“Priceline "name your price" surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel

You added Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #112 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Southwest
“Priceline "name your price" surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Used Priceline's "name your price" for first time, seeking other two "higher rated" hotels for Fisherman's Wharf, Hyatt or Argonaut and ended up with this Sheraton. Hesitant at first for this older property, yet in the end, for the price, it was a nice change of place. Priceline's star rating for this property questionable/borderline, but maybe supported by Starwoods brand name and generally attentive friendly staff.

Enjoyed:
- top floor quiter inside view rooms. SF outside rooms in most hotels can get quite noisey.
- Heavenly beds
- "remodeled" rooms
- Fire pits
- close to local supermarket and small local joints for quick bite to eat or coffee
- Accommodating front staff
- short run to Hoppers hands at the fort via waterfront walkways...about 3 mile.

Tips:
- If renting from Dollar as we did for day or two, clarify parking partnership/relationship/ticket steps with hotel and attendants otherwise checkout credit shuffle as we ended up with.
- cab traffic hit and miss on this Wharf "edge" location
- a.m. front counter suggested towncar service to airport rate reasonable compared to cab fare.
- p.m. weekend bellman "negotiated" town car service rate to short distance restaurant laughable, glad we had local with us who pointed out the difference. kick back?
- thin room walls, kids next door...thank goodness they tuckered out early.

Room Tip: suggest request inside, top floor rooms. Enjoy views while out and about, sleep better while in.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear DesertCasa, thank you so much for the detailed review and 4-star rating. I was pleased you were able to obtain a great value rate during your recent stay with us and that you enjoyed our quiet rooms, comfy Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, fire pits and our recent renovation results. I hope you both have a great new year, and here's wishing you both warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

There was something a little impersonal about this hotel except for the guy at the front door who is exceptionally helpful.

The location is superb for exploring the wharf or heading to Alcatraz. The rooms are also superb although navigating the corridors can be confusing at first.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear ShaneCart, thank you for the review of our hotel and 4-star rating on our cleanliness, rooms, sleep quality and location. I was pleased you enjoyed our proximity to attractions such as Alcatraz and hope you can return soon. Take care and warm regards,
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed here after a long haul flight from Australia. We asked for a quiet room which although did not have a view had the most comfortable bed an pillows for s restful sleep. Rooms are modern, bright (great contrast to winter cold outside) and great location near the wharf. We caught a tram into town easily and visited alcatraz based on a short walk. Great stay for price and comfort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Heidi_S, thanks so much for the 4-star review and so sorry you had bad jet lag from the flight in. It is a long flight from Perth, so I certainly understand and was pleased to hear you had a very restful sleep in our comfy Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed. Thank you both for the visit and I hope you can return soon. Take care and warm regards,
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Do not stay here if you can have the option to stay elsewhere (like the Hyatt). Unfortunately, we decided to have a change of plans and wanted to stay in SF an additional two nights. However, the Hyatt was already out of rooms, so we moved to the Sheraton down the street. Worse experience!!! The day that we moved, it was raining. I had already made arrangements at the Hyatt to leave my car there an additional two more nights because they gave me a special rate that I couldn't resist. When I was unloading our luggage in the rain, the valet parker came to me with an umbrella and ask me if I was valeting with them, and I said no. He said "Oh" and walked away leaving me in the rain with all my luggage. Our paper bags ripped, our LVs were all wet, not to mention us. We checked in, and I complained to the front who told me that he would talk to the manager (they never up dated me with what happened). We were allowed to check in early, which is a plus. We got to the very out dated room. It was horrible. The carpet was all dirty with spots, the bathroom was soo small, it was hard to even take a shower. We went to go take a nap and to our disbelief, the sheets were all dirty and stained. The TV controller didn't work either. I had to call the front to have everything replaced. The walls are soo thin, you can hear everything (from people coming home drunk at 2 AM, to the trash pick up at 5 AM). Upon check out, I complained again, and the response was, "Why didn't you talk to the manager?" That was it. NEVER STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Cookietaro, I am so sorry you had a poor experience at our hotel from bad weather on arrival to a room that needed closer attention from our housekeeping team. I do hope you can contact my office as I would like to make this right with you with a return night stay for your next visit to San Francisco. Please accept our apologies and I hope you can return soon so we can show you an exceptional time on our next visit. Take care and warm regards,
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This hotel has a great location and it is clear that it is coming to the end of a refurbishment that has improved the place. The lobby bar and outside seating with gas fires was unexpected, but good. The only downside of the hotel was that it's not very quiet - my room faced the valet parking station and there was constant traffic. But with San Francisco food and long days of exploring, you are too tired to notice especially with such a comfortable bed.

The location is excellent - walking distance to the waterfront, Alcatraz cruise and the starting point of many of the hop-on-hop-off bus tours. It's also on the old trolley car route and start point of two of the cable car lines. As a tourist in San Fran, I'd definitely stay here again.

The only disappointment was the airport transfer booked through the concierge. Bad driving (driver had his iPhone to his ear most of the journey even on the expressway) and the price quoted by the concierge was the starting price not the actual price. You're better off getting a cab.

Room Tip: If you're in Block 1, don't go on the lower floors. Very noisy and the floors are very thin...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Nhhk, thank you so much for the outstanding review and 4-star rating of our hotel. I was pleased you enjoyed our outdoor firepits, comfy Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and convenient location. I hope you and your friends can return soon. Wishing you a great new year and warm regards,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Sheraton Hotel was nice; but what they don't tell you when you're going to rent a car from the Dollar Rent-a-Car inside their facility is that they charge you an additional fee of $45.00 per day just for parking the vehicle in the Sheraton parking structure underneath. Had we known that we would have considered staying at another hotel where they don't charge you or offer a discount for vehicle parking. So we ended up paying $350.00 total to rent a car for two days. Crazy! No-where does it say it in the contract nor on the hotel receipt that you will be charged extra. Lesson learned! Aside from that...would we stay there again...Not likely!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the floor level. You won't sleep if people are walking around the street...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear EstherGonzalez, thank you so much for the across the board 5-star review of the hotel facilities and services. I was pleased you enjoyed the visit and apologize the car rental agency we have on property did not fully explain all the fees up front. I will insure the owner of the agency is made aware of your suggestions and hope you can plan a return visit soon. Thanks again and warm regards,
singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 15/12-17/12. Was raining i had to ask for a brolly right after checking in, was told they're all out, turned my back, someone else got it. No big deal, Walgreen's just right around the corner.

Booked fm spg.com, but was given priceline room. Bed with under-size sheets with most part of the mattress exposed and the worst had got to be those nasty naked duvet inserts left on the bed. I thought they were comforters, nicely tucked in, but they were yellowish, took a closer look and they turned out to be duvets without covers. Unhygenic and disgusting. My room number was 1227, which was on ground level, right next to the hotel entrance. Nice, got to know who's coming in and out of the hotel 24/7.

Took a cab to everywhere, but strangely none from the hotel lobby. These cabbies were the nicest people i've met in the city. Ok, i tend to tip service provider a little more than i should, even for take-outs at restuarants, as long as they have common respect for others. Never take advantage of a working class.

Was at the lobby at 4am 17/12 to use free wifi. The lobby was hardly manned. When manned, the front desk guy was pretty mean to people he came in contact with. If not, people walked in freely, includng a rough take-out boy who demanded an answer from me as to where's the front desk guy. daunting.

Revisiting SF after two decades, i realised i don't like this city anymore. People in SF used to have greater self-respect to treat visitors with common respect. Now its the only city in CA that judge people based on their look. People frown at you unanimously if you don't wear dark coloured jacket like them as if the city is mourning or something.

This hotel sets the tone for my stay in SF, right after check-in, and its not a good one. Maybe this hotel had let the city down. Poor management very likely, but i know i should have chosen either The Mark or Hyatt.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Tickerup, I am so sorry you experienced difficulties during your stay with us. I hope you can contact my office as I would like to arrange for a nights stay on the hotel on your next visit to San Francisco to make up for the challenges you related from this last visit. Thanks so much for providing the details as that will assist us in ensuring these errors are not repeated in the future. Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with you soon. Take care and warm regards,

Been to Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel? Share your experiences!