“Cute little place in North Beach!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of San Remo Hotel

You added San Remo Hotel to your Saves list
San Remo Hotel
1.5 of 5 Lodge   |   2237 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach / Telegraph Hill)   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Las Vegas
“Cute little place in North Beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

This is basically a room rental, a very small room rental. We were worried about sharing the bathrooms and showers with the rest of the hotel, but it really wasn’t an issue. The bad part was waking up at 3 a.m. having to go to the restroom (too much wine downstairs at Fior d’Italia!) and it was a pain trying to stay quiet while making my way off the noisy bed, unlocking the door and closing it behind me. I kept thinking I was waking up the entire hotel.

The room was tiny and the bed was very uncomfortable. I had to keep rolling over to get comfortable, but after an hour or so, I had to move again. Also, the bed was loud and squeaky and made a lot of noise every time my husband or I moved. I didn’t hear any noise in the halls, but my husband and son in another room did, so maybe it was all the wine that knocked me out???

Also, I had read other reviews that mentioned they heard the clanging of pots and pans downstairs in the restaurant, but we didn’t hear that from our room. Around 10 p.m. when we returned from dinner downstairs we walked down the hall to the toilets at the far end of the 2nd floor, and the noise was atrocious. As we used the restrooms, we heard very loud clanging going on downstairs and commented that we were glad we weren‘t in a room at that end of the hall. As we walked back down to our rooms, it was very quiet. We were near the check in desk in rooms 20 & 23, and we couldn’t hear anything downstairs.

I never had to wait once to use a toilet or wash my hands, wash my face or brush my teeth. My husband and I encountered no wait at 7:30 a.m. to use the showers, but there were was one man waiting when I emerged from the shower. It was very weird seeing people just wrapped in towels in the hallways. I had a conversation with a naked man wearing nothing but a small towel while waiting for my husband to finish showering. Definitely a different experience!

We stayed here because we could not get a room anywhere in the city this particular weekend. We were desperate and I was dreading it, but it really wasn’t that bad. The staff was exceptional, the location was fantastic, and the shared facilities were spic and span! We had a car and parked it nearby on the top level of the Safeway/ 24 hr. Fitness parking garage for $18/day.

For those of you nervous about staying here due to the shared facilities, no need to be!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

This is a no frills hotel where you share use of the bathrooms and showers with other guests. We were a little bit worried about that part of it, but for the price, thought it would be worth a try. We did opt for a sink in our room, which was convenient for brushing our teeth, putting in contacts, and shaving. We were pleasantly surprised to find the bathrooms and showers incredibly clean, with rarely a wait. All the guests and staff we met were friendly and accommodating. The hotel is very convenient (walking distance) to the Wharf, the bus line, grocery shopping, restaurants, cable cars, etc. You can even walk to the Golden Gate Bridge from there (which we did) but it took 2 hours to get there. It is possible to do without renting a car by taking the BART and bus system to and from the airport. We only rented a car for 3 of the 7 days we were there so that we could go to Napa Valley - otherwise we walked and took public transportation everywhere. The hotel felt like a bed and breakfast atmosphere, except that they did not offer meals. The guest rooms were small but each had a desk and an armoire for storing clothes. There was no air conditioning, but there was a ceiling fan and a standing floor heater in each room and the windows could be opened. We were quite comfortable in September with just the fan and open window. There were vending machines for snacks, drinks and coffee/not chocolate, as well as a coin washer and dryer. We got room service (made up beds and changed towels) every day - something I did not expect for the price. When we visit a city, we basically just need a hotel to sleep in as we are out exploring every day. This hotel was perfect for that.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Tarpon Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

Pros: Very clean, helpful staff, hotel has a lot of character. Excellent location and great price. Beds are very comfortable and the shared bathrooms are more private than I originally imagined. I would stay again or recommend to friends & family.
Cons: No A/C. Which was not needed for temperature but for a little back ground noise. Rooms are over a restaurant and you can hear the kitchen staff below you doing dishes and talking back and forth. Nothing that a couple of Tylenol PM did not take care of (slept like a baby). I was traveling solo so the bed was ok. It would have been a little tight if my wife had been with me (double bed…no queen size available).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
brisbane, australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

The San Remo is cute and quirky. It is in an excellent location. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The beds are so-so comfortable and the rooms quite small. The rooms are quite clean and the shared bathrooms are very clean, getting cleaned all the time. On our first night (after a long-haul trip from Australia) we had very noisy people outside of our room having some party, we were so exhausted we didn't have energy to get really upset about it, but kept waking up throughout the night. Otherwise, we had great sleep, we slept here 4 nights all up. Would stay here again, because the price is so favourable and usually you get much noisier and less cleaner places for lower prices.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for four days in September and it felt like I was leaving home at the end of my trip! I often stay in hostels when I'm trying to save money on holidays but this room worked out the same price as their single rooms - but at the San Remo you get yourself a nice double room with gorgeous Victorian-style furniture, your room cleaned daily, fresh towels, and a bathroom that is cleaned so regularly you forget you're even sharing with other guests.

Staff were extra helpful when it came to advice on attractions and transport. They will assist you in any way they can which is a change to other 3-star hotels.

My only criticism is the cleaning staff. I was staying in a room close to the bathroom on the second floor and I was woken at 7am every morning (except Sat which was 8am!) to 6 or so women speaking ridiculously loud outside of my bedroom. If you're looking to sleep in a little later than that I would ask for a room further away from the bathroom. It is great that they are cleaning the toilets and showers regularly but the noise level of their constant talking/shouting was really unnecessary.

If you're a solo traveller this is great if you're wanting more privacy than a hostel. If you're travelling with a friend or partner you might find the rooms a fraction small if you both have a lot of luggage.

I have already starting recommending this hotel to friends and will stay here again next time I'm in San Francisco.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

We had a good stay at the San Remo but it is not a hotel for everyone.

Pro's
1.Excellent location 5 minutes walk from Fisherman's wharf and 15minutes walk from downtown.
2. Great front of house staff and after an unpleasant 1st night we were quickly moved to another room. Helpful on advise on sights to visit.
3. Excellent price compared with other hotels in San Fran.
4. Cool cafe opposite the hotel which was perfect for breakfast and free wifi

Con's
1. 1st night was sleepless as we were directly above the kitchen of an Italian restaurant where the music finished at midnight and work in the kitchen started again at 0430. We were moved to the 2nd floor of the hotel which was much better. be sure to ask for a room away from the restaurant. We were lucky that other rooms were available. The manager was very polite and though our room was an upgrade there was no extra charge.
2. The shared bathrooms are not a problem but not for everyone. They are clean but could be more powerful.
3. The rooms are very small. The 1st room was so small that we could not even open 2 suitcases. The 2nd room was better but they are still small.
4. Internet is charged at 39c/min. Should really be free nowadays.

Overall despite the cons, the hotel had a really good feel about it and we would stay again.

Tamim

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Was very surprised at the quality and atmosphere in this charming hotel at the price. The bathrooms and showers may be down the hall but you should see them! Close to the wharf area, bus, cable car and trolley transportation with a Trader Joe's on the next corner. Ony warning is that the twin bedded room left little room to move and the open window at night subjects one to noise....tho' we were on the main street and there was very little noise at all between 11 and 6 or so. The wonderful staff would make up for any shortfall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends