“Wrong choice” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #107 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Seattle
“Wrong choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Well, it's past midnight and I am wide awake because I can hear the guy in the next room snoring and upstairs sounds as if 600lbs men are walking around. Every single car that drive by outside sounds as if it is in the room with us too. This place is like a kid with cheap makeup on trying to pass as a grown up. Miniature bathrooms with the sink in the bedroom a la motel style, noisy, no restaurant except for breakfast; and oh-let's not forget $52 for parking! Have no clue where the heat/cooling is because the dinosaur in the corner with non functioning buttons, I think, is for decoration. Retro is not a cute, fun word here. It's wtf have I gotten myself into kind of a thing.
We have three nights of this paradise to savor.
My daughter might dig the heated pool tomorrow- hence the two stars. Also, although the sorry broken lamp in the corner looked pathetic, the room is fairly clean. Next time I will camp in the middle of the freeway- it maybe less noisy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear l3tsg01,

We were sorry to hear that you were disturbed during your visit. We do encourage our Guests to let us know and we do our best to find something that better fits their needs. We regret that we did not have that opportunity.

2,166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This place might have been a Howard Johnson's or Holiday Inn in a previous life, but Sheraton did a good job on the interior...otherwise a very unassuming and frankly ugly place externally. The rooms were well appointed and the multiple outdoor fireplace nooks were a very nice touch.

The staff were very good and cheerful, noticeably more so than other hotels of this class.

The tourist attractions are three blocks away and all things being equal I'd probably want to stay at the more adjacent hotels; i didn't get a San Franciso "feel." My room faced a public bus facility, though I don't remember being disturbed by the noise. A mixed residential building was on the other side, blending in with the surrounding block or two which was devoid of any interest, charm, or character. At least there was a Trader Joe's nearby, which was the most interesting thing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear lorrink,

We appreciate the comments and are glad that you found the hotel comfortable and our staff friendly and accomodating. The zoning codes for buildings in the Fisherman's Wharf area restrict heights and roof lines. The result is, unfortunately, low, square buildings. However, we were glad to read that you found the interior decor appealing and liked our outdoor firepits.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel was our first stop on honeymoon and fulfilled our expectations perfectly.

Upon arriving at the hotel, after a very fun and informative taxi ride from the airport, we had a very short wait before being checked in. The clerk was incredibly friendly and congratulated us on our marriage and provided us with a room upgrade and complimentary champagne and chocolates in our room, which was a lovely touch.

Our room had been upgraded quite recently and did not look old or tired as some of the other reviews have hinted at. The room looked over the pool area which was very quiet in the evenings and I would assume this was better than a room overlooking the main road running alongside the hotel (next to the bus depot).

We did not eat in the hotel, but given we were within walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 there was no need to eat within the hotel at all. However, we did have a drink at the hotel, sitting at the firepits outside, and while this was lovely the evening we were there, I can see how some of the beggars may congregate in that area on the colder evenings.

All in all, the hotel was perfect for what we required and the location is fantastic and an excellent base for the Fisherman's Wharf area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Louise F,

Congratulations, again, on your wedding. We were so happy that you chose Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf as part of your honeymoon trip. Thanks for the nice review and comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back - perhaps for your first anniversary?

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am a frequent business traveler staying over 100 nights a year. I am a Platinum SPG member so I stay at many Westin and Sheratons around the world.

I was impressed with the level of service at this Sheraton even prior to my arrival. I sent an email letting the manager know we were celebrating an anniversary and asked if he could arrange a room with a view; I received an immediate response; we would be upgraded to a suite.

Check in was smooth and we were told our suite would be ready at 3:30; we left to grab a late lunch and upon our return checked into an incredibly spacious suite; the decor is Jetson's early 70's; the room is clean and modern with blue, white and yellow; the windows are large and open and there is a wet bar, living room and eating area. The shower and bathroom is huge and handicap accessible.

In the evening while we were preparing to go out there was a knock at the door; imagine my surprise when they delivered a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries!!

I would highly recommend this hotel; Bradley Hansen, Front Office Manager, made our stay very special.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lakegirl1927,

We just loved reading about your experience at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. As a frequent traveler and a platinum member of Starwood Preferred Guest program, you certainly are an expert in hotel service evaluation.

It was fabulous to read that we hit all the high notes. Congratulations, again, on your anniversary. Come back to see us soon.

Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

But not so much this time... Stayed here 15 yrs ago right after we were married. Was looking for a place close to the wharf. Husband traveling for business, my mother, two children and myself tagged along. We were upgraded to a I don't know what the upgrade was type room on the third floor.
Pros: Most of the staff very friendly and helpful when you could get their attention. Heated Pool was nice for my children to burn some energy. Newly remodeled, housekeeping and maintenance staff always working. Close to everything...
Cons: Lack of staff, Very busy hotel, waited in line after line for just about everything. When calling front desk, phone would ring and ring. Our key cards never worked for more than 24 hours at a time. Each day would have to wait in long lines just to get our key cards straightened out. We stayed 5 days. Room Service had limited hours. Breakfast for my daughter and self was just ok, 50.00 later for a small amount of food, I expected a little better than average.. Because of location very small rooms run about 300.00 a night. I was pretty dissapointed in the SFW, was hoping it would be just as amazing as I remembered 15 years ago.. It was not a terrible hotel, but it could be a lot better...It appears that staff has been cut, or positions have not been filled. It shows directly in customer service. Waited 20 mins at times to get car from valet. At 45.00 plus tip/per day, should be able to get car right away. But, the only valet person was soooo busy, it was difficult to be upset with someone working their tail off...I would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear TargetDude,

Where it was great to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, we regret that your experience was not everything you desired. True, we are a very popular and busy hotel but that should not affect our service levels. We will redouble our efforts going forward.

Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Windhoek, Namibia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The carpet, wallpaper, light fixtures and rooms are a throwback to the early 70s, felt like a backstage set from the Brady Bunch. Great location and excellent service. In spite of the funky decor I'd definitely stay at the Sheraton on Fisherman's wharf again. It's a short walk to North Beach and all the restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear B G,

Thanks for the 4 star review of Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. We are glad that you would definitely return here.

Although we completed our renovation less than 5 years ago, the design team did select a somewhat retro look. As with many design concepts, some like it, some not so much.

It was a pleasure to serve you. Come back soon.

Mission Viejo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

1st, I would rate at 2.5 if I can but the system does not allow this option.

The location is great and very convenience if you want to be by the pier, grocery, parking lot, restaurants, Cable car, Union square and so on. You can't beat this. The staffs are friendly.

Other than that, everything else is just average and below the "Sheraton" standard, in my opinion. It is nice that this was renovated recently which provided a flat screen HDTV, newer and comfortable bed, clean bathroom and carpet. AC does not work but I did not need during my short stay. It's good to see one free bottle of water per day which is good for making coffee in the morning (Starbucks). The décor is average, nothing stand out.

I got the corner room on the 3rd floor and you can hear noises everywhere. From the hallway, next rooms to the street below. Being the corner room, the two walls are facing the main street so you can hear every cars, trucks driving by and people talking as they walked by. The one window "view" is block by a tree.. so all you see..leaves...

Breakfast offering is not that great and not that many seats. Expect some waiting if you want a full breakfast. It's not worth it based on pricing and foods offering. You can get much better breakfast within 5~10min walking distance. Although, the café/bakery at the lobby does offer decent foods selection and wines. Still, it's SF so why would you want to eat at the hotel, unless you are really lazy to walk outside.

WiFi did not work for me in the room, but I was out the whole day so it does not matter that much. The lobby offers free WiFi so if you need Internet access, just go there, find a seat and start surfing away.

Overall, it's just an average place to stay if you only care for a clean and a convenient location.

Room Tip: Look for a room facing the pool so you have less outside noises from cars and trucks so you can slee...