“First time in USA!” 3 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Lodge   |   2237 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133   |
Bath, United Kingdom
“First time in USA!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

my son and i arrived for a 5 night stay at this hotel... check in staff were really helpful, upon entering the room we were shocked by how small it was (a twin) and it was quite scruffy and tired, the sink was a bit rusty, decor quite old fashioned etc... However, we grew to love the quirkiness of the hotel, the endless supply of clean towels for the shared bathrooms (which were always clean) the massage chair on our floor, free wireless, the fantastic Pats Cafe just around the corner, the cable car turnaround nearby, Fishermans Wharf 5 mins away and the location which was fabulous! We would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I hate to call this "average" since it certainly was not average. It had charm WAY above most budget hotels -- or even ritzy ones. Certain inconveniences cause me to dock it a few points.

We stayed in this charming little spot over the weekend for the Outside Lands festival--it was the only place with rooms within our budget when we booked. It is clean, quiet (for the most part) and quaint, in a wonderful location for North Beach, Chinatown and the Wharf. (Not terribly convenient to get to the Outside Lands at Golden Gate Park, though.) The staff were friendly and helpful, and it really does look like a turn-of-the-last-century guest house. I'm into Victoriana, so this place was a dream for my love of all things Victoriana --but. I am also a 21st Century gal with modesty issues, George Costanza-esqe issues (see the Chinese restaurant episode), a real need for coffee the moment I arise, and fresh cool air to sleep in. I knew the gig about the restrooms and showers going into the place--I've coped at the Hotel 17 in NYC--and thought I could cope here too--but I traveled alone to NYC, and with my boyfriend on this trip to SF. What could have cozily housed the solo traveler was a little TOO small for the both of us. The only window our room had was out into the hall, and since we didn't want everyone to hear our business, we kept that closed. As a consequence, the air in the room was quite stuffy and hot all the time. The hotel had a romantic setting but a lack of privacy kept us from being romantic, if you catch my drift.

There was a nice little coffee house just steps from the hotel so the coffee issue was easily enough solved, if not ideal. My Costanza-like neuroses didn't make the situation with the restrooms very easy, either. You may not have this...issue, and that may not be a problem for you.

I'd go again, but I'd ask for a room with a sink (I hear some rooms had them) and a window opening into the street rather than a common hallway. I'd recommend this to the single traveler in a heartbeat. However, if having your own bathroom and some room to move is important to you, you'd be better off staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a sink and a window opening onto the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at the San Remo. The location is excellent, we bought a transit pass and walked a couple blocks over to catch the bus or train downtown or anywhere in the city or simply wondered around the wharf area.

The hotel is very clean. The staff there are super friendly, knowledgable and helpful.

The only slight minus I can name is that the beds were quite hard. This was fine at first but by day 5 we were starting to feel fairly stiff. It's a minor complaint though, the place was still very cozy.

Concerning the hotel layout, the bathrooms are up the hall and not in the individual rooms. This seems like a very safe area of town to be in and the hotel itself is also secure, you must be buzzed in and walk by the reception desk or have a key to gain access then again walk by the reception desk upon entrance.

Room Tip: I highly recommend booking this hotel and when you get to San Fran, buy a bus pass because the city...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Over a span of ten years I've been to San Francisco twice (from Singapore) and each time, I stayed at the San Remo. However, for my first trip, I did not book early enough in advance and part of the trip was spent staying at a dump on the dangerous Market Street for about the same price as San Remo.

I love San Francisco and for me, and I will visit again, and again, and I will again stay at the San Remo.

Room Tip: BOOK EARLY. Corner rooms with windows are the best.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Boise, ID
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I combined a weekend getaway in San Francisco with a business trip over Memorial Day weekend this year. Since I had to get my own hotel, I was looking for something affordable which is hard to come by in a city like San Francisco. I read a whole host of positive reviews on Tripadvsor before booking a room here. I was still a bit skeptical though, since I had never really stayed at a place with common bathrooms and showers.

I was pleasantly surprised. The location is excellent, minutes from Fisherman's Wharf by walk. If you have a car, the hotel does not have parking but they have an arrangement with 2 parking garages nearby which saves you some money over regular rates. My room was tiny and did not have a sink however a bathroom and sink were just outside my room and I never had to wait to use them. The layout of the rooms are surprisingly private that you don't keep running into other guests. One thing I regretted, I did not bring my flip flops for the showers, they did have heavy duty paper bath mats though. I purchased some immediately for the rest of my stay.

The front desk has all kinds of useful information about the city. You can also buy coupons for breakfast to nearby cafes.

All in all, you cannot beat this price for the fabulous location and fairly decent rooms.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I've now stayed at the San Remo several times and am consistently impressed by the value, the cleanliness, and the professionalism of the manager Kenley and his team. If you're seeking luxury or modern convenience, this may not be the hotel for you. But if you're the kind of traveler who is undeterred by shared showers/bathrooms and the absence of elevators, then your sense of frugality and adventure will be well-rewarded by choosing the character-laden San Remo. I wish there was a hotel like this everyplace I traveled...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My friend and I stayed in the San Remo hotel for 3 nights in early July. We absolutely loved our stay. Firstly, the location was excellent. Such a nice area and they give really good recommendations on where to go for breakfast and what's nearby.

You're so close to the water and plenty of safe, lovely walking spots.

Having stayed in a scary area last time we were in San Francisco, this was a welcome change!

The hotel has gorgeous old decor, our twin room was made up perfectly and soap provided. I recommend getting a room with a sink. This is because bathrooms are shared (which we were prepared for) but having a sink means you can do toothbrushing, face cleaning and makeup in the room and then just go out to the communal areas for showers/toilets.

There are plenty of toilets and there was never really a wait for the showers.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Staff were also friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room with a sink!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to San Remo Hotel? Share your experiences!