“Poor service, mediocre rooms, superb location” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel

You added Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #111 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Rio de Janeiro
“Poor service, mediocre rooms, superb location”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

For tourists this franchise Sheraton is well located near Fisherman's Wharf. The facilities are mid-60's motel remade to imitate a hotel, but still with paper-thin walls and no protection against noise. The breakfast for Platinums is a joke, they do not permit Platinum access to the buffet, but only a plastic juice and piece of bread from the really lousy little stand beside the breakfast room. Hotel management is contemptuous of guest requests, enough so that several staffers apologize for hotel policies.

In short, this place is for gullible tourists only. Otherwise it is a bad choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bradley H, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
We are sorry that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. Our hotel provides our Platinum members with complimentary breakfast that includes our full breakfast buffet in Sol. We apologize that there was some sort of disconnect on this amenity. We will be sure to share your feedback with our staff to ensure our guests are being informed of the different benefits our Starwood Preferred Guest program offers. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is good if you are after just somewhere to sleep. No wifi in the room (it is free in the lobby but I would rather conduct my business in private) the bath was too small and there was quite a lot of noise from the surrounding streets, the decor in the halls makes you feel dizzy too!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. We apologize that you did have the enjoyable experience that most our guests have. Being located in the heart of the city we encounter the noises of the city but do our best to limit our guest’s exposure. If you are a light sleeper we can always accommodate a quiet room request.
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

3 Stars for this hotel. This was to be our one 'splurge' hotel on a two week holiday, and I was really looking forward to it.
We chose this hotel over others in the area because of the Sheraton reputation. Sheraton is synonymous with being up market, offering the highest standards....and for $250 a night, that is exactly what I expected.
What I didn't expect was;
1; That the bellhop would watch as I struggled to get my luggage inside to the check in desk. At no time did anyone offer to help me with my luggage on arrival.
2; That the two staff behind the check in counter wouldn't even acknowledge my existence until they'd finished their conversation......although when they did eventually acknowledge me, they were reasonably pleasant.
3; That at $250 a night, I had to pay (and pay premium rates!) for wifi when it comes free in cheaper hotels, and at any Starbucks or McDonalds.
4; That ANY hotel, let alone a Sheraton branded hotel would put plastic disposable cups in their rooms and expect their guests to have to ask for proper drinking glasses. That, to me, was almost contemptuous. Are your guests not worthy of a proper drinking glass?
5; That on check out, again, nobody offered to help me with my luggage.

The room itself wasn't anything to write home about. It wasn't bad, but it was nothing special either. It's reasonably clean, but it's starting to look a bit dated. The bathroom is seriously small, to the point of being claustrophobic, and I'm not a large person. Certainly it's the smallest bathroom of any hotel I have ever stayed in. The toiletries offered are sparse and generic.
I realise that mattress comfort is subjective thing, the "sweet sleeper" bed was not the super comfy, 'sleeping on a cloud' experience that I expected. It was a mattress. Not even a pillow top. It was a little on the firm side for me, but nothing worth promoting.
The window coverings are awful. They LOOK nice, but that's all. Have them open and have zero privacy, or have them closed and have no natural light.

On the positiive side, while it's not the closest to the main attractions of Fishermans wharf, it's still very close. I didn't experience any of the noise that other reviewers noted.
The outdoor lounge area with the gas log fire pits are a nice place to relax if you can tolerate the cigarette smokers.

Put simply, it was the most expensive hotel we stayed in (by far!) yet it was no better, and in some cases, it was worse than the hotels we stayed in for half the price. For a Sheraton hotel charging premium prices, at the very least, I'd expect help with my luggage and a decent drinking glass in my room.
I would recommend this property as a mid range motel if it offered mid range pricing, but at $250 for a basic, no view room.....I definately don't recomment it...look elsewhere. With its lack of decent provisions, wifi and its plastic cups, it's clear that this place operates on a tight fisted (miserly) budget. It is waaaaay overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chula Vista Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Close to everything on the warf! The cable car stop was a block away. the tour bus' are a block away. A safeway grocery and walgreens drug are across the street. IHOP is across the street. sea food and sourdough is abundant just 1 block away, on the warf and Pier 39 is less than 3 blocks away.

yet the hotel pool felt private, despite the hotel being in the heart of it all.Pool was landscaped nicely and was a good temperature NO hot tub, though which would have been a plus on a cool San fran night. Outside the lobby was a trend setting cooridor of couches facing outside firepits , which were in use at all times (very popular!). The beds were extremely comfortable!. Decor throughout was whimsical. Nicely tiled shower but the towels were not in with the shower.The Hotel staff was lovlely. The rooms were clean and maid service was timely. THERE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE ANY NO REAL VIEWS ROOMS at this hotel. Inside rooms are quiet. You have to pay foR wi fi and $46 plus tax for parking. so leave your car at home. The lobby has a cafe with snacks and breakfast items with plenty of tables in the lobby for snacking, and using electroncics. Wonderful experience. We checked in early on a weekend were accomodated with an upgraded room! If i moved my chair to the window, i could peak at the Coit tower.

Room Tip: you may want an inside pool view to avoid street traffic on the outside rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bradley H, Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. Our location is definitely ideal for travelers who want to enjoy what San Francisco has to offer. We are in walking distance to numerous San Francisco attractions!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went there with my family and we found that this hotel was very nice with nice clean rooms and bath rooms.
The location was also very good 5mins from fishermans wharf where you can go to alcatras.
the only thing i could complain about is that there was not any bar where you could relax in the eveing just a cafateria.
please also beaware that sanfrancisco can get very chilly in the evenings even in mid summer you will need jumpers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Everytime we're in SF we stay at the Sheraton. Always clean and close by everything. They have firepits outside for those cold SF nights. Customer service is always good as well. The only complaint I have is the valet parking... $50 for parking :(

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aurora, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were here for 3 nights and the location couldn't have been better for the things we wanted to do. It was within walking distance for ferries, shopping, restaurants, etc. The staff was friendly and helpful. My only issue with the room is that the shower is really narrow. I'm an average-sized person and I had the shower curtain sticking to me while I showered. Silly, but that wouldn't stop me from staying here again. The price was much lower than other hotels with the same amenities, and we didn't stay in the room very much.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel? Share your experiences!