“Great skyline views and Starbucks in lobby” 4 of 5 stars

Book early and save 20%!
Ranked #51 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Great skyline views and Starbucks in lobby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is the best hotel to stay in The City. It's right off the Muni so easy access to get back to the airport after your stay. Great location too as the Powell cable car is within walking distance to take you across town. My family and I always get rooms here when we go visit my brother. We love meeting in the wonderful rooftop lounge with beautiful city views for before dinner cocktails and appetizers before his jazz shows at Martunies bar (another great venue) down the street. Clean rooms, great lounges/restaurants and valet parking. Oh and for those who like Starbucks there is one in the lobby.
Expensive but worth every penny!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Curbsider

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I just got back from this hotel a couple days ago! I just went for the weekend and it was an amazing location! Right by all the high end shopping - taxi ride to the wharf around $10.

I could tell it is highly used for business travelers and you can see the wear. However, I still thought it was clean and I found the staff to be very helpful!

Didn't try any food but did have a drink at the bar on the top floor. Great place to have a drink to kick off your night! Although a Cosmo is $20. I haven't even seen a $20 Cosmo in New York City.

Decent breakfast in the lounge. Always restocked and service in the concierge lounge was the best!

Great location. Could use some updating. But overall I was extremely pleased with my stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michelle19855
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stay at the SF Marriott Marquis every year for the same meeting right before Christmas - I love the location, close to Moscone and to Union Square shopping, plus the beds are firm, the rooms are quiet and the internet is blazing fast. I took my family this year - they loved it! I feel like the Marriott staff actively helped me to treat my family to a wonderful San Francisco vacation while I was hard at work - PRICELESS!

The first room we were sent to was on a low floor overlooking the kitchen roof (with all the vents) when we asked for something higher up, we were sent to a 27th floor room with a fabulous view of the bridge and the harbor (the kids were over the moon). With kids, our rooms are never neat as a pin, but the housekeeping ladies were delightful - extra towels and shampoos, plus clean as a whistle, no matter what time hubby and babies made it out of the room. If you have a toddler, you know how important it is to be able to put them down for a nap when it's time (and not have to wait for housekeeping to finish up). We left a big tip every day - and they deserved it. Room service had a kids menu with all the favorites on it - and they were prompt and cheerful, even though the hotel was packed. The concierge was very helpful to my spouse in finding age-appropriate things for the kids to do while I was working. Thank you, SF Marriott!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank co2diva
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear co2diva,

It is such a pleasure to read that your and your family enjoyed your stay at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. Our location is near perfect for all types of guests from the business traveler to the vacationing family and we would be delighted to be your favorite hotel in San Francisco!

Kind Regards,

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed for three days for a convention. My room was large and nicely appointed. I had a great view of Union Square through the north east windows and a nice view to the south through another set of windows. I felt the hotel was nice, but have stayed at nicer. The convention hall is larger and a bit of a treck back up tot the room. I had to use the fed ex mail center to ship my items back home. It was right there easily accessible to the convention hall, making it very easy. The bell hop was very nice and helpful in finding good restaurants.

Room Tip: Go higher an request an external view room, not one that looks out onto the roof.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeanette M
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently visited San Franciso on business and stayed 5 nights at the Marriott. First impressions; everything you would expect from a Major US city Marriott. Great location, good lobby space, facilities and nice sized, clean rooms.

On the minus side I felt it was let down by an only average bar and dining facilities. Both very expensive. Lack of 24 hour room service really surprised me and staff who seemed stretched/harrassed. Sure, there was a conference on, it was busy, but I'm the customer and expect (at these prices at least) courteousy at all times. And expect to get hustled for money outside. There are many homeless people in the area. I dont blame them for asking but it gets a bit much right outside the hotel door.

I cant be to critical as it was comfortable but they need to look at some of the finer detail of their service if they want to justify the cost.

• 2 of 5 stars
Dear MickHampshire,

Thank you for staying at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis and for your TripAdvisor review. We work hard everyday to treat all of our guests with the utmost respect and courtesy and I sincerely apologize if at times you felt that our service was stretched thin. I will be sure to pass your comments along and hope that you will once again choose the Marriott Marquis for your travels to San Francisco.

Vigevano, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I've been there for a work session this January. The position is perfect (just behind Union Square and Market Street which are the perfect places for the shopping addicted) but it seemed to me that the price paid for a night in a standard room ($200 more or less, I had a look at the prices listed on the door being that my company paid for me) it's too high for the room itself. No breakfast included and the wifi is 14$ a day. The bar at the top of the building is the MUST of the hotel.

1 Thank Ernesta C
Dear Ernesta C,

Thank you so much for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis for your recent stay. We understand that travelers have many choices for hotel accommodations in San Francisco and we have an entire team working to ensure that we are competitively priced for our market.

We are currently in the midst of renovating and upgrading all of our guest rooms and we are certain that this will increase the value to our guests.

Thanks again for your TripAdvisor review and we hope you choose the Marriott Marquis the next time your travels bring you to San Francisco.

Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is fairly standard convention/meeting hotel, with prices to match. Much of the experience was as we might expect: decent room size, decent service.

Where the property falls down is the concierge desk. We asked for an Italian restaurant recommendation and were sent to a place where we had a terrible experience -- service so absent and so rude that we walked out. When we told the concierge of our experience they laughed.

• 2 of 5 stars
Dear ShorelineNutmegger,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience at the restaurant our concierge recommended. We certainly would not intentional send our valued guests to an establishment with poor service. Service is inherent in the Marriott name and we expect the same from the businesses we promote.

I would also like to apologize for the response you received when you reported back. This is not they type of response one would expect nor is it representative of our high level of service.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter further and invite you to send us a direct message.

Kind Regards,