“Best Concierge team!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel

You added Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #111 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Rye, New York
“Best Concierge team!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

When you think about the Sheraton brand, the first thing that comes to your mind is business, not leisure. Well, this Sheraton seems to be more about leisure than business, partly due to its location (Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39) and partly to its design, nice, easy, warm, and relaxing. You don't want to think about work there. We tried to check in after two international flights, 14 hours in total, at 2 30pm (normal check in time is 3pm) and asked for a quiet room. The view or no view since quiet rooms face the courtyard didn't bother us, we just wanted to be away from loud trams or guests at the pool. The room wasn't ready and a Front Desk Agent asked us to wait for 1,5 hours for 'rush to clean'. Is it really a rush? Then a 3pm shift started its duty and I tried my luck to check if the room was ready after 30 minutes waiting. And yes, it was ready! The room had all basic amenities and toiletries. We had to ask for a water boiler and an adaptor that were provided free of charge. The only problem was the absence of sound proof that bothered our sleep sometimes. We could hear other people next to us and above us. Overall, Housekeeping team was great and efficient! However, the best team at this hotel is Concierge team! These guys are helpful, knowledgeable, social, and fantastic! We are so thankful to them for all their help! Great job! Yes, sometimes there are lines to Concierge desk, some questions take time. Just stay patient and they will take care of you with a smile. We loved San Francisco and wish to be back some day!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The staff at this hotel are fantastic! Ramon, at the bell desk, helped me and my husband with our luggage requests several times, and what a gracious, kind, and efficient person he is. He went out of his way to meet our needs and always with warmth and professionalism. Vanessa at the front desk made my morning so much more relaxed when she was able to allow me a late check out. I am eternally indebted as I was having a problem with my blood sugar (I'm diabetic) and I really needed some extra time. We had a great stay here mostly because of the wonderful staff. In fairness to other readers, I will admit the hotel is in a very old building and could use a few updates, but the room was super clean, and the bed was amazingly comfortable. Also, you just can't beat this location if you want to be near everything in Fisherman's Wharf.

Room Tip: The roof view rooms have a terrible view of the roof, but mine was super quiet, which is what I had...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco and were most impressed. Our daughter lives in San Fran and we were a 10 minute cab ride to her. There were always cabs readily available as well as the streetcars and cable cars that were just a few blocks away.
The staff was incredible. Upon arriving and checking in we mentioned that we were driving to Napa/Yountville the next day and BRADEY the Front Office Manager immediately mentioned he was from that area and offered many suggestions for wineries, restaurants and his favorite spot, Bouchon Bakery in Yountville. This is a MUST!!!! Amazing macaroons.
Great location.....easy access to many places. Rooms were very clean and quiet. They have several outdoor fireplaces that are near the front door and the perfect place for waiting for your ride to pick you up. There is a rental car place on site, which was very convenient. Loved our stay here and will definitely return for another stay here.

Bury St Edmunds, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for 6 nights in April as a family in two interconnecting rooms.
We like to stay in modern, clean and fresh hotels and initial impressions of the sheraton were very good. Although the exterior of the hotel is dated the lobby is nice and modern. The car attendants do a good job of keeping the small drive clear. It is worth noting that they give you 15 mins to park up, unload and check in before you have to move or park your car. We chose not to continue our car rental whilst in San Francisco as the Sheraton charges $45 plus taxes to park for 24hours and you really are able to travel about the city without a car. Sheraton uses a third party car park and so this isn't really their fault - parking in San Francisco is expensive generally. The location of the hotel is excellent, being literally a 5 min walk from Fishermans Wharf and 10 mins to Alcatraz Pier. Even the city centre can be walked to but will take 45mins and some steep hills! We took a taxi to the AT&T park which is on the opposite side of the city and this only cost $15. A taxi back from Union Square (central) was $12. The taxi drivers also seemed quite surprised when I tipped. There is a Safeway food shop and a Walgreens pharmacy next to the hotel although this is a fairly dirty and older shopping centre attracting a few homeless or drunk people.
The rooms have been freshened up and in general are very light, airy and a good size although the bathrooms are very small. The shower is perfectly adequate too. Despite being recently renovated, there are some signs of poor repairs and knocked edges, chipped marble, rusted air vents. The air con is also an old single floor unit which can be quite loud and difficult to leave on at night due to a variable and loud fan. The curtains are not blackout either, and the design of the hotel is such that rooms face other rooms on another wing which means that privacy can be poor unless the curtains are closed.
The biggest downside of the rooms is the appalling sound intrusion from outside. The windows have not been renewed and are single pane with poorly fitting opening section. I am not exaggerating to say that noises from outside can be heard AS IF THE WINDOW WAS OPEN! The trams run until 0030 and start again at 0630 and we were woken a few times by trucks unloading or just people walking past talking. I might expect this when staying in a residential house but not from a 4+ star hotel like the Sheraton. I did complain and we were moved to another room. This was only marginally better. Other guests were complaining about noise too. I think most rooms would suffer from this problem given the design of the hotel. I would comment that we never heard any noises from other rooms or corridors but this may be because we were on the top floor and at the end of a corridor so had an end wall as well as no passing guests. The manager was apologetic, helpful and reduced our room charges as well as providing wine and biscuits the next night, so I think he did all he could do as the noise issues are a problem that he can do very little about.
We ate room service on one occasion and the quality of the food was excellent and it was delivered on time. The price was a bit high at $75 for x2 Caesar salads ($16 each) and two kids meals at $11. I was also surprised when the person taking the order started a coughing fit partway through and didn't even apologise, just re-asking their question!
I found the concierge very helpful, especially Jay Jay who organised tickets for a baseball game and organised a town car to the airport (for $55).
WIFI was free in the lobby (though quite slow) but $10 per day in the rooms. I still disagree with charging for Internet especially when the two hotels I stayed in during the first part of the holiday had it free and numerous shops now do it free too.
Overall, nice enough rooms but all overshadowed by the intrusion of loud outside noises meaning a poor quality sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf during a trip down the west coast of America. It's centrally located within the Fisherman's Wharf area and is close to handy mini mall with a supermarket, pharmacy and various other stores. There are some great restaurants close by, however would recommend that you try to find these yourself, as the hotel staff were always trying to 'recommend' restaurant's/eateries that they got commission out of. You can tell the hotel is a little old, however it has been refurbished and the rooms and quite modern and quirky. Rooms can be a little noisy as noise seems to penetrate from the halls into rooms, however all in all I've experienced much noisier properties. We did have a minor issue with the air conditioning in the room on one evening as it would not switch off, however their engineering staff came and reset it for us and managed to fix the control panel. Staff at reception always seemed to be friendly, and the free internet access in the lobby was quick and easy to use! We also spent some nights outside the lobby as they have an awesome little seating area with small fires and coaches that you can use while having a few drinks, using the internet, or just socializing. Overall we were not expecting much of the property initially, however were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Would recommend it to stay as long as you get a good, reasonable rate, however recommend that you ask for an outside street view room if possible.

Room Tip: Choose an outside facing room with a view however these can also experience soom street noise, so wo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here during a holiday in San Francisco.
The location is nice and convenient to lots of interesting things to see at the different piers, and a good amount of restaurants.
It was a short walk to trams/cable cars that would take you into town.
The beds were comfortable, and the room was kept clean, although it did seem somewhat dated.
The walls weren't insulated that great, thought I heard some noise from the room next to mine on some occasions, though it didn't particularly bother me as there was no noise when I wanted to sleep.
I was happy enough with the service, though I guess I didn't have any particular problems during my stay.
I didn't have any meals in the hotel, as I was quite happy to go exploring for food in other places nearby the hotel.
Whilst it wasn't particularly cheap, it wasn't that expensive either. I have stayed in worse hotels that cost me more.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel is in a good location near everything touristy and the bus stop. The service is average but they don't go out of their way to help. There was a blackout during my stay and there were no emergency lights in the stairwells and no note from Management was provided afterwards apologizing for the inconvenience.

The most disappointing thing is that they offer amenities but nothing included and all of the extras are expensive. The in-room wifi (daily or weekly rate), the breakfast ($26/day), the parking ($45/day), and even the requested mini-fridge ($15/day) are all additional costs. Be sure to factor that in the price when deciding on picking this hotel.

Noise: The hotel has gone through a renovation but it is still an old hotel. I could hear the guests in the room above walking and talking. Also, housekeeping starts knocking on doors at 9am and they aren't exactly quiet throughout the day, so forget about sleeping in or taking a mid-day nap.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel? Share your experiences!