“Great experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #109 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am a frequent business traveler staying over 100 nights a year. I am a Platinum SPG member so I stay at many Westin and Sheratons around the world.

I was impressed with the level of service at this Sheraton even prior to my arrival. I sent an email letting the manager know we were celebrating an anniversary and asked if he could arrange a room with a view; I received an immediate response; we would be upgraded to a suite.

Check in was smooth and we were told our suite would be ready at 3:30; we left to grab a late lunch and upon our return checked into an incredibly spacious suite; the decor is Jetson's early 70's; the room is clean and modern with blue, white and yellow; the windows are large and open and there is a wet bar, living room and eating area. The shower and bathroom is huge and handicap accessible.

In the evening while we were preparing to go out there was a knock at the door; imagine my surprise when they delivered a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries!!

I would highly recommend this hotel; Bradley Hansen, Front Office Manager, made our stay very special.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Lakegirl1927,

We just loved reading about your experience at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. As a frequent traveler and a platinum member of Starwood Preferred Guest program, you certainly are an expert in hotel service evaluation.

It was fabulous to read that we hit all the high notes. Congratulations, again, on your anniversary. Come back to see us soon.

2,295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

But not so much this time... Stayed here 15 yrs ago right after we were married. Was looking for a place close to the wharf. Husband traveling for business, my mother, two children and myself tagged along. We were upgraded to a I don't know what the upgrade was type room on the third floor.
Pros: Most of the staff very friendly and helpful when you could get their attention. Heated Pool was nice for my children to burn some energy. Newly remodeled, housekeeping and maintenance staff always working. Close to everything...
Cons: Lack of staff, Very busy hotel, waited in line after line for just about everything. When calling front desk, phone would ring and ring. Our key cards never worked for more than 24 hours at a time. Each day would have to wait in long lines just to get our key cards straightened out. We stayed 5 days. Room Service had limited hours. Breakfast for my daughter and self was just ok, 50.00 later for a small amount of food, I expected a little better than average.. Because of location very small rooms run about 300.00 a night. I was pretty dissapointed in the SFW, was hoping it would be just as amazing as I remembered 15 years ago.. It was not a terrible hotel, but it could be a lot better...It appears that staff has been cut, or positions have not been filled. It shows directly in customer service. Waited 20 mins at times to get car from valet. At 45.00 plus tip/per day, should be able to get car right away. But, the only valet person was soooo busy, it was difficult to be upset with someone working their tail off...I would probably not stay here again.

Dear TargetDude,

Where it was great to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, we regret that your experience was not everything you desired. True, we are a very popular and busy hotel but that should not affect our service levels. We will redouble our efforts going forward.

Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Windhoek, Namibia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The carpet, wallpaper, light fixtures and rooms are a throwback to the early 70s, felt like a backstage set from the Brady Bunch. Great location and excellent service. In spite of the funky decor I'd definitely stay at the Sheraton on Fisherman's wharf again. It's a short walk to North Beach and all the restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear B G,

Thanks for the 4 star review of Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. We are glad that you would definitely return here.

Although we completed our renovation less than 5 years ago, the design team did select a somewhat retro look. As with many design concepts, some like it, some not so much.

It was a pleasure to serve you. Come back soon.

Mission Viejo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

1st, I would rate at 2.5 if I can but the system does not allow this option.

The location is great and very convenience if you want to be by the pier, grocery, parking lot, restaurants, Cable car, Union square and so on. You can't beat this. The staffs are friendly.

Other than that, everything else is just average and below the "Sheraton" standard, in my opinion. It is nice that this was renovated recently which provided a flat screen HDTV, newer and comfortable bed, clean bathroom and carpet. AC does not work but I did not need during my short stay. It's good to see one free bottle of water per day which is good for making coffee in the morning (Starbucks). The décor is average, nothing stand out.

I got the corner room on the 3rd floor and you can hear noises everywhere. From the hallway, next rooms to the street below. Being the corner room, the two walls are facing the main street so you can hear every cars, trucks driving by and people talking as they walked by. The one window "view" is block by a tree.. so all you see..leaves...

Breakfast offering is not that great and not that many seats. Expect some waiting if you want a full breakfast. It's not worth it based on pricing and foods offering. You can get much better breakfast within 5~10min walking distance. Although, the café/bakery at the lobby does offer decent foods selection and wines. Still, it's SF so why would you want to eat at the hotel, unless you are really lazy to walk outside.

WiFi did not work for me in the room, but I was out the whole day so it does not matter that much. The lobby offers free WiFi so if you need Internet access, just go there, find a seat and start surfing away.

Overall, it's just an average place to stay if you only care for a clean and a convenient location.

Room Tip: Look for a room facing the pool so you have less outside noises from cars and trucks so you can slee...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear 3musketeers24,

We appreciate your comments and shared them with our Team here. Thanks for the nice comments about our friendly staff, clean rooms and great location. We also read with great interest your suggestions which we will take into account for future improvements.

Best wishes for continued happy travels. Hope to see you soon.

Sonoma, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My 11 year old and I recently did an overnighter in San Francisco. We live in the north bay and he wanted to do the Exploratorium and the Academy of Sciences.
We were lucky enough to get a room on a walk in on a Saturday night. The hotel was very nice and clean.. The pool was really nice and my boy had a great time.. Our receptionist, Margarita went above and beyond to make our stay pleasant and enjoyable.
A really nice stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear smokdfsh,

Thanks for the 4 star rating. We enjoyed reading about how you enjoyed our staff and found our hotel perfect for your mini-break.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf soon.

Sinerely,
Long Beach, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place has slipped from very good to unacceptable. The safe in the room and the HVAC system didn't work. They fixed them, but the guests should not have to do quality control. CPA issue? There was no restaurant, just a wine bar with convenience store snacks, all overpriced not to mention a surly server who felt above bringing the order to your table. They had an outdoor weekend 4 -8 PM beer garden, if having a cool one on a 50 degree day is your thing. To add insult to injury, they charged me for the complimentary wi-fi, and for the room itself, which I booked using SPG points. I only found this out after not getting a printed folio at the hotel, nor getting it in my e-mail, but finally having to call and ask them to send it to me. When I pointed out the issues they said they'd look into it and get back with me the next day. We are talking $300.When this has occurred before the hotels have instantly addressed the issue, and refunded the amount when appropriate. The concierges however were outstanding and deserve better support than this.

Dear ClassOf52,

So sorry that you experience was not up to your expectations. We regret the inconvenience you may have experienced. Please let me know if I may assist you in clearing up the billing issue.

Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hotel was in a good area to access Fisherman's Wharf and the F Line cars. The facility is aged and only 4 stories tall. The street noise was loud at night. The room size was nice but the bathroom size was small. Because of the setup, at night when you turned the bathroom light on, the room lit up. Not well planned. The pillows were BAD. Bring your own here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. You pay for the location here. Business meeting space was fine and accessible. IHOP across the street. Save some money here vs some of the other places.

Room Tip: Check where the room is located in the hotel and stay away from the streets if possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Doug P S,

We were pleased to read that you enjoyed our location, the room size and friendly staff members. Sorry you did not like the pillows. We do stock a variety of alternative types, so be sure to ask on future visits.

Thanks for the feedback.

Michael Hirsch

Been to Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel? Share your experiences!