“Nice Best Western!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel California - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

You added The Hotel California - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality to your Saves list
The Hotel California - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   580 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$20 Off per Night!
Ranked #74 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Cottonwood, California
“Nice Best Western!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had to find a place to stay, for a birthday dinner we were going to, wanted a reasonable price for a room, since it is mainly just for sleeping. I was pleasantly surprised how nice this hotel is, it was still pricey, beings San Francisco, and I did not know it was Fleet Week. This hotel is older style, which I thought was kind of cool, had a nice restaurant and bar. Convenient location for anything. I enjoyed this hotel, wish I was staying in city longer, would have enjoyed it a lot more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Carmel, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Comfortable enough hotel adjacent to a good restaurant. Employees wear tacky Best Western polo shirts, whereas their competitors usually dress more professionally. Rooms are small (which is typical of these era hotels), but comfortable enough. Television has only 15 channels of so. Housekeeping does a good job keeping them clean. In-room safe was inoperable, but there are safety boxes at the front desk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brierley Hill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in September of this year. The staff are second to none, two male members of staff were on duty when I checked in & they were both first class, I was made to feel so welcome by both of them.

The rooms were a little on the small side, but they were very clean & had everything in them that I needed during my stay. The bed was very comfortable & the sheets were always fresh & clean.

If I were to go back to San Francisco, I would defiantly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

It's a really old chunk of a hotel, and some rooms are rather small and/or face a loud street (there must be a fire brigade station further up on Jones Street), and there's also an outdoor bar next door in the downtown direction which is sometimes crowded by hundreds of people who can be incredibly loud. And the elevator has a rather rickety feeling----but it never let us down.

Those are the downsides, few and far in between. The hotel itself is a wonderful place: nice rooms in general (I looked into a few ones), great breakfast buffet, nice idea to offer wine and snacks in the early evening, helpful staff on the whole (we also had a major billing problem to sort out after returning to Europe, and the management did stay on to clear things up, refunding us several hundred dollars in the end).

I'd go back to this Hotel California because I just love the many small references to music and poetry. (We were there in August 2011 but the software doesn't let me enter travel dates as remote as that.)

Room Tip: Try and keep away from both Jones Street. In fact, Geary Street is the (relatively) quietest side, t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
coral springs florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great location, you can walk to shopping, restaurants, easy access to public transportation, the staff was fantastic! Lobby area was good, restaurant is inventive, small bar area, convenient continental breakfast. As far as the rooms go, this place is old, and you can feel it in the rooms.
Small area, very small bath, enough room but not an updated feel. Kinda like staying at your grandmothers. Can not beat the price and location. Everywhere we went there were homeless people and beggars, kind of sad but I guess you get that with big city.

Room Tip: You do get more street noise if you are on a lower floor and facing Geary.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the Captain,
"Please bring me my wine"
He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine"
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave! "

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Paxton, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Convenient location in walking distance to downtown. Great eateries close by, with early/late hours. Car rentals close by for trips outside of the city. Quiet locale, intriguing locals but not overrun with the street people of SF. Not the hotel that the Eagles sang about, but you will be humming the song anyway (hard to resist).

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the street for the best experience.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Hotel California - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!