“Very nice rooms with great beds” 4 of 5 stars
Review of San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Save Saved
You added San Francisco Marriott Marquis to your Saves list
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   780 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast
Ranked #48 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Los Angeles
“Very nice rooms with great beds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

The Marriott was a clean, efficient hotel that falls in the 4 star catagory.

The beds were ultra comfortable and the views were great. The valet parking and front desk check in is very efficient.

The room and bathroom was larger than the normal hotel. The large screen TV and desk area were great for relaxing and working.

Their free Wi-Fi area off the lobby is a large area with plenty of desk space for spreading out. This is nice since most hotels in America are bound and determined to try and pry extra money from us to use the internet access in the room.

Parking in the area is very expensive and didn’t look very safe, so we paid the $55 a day for valet. The Marriot didn’t offer any self parking.

We were given a very cheap rate of $95 through Priceline with a blind bid for a 4 star hotel. This made the stay even more sweeter than having to pay the normal $185.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

2,051 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Perhaps I was just in an older room, but for a hotel with a good location and high rates, the rooms had a lot lacking. Older, no free WiFi, expensive parking, etc.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

My hubby was at Oracle World and probably for a business traveller this hotel might have been ok (although no free wifi) - but for leisure not so much. Rooms were small - I like to do pilates in my room, but it wasn't big enough. No free breaky, no free wifi. Windows on our room were so dirty we couldn't tell what the weather was like. Good location - close to Union Square and Westfields (great food court). We used the spa facilities - which were fine (but small). Staff at bell desk and front desk were overworked and short. The room had dirty on the floor which was no vacuumed up the 3 nights we were there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Alexandria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I attended a five-day Conference in June. Unfortunately, this was the Conference hotel. Had I known what was in store for me, I would have gladly paid the cab fare to commute here from a nicer hotel. My first experience - the outrageous valet parking; they charge you $10 to pickup a car from Hertz (in the lobby). Then, after checking in, and after discovering that several of my TV channels didn't work, I decided to take a shower. BAD IDEA! The shower curtain stank so badly I had to call housekeeping to have them change it. During the Conference, I kept returning t my room (I had left the AC on) to discover the maids kept turning it off (I guess they were trying to save money). The rooms are quite small for the price, and the furnishings dated and drab. The bed was not comfortable and several times we had to call to ask for extra towels. I sent a letter to the manager following my stay, and al I got was a boilerplate email back saying thanks for sharing your concerns. Oh, and I forgot...they tried to overcharge us for Internet service. We logged in at 11:30, stayed online for an hour, and they charged for two days...like $25 (because we went past noon; nowhere did it say 24-hours was noon to noon). Bad hotel. Bad stay. Good idea to stay elsewhere. Not what I had hoped for my first stay in the Bay Area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
So.Cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

We spent 3 nights in this hotel and it worked out to be a perfect long weekend with the kids. It was in the heart of Union Square, so we could walk to the shops, restaurants, and most importantly for the kids- it was a stone's throw to the Kids Museum, bowling alley and ice rink. For us, the location was perfect and we didn't use our car all weekend. We were able to make use of the hotel's free shuttle to the piers and we also used the cable cars.

The hotel itself was a very busy, modern high rise with full amenities. The concierge was accomodating and arranged a few events for us and gave good recommendations. Our connecting rooms were of decent size and clean. A few cons: the pool was very crowded and there weren't nearly enough seats for people not swimming and the parking was really expensive (but probably in line with what other hotels charge). Otherwise, we found the hotel to be good for us and we'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I live & work with groups in hotels around the world. I am compelled to write this revue due to the BAD stay with this hotel. Here's my experiences and disappointments:
- waiting 20-35 minutes EVERY time I needed to check-in or talk with a front desk agent. lines 30 to 40 person deep. Crowded, busy lobby. Great if you like to stand in lines.
- Staff has a "not my job" mentality. Service does not cross union lines......
- Spa/ changing rooms charge $5.00 to change to change clothes in a changing room. Steam room full of old, wet towels and even had a bottle of cleaning spray left inside.
- Empty beer bottles in the elevators on Sunday morning at 10 a.m.... hard to believe that they hadn't been there for much longer, but no staff member seemed to care, maybe not their job.....
- Many rooms, face interior courtyard rooms... average rooms... room was like an inside cabin of cruise ship.

Wish I could say something good, but unless you are part of huge group who need the city's largest hotel,, Stay elsewhere...... and save yourself the frustration... a black-eye that probably makes lots of money for Marriott.....

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Stayed here in Aug with sister and nephew. Good location for sightseeing. Nice size room. Pool a great way for nephew to unwind after being forced to sightsee all day. Air conditioning was slow to kick in. Would recommend if you can get a good rate.

• Stayed August 2009

Been to San Francisco Marriott Marquis? Share your experiences!