“Old and big but great hospitality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of San Francisco Marriott Marquis

You added San Francisco Marriott Marquis to your Saves list
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   780 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #52 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Ghent, Belgium
“Old and big but great hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

I am always impressed when those very big hotels still manage to make a guest feel at home and offer great service. This hotel is a good example. We arrived at the hotel after a 14 hour journey from Europe, completely jet lagged and with 2 young children, but the arrival experience was fantastic. Bill at the front desk, Will at the luggage department, all the others made us feel welcome and my kids loved it.

The rooms are old and the deco is a bit tired but it is clean and well maintained.

Location is great. This was our first trip to San Francisco and we hesitated between the Union Square region and the Fisherman's Wharf but I am glad we choose for the first one.

Thank you for your great hospitality.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Jack T.,
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are so excited you chose us as your hotel for your first family trip to San Francisco! It was a pleasure to read your family enjoyed their experience with us and that Bill and Will could assist in making it a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our amazing city!
Kind regards from the San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is a fine business hotel, located in a central area of downtown SF with good access to restaurants and downtown offerings.

The rooms are dated (popcorn ceilings) and in need of a refresh. But the bed is comfortable and the hotel has nice amenities (view lounge, lobby lounge, sports bar, fitness center, etc.).

On this particular stay, I found a couple of items less than ideal:
- Hidden coffee maker. In post-stay correspondence the hotel assured me the room had one; I couldn't find it and went to Starbucks downstairs--but the line was too long, so I went without coffee. Bummer.
- Glass desktop - prevented my optical mouse from working. Strange... Marriott usually gets that kind of stuff right.

Also, I had issues with my bill and follow through from the hotel staff. I.e.:
- The bill did not show a final balance. I called down to request one, it never arrived. No email copy either.
- The hotel emailed me to ask how my stay was on the morning of departure (1 night stay), I responded with a request for the bill. No answer until the next day.

I'm not sure what the point is to ask if you're not prepared to catch a response.

I've stayed at this hotel in the past, and I'll probably find myself there again in the future. This stay did not reflect Marriott on its best day, let alone what I typically expect from Marriott.

Overall, I generally prefer / would recommend other properties in the area... but if you're in a pinch, this hotel is huge and in a convenient location... you could do worse.

Room Tip: Higher floors avoid the city noise. Views towards the city tend to be better, IMO.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear wildbluewanderer,
Thank you for sharing your experience. While we are pleased to hear you enjoyed our convenient location, comfy bed, and our amenities, we are sorry to hear not all aspects of your stay lived up to the Marriott and the San Francisco Marriott Marquis standard. We appreciate your comments and feedback, both positive and constructive, as we will use these to further improve our services. We do hope you’ll stay with us again the next time your travels bring you back to San Francisco.
Warm regards,
The San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Rooms were a good size and well-equiped. Hotel itself was quiet inside, but we did hear protestors outside every morning at 7 am! Hopefully that does not happen all the time. Good location. Great views and comfortable beds, though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Robyn,

Thank your for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis as your host during your recent visit. I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and I can assure you that although San Francisco can seem quite political we rarely get protesters in our neighborhood.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!

Eric and the entire San Francisco Marriott Marquis Team
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis for five nights last week and was really pleased with everything. I was there on business and the hotel accommodated us wonderfully. I arrived at the hotel at 10am and check in is 4pm. My room was not ready yet but they got me checked in and called me shortly after that to let me know my room was ready. Big shout out to the front desk associate, Ave, for helping me out and getting me all set. I ate at each of the restaurants in the hotel and was pleased with the food as well. The beds were comfortable and the views from the "The View" lounge was great.

Room Tip: Be sure to sign up for the Marriott Rewards program. There's a separate check-in/out line in ca...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear MadTraveler85,

It is such a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to accommodate your early check in. Ave is simply great to work with and I will be sure to pass along your kudos.

See you again soon,

Eric & the entire San Francisco Marriott Marquis Team
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

If you're going to san francisco i'm sure you can find many other hotels that are nicer, in this pricerange. The Mariott Marquis feels outdated. The lobby area is big, crowded and worn down. The rooms are big, that's a good thing, but the colors and interior is really ugly - and again - worn down.
You can't touch anything in the minibar, it automatically charges you, uncharming detail when you're staying for a couple of nights and would like to have your own orange juice in the fridge. You have to pay extra for using the internet, the fitnessroom, etc etc. Defenitely not a find.
Staff is very friendly, and location is between market and mission.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear LinaCEB,
Thank you for sharing your impressions of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. We’re so glad you enjoyed your spacious guest room, the hotel’s location and friendly hosts. We appreciate your feedback and will review it with our management team. For the convenience of our guests we do offer complimentary Wi-Fi in our lobby areas. We do hope you give us another try the next time you visit San Francisco.
Warm regards from the San Francisco Marriott Marquis
County Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

For me what a hotel fundamentally sells is  good nights sleep so a quiet room is essential but not always available. This place is one of the quietest I have stayed in and not just our room. Quite a few of the people on our tour said the same thing about theirs. We were all on the 6th or 7th floor. Given that SF is such a busy and loud place I was impressed. Having said that, it is a huge hotel and easy to get lost until you get your bearings and realise the signage is good. One other thing to mention - our friends had a room over the atrium and noticed you had to be careful to close the main curtains as with the light on people from across the atrium can see into your room.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Loved the room, view and location. We usually stay at a Marriott whenever we travel for business and this was one of the nicest ones. Really appreciated Alfonso's help at the bell desk - he gave us great suggestions on what to do for our last day here when we had time to go explore! We followed it and had a great afternoon :)
Looking forward to next time!

Stayed July 2014

Been to San Francisco Marriott Marquis? Share your experiences!