“Very basic, but great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of San Remo Hotel

You added San Remo Hotel to your Saves list
San Remo Hotel
1.5 of 5 Lodge   |   2237 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach / Telegraph Hill)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Farmington, New Mexico
“Very basic, but great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Arrived before check-in. They stored our bags but in an extremely small room, bag upon bag, no tags or security except alot of video survellance cameras that made me wonder? Very, Very basic. Felt as if I was at a youth hostel in Europe except breakfast not included. We survived but would look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere unless you get a GREAT deal
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Really great hotel. Warm, cosy, like the house of your grandmother. The rooms are very small, but in San Fransisco that is no problem. The rooms were very clean and the shared bathroom were very beautifull and very clean.

The staff was friendly and helped us with every question we had.

We loved the hotel, and we think it is a very good option - price/quality - for San Fransisco.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed at the San Remo more than 10 years ago and remembered it with trepidation...thin walls and noisy guests made sleeping difficult. But we decided to give it another try this year and it was fabulous! They now provide ear plugs and I found that I didn't even need them. Better clientele? Perhaps. Or perhaps the lovely people at the front desk are keeping a tighter grip on things. Either way, I got 2 wonderful night's sleep on Fri and Sat nights! Love the free computer/printer for printing my boarding passes! And the all-day tea/coffee...wish it had continued later into the evening, though. No trouble getting into the shared showers or toilets.

Room Tip: I didn't mind room 5 but my partner would say to avoid it because there's no outside window.
Citlali C, Marketing at San Remo Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
We are very happy you came back to our hotel and found it has improved and found our staff to be so helpful and attentive. We pride ourselves on giving personal attention to each of our guests.

We greatly appreciate your comments and hope to see you back once more.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here on the 15th and 16th of June(2014). We loved it! The people at the desk were very helpful and and happy to help. The hotel itself was beautiful and really kept the Victorian era essentials. In our room we had a sink and mirror with a double bed. It had antique style furniture and felt very cozy. The showers were down the hall but that is part of it's charm! We had fresh coffee every morning and cold water all day long. I found it interesting to see that some lager rooms had windows looking out to the hall. Also, the San Remo has alot of very nice paintings from the 1800's and some newspaper clippings from the 1950's(not quite sure of the exact years)on the walls. It is a mere 5 min walk to fisherman's wharf which is must when coming down to San Fran! Also everything is of walking distance and to really experience the area leave your car parked and walk!!!:) Oh yeah and prices were great! bring a sweater tho because at night it gets cold. In short, we had an amazing time!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was a little nervous about this place - I wasn't even sure if I would have a window but I arrived rather early, my room was ready and I even had two windows and a ceiling fan. Very European - the bed was old but the room was quaint - ear plugs definitely required as the walls were rather thin but I grew accustomed to the rattles of the restaurant below and sounds of the cleaning staff in the morning and the showers etc...(of which were quite clean). It was a 10 min walk to Fisherman's Wharf and 5 min to the Powell-Mason Cable Car starting point which ran to downtown. There is a Trader Joe's 2 min as well as a Wallgreens 5 min away. The restaurant below was good - a discount on food if you tell them that you are staying at San Remo - they also have a good Happy Hour. The North Beach/Little Italy area is lovely - tons of restaurants to choose from. The staff were super helpful and arranged Lorrie's shuttle service to pick me up and take me to the airport.

All in all, I didn't want to leave San Francisco and in part due to this charming little hotel that was decently priced given the prices of most hotels. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: I think that rooms on the 2nd floor might be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Mount Olive, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The San Remo is a historic hotel, constructed right after the great San Francisco earthquake and fire.

The positives include a great atmosphere, convenient location and attentive staff. Free WiFi, beverages and light snacks were provided. A deal with a local parking garage helps you get parking for $16 daily, which is not top bad in downtown San Francisco.

The negatives include a lack of accessibility for some patrons, a lack of privacy in the rooms and having to share a bathroom with other people.

The positives far outweigh the negatives and overall, the hotel is a cozy and affordable find in heart of the city.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed at this hotel with a friend near the end of our month travelling America. We was hesitant when we booked but when we got there it was fantastic! Great staff who were very helpful, great location, and a brilliant price, would book again!!

Stayed October 2013

Been to San Remo Hotel? Share your experiences!