a year. I am a Platinum SPG member so I stay at many Westin and Sheratons around the world.

I was impressed with the level of service at this Sheraton even prior to my arrival. I sent an email letting the manager know we were celebrating an anniversary and asked if he could arrange a room with a view; I received an immediate response; we would be upgraded to a suite.

Check in was smooth and we were told our suite would be ready at 3:30; we left to grab a late lunch and upon our return checked into an incredibly spacious suite; the decor is Jetson's early 70's; the room is clean and modern with blue, white and yellow; the windows are large and open and there is a wet bar, living room and eating area. The shower and bathroom is huge and handicap accessible.

In the evening while we were preparing to go out there was a knock at the door; imagine my surprise when they delivered a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries!!

I would highly recommend this hotel; Bradley Hansen, Front Office Manager, made our stay very special.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lakegirl1927,

We just loved reading about your experience at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. As a frequent traveler and a platinum member of Starwood Preferred Guest program, you certainly are an expert in hotel service evaluation.

It was fabulous to read that we hit all the high notes. Congratulations, again, on your anniversary. Come back to see us soon.

Michael Hirsch

Been to Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel? Share your experiences!