“Cute & quirky hotel but very soft bed.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of San Remo Hotel

You added San Remo Hotel to your Saves list
San Remo Hotel
1.5 of 5 Lodge   |   2237 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach / Telegraph Hill)   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Scotland
“Cute & quirky hotel but very soft bed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We booked the San remo after seeing the great reviews on tripadvisor & struggling to find accommodation at a reasonable price in San Francisco.

On the positive side, it's in a great location, near fishermans wharf. The staff were really friendly & helpful. There were unexpected touches like fresh iced water with lemon available through the day. There are coffee & breakfast places (inc good old starbucks) within minutes. The hotel is lovely, I loved the old fashioned decor & furniture- it really feels like a quirky old fashioned guest house! Everywhere was clean. Showers & toilets clean & working well, fresh towels always available.

On the negative side, the rooms are small - we knew this on booking but with 2 suitcases there was little room for movement! The one real issue I had is that the bed was soft, extremely soft. With 2 people sitting on it, the middle almost touched the floor. I love the quirk of the hotel & the decor is in keeping with its age, but I have no idea how old that mattress was & I think it's reasonable to expect a comfy bed with no backache.

Given the price & location, I think I'd stay at the San remo again. If budget was not an issue, I may stay elsewhere for more space & a comfy bed!

Room Tip: As for a room with a sink & a window to outside ( some rooms only have windows to the hallway).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Folsom, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We loved our experience at the San Remo! What a hidden gem. The staff was hospitable, the room was comfortable, and the place is literally blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. We were a little concerned about the shared bathroom idea, but we found that we weren't inconvenienced at all. In fact, the towels were heated which was a lovely surprise. The only thing I might recommend is bringing a bathrobe for after your shower.

If you're looking to spend your vacation in a hotel room, watching television and ordering room service, you should look elsewhere. But if you're looking for a cool, low-key place to sleep this place is awesome. Thanks again to the San Remo for a great stay! We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sink, if available. And bring a bathrobe!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights. Passing through to see the main attractions of San Francisco. I was only in the hotel to sleep. It was extremely friendly. Rooms were small but did the job. Very basic with sink. Shared toilets and showers were immaculate with plenty fresh towels. Only criticism was mattress was very hard and lumpy. Wouldnt stay here if height of summer or staying longer than a few days but that's a personal choice of my preference for air con. All in all a fantastic stay here. I'd definately recommend.

• Stayed October 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have stayed here 3 times, each one a terrific stay. When I go to San Francisco, I want to stay here for the location and price, but as importantly because of the international ambiance and general charm of the hotel. You immediately notice the international clientele. Here you get a room for what are likely budget motel rates, but the rooms are European pension decor rather than what's usual for a budget motel, a big attraction for me. Once I stayed here, I didn't bother with budget motels - why would I? I checked a couple of budget motels for price on my last visit, mid- October, but quickly realized I was wasting my time. So I can't make a definitive comparison. Sure, the toilets and showers are down the hall, but that has never been a problem on any of my visits. You can also get a room with a sink. Muni bus and (historic) streetcar transit are a couple of blocks away. When I'm away from home, this is one of my favourite places to stay. The others are in different cities.

Room Tip: Rooms with sinks are bigger; I travel alone and the smaller rooms are fine with me. I've not had...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The first night we were in room 8 which is giving onto the street and it was very hard to get any sleep as the windows are very old and the street is noisy all the way through the night. Also the neighbors marching on the wooden floor above is wasn't helping. Then we moved to room 60 on the floor above and that was a lot better. The rooms are very small but the place has a lot of character and it has a very nice feel to it.

• Stayed October 2012
Mechelen, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at the San Remo hotel for 4 nights. Our daughter (1 year) stayed with us. The room was rather small, there is no place for an extra bed for the baby, she slept in the same bed as we did. There was no private bathroom or toilet, but it was very clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My daughter recommended this hotel, having stayed here herself.
On arrival, we struggled up the stairs with our heavy cases to the reception. (no lift)
The staff were friendly and showed us to the room- very quaint and oldy-worldy with no room to swing a cat! But hey it was a stones throw from fishermans wharf and for the price, we felt it a bargain! The toilets and showers were shared and along the corridor, but that was not an issue.
We were there 3 nights and enjoyed our time there. It was close to the cable car for down town etc.
Parking could be an issue as they do not have a car park, but for the one night we had the car, we parked in the local supermarket for $16.
I would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have windows to outside. So if that might be a problem, ask for a room with an outside...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to San Remo Hotel? Share your experiences!