“Very nice experience for our family...” 5 of 5 stars

Summer from $169
Ranked #102 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
vancouver, wa
“Very nice experience for our family...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

My husband and I took our kids (11 and 13) for their first trip to San Fransico. We had a great experience with the Hilton. FIrst of all the location was very convenient - just a couple of blocks to Union Square - which also meant easy to find restaurants, easy to catch the cable cars along Powell. Pre-arrival we had requested a room on a higher floor so we could have a view. At first they were going to put us on the 14th floor - well, that was "ok", but not really what we would call "high". Then the desk clerk said she wanted to check on something - and offered us an upgrade to the 44th floor - the highest we could go! It was only $50 a nigt extra - AND they gave us 6 vouchers for breakfast at Starbucks (inthe lobby). These breakfasts were huge - any coffee drink, a pastry, a fruit cup, a cold beverage...we figured worth $80+. The room had a huge balcony - and the VIEW! Wonderful! So if you are offered an upgrade - TAKE IT! Well worth a few extra dollars. Beds were comfy - the rooms were quiet - everything was nice and clean. Oh - one more thing - there is a pool, which can be hard to find in a hotel in downtown San Fransisco, so that was a plus for the kids.

Want a truly memorable SF experience? We rented bikes from Blazing Saddles on the Wharf and rode from there over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito - then took the ferry back. It's something our family will not forget - it was incredible biking ove the bridge! (We left the Wharf around 11:00 and returned around 6 pm, so plan for a good portion of your day.)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

4,017 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Indonesian first
New Westminster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

This is our second trip here at the hotel and they stayed true to their fine service. The hotel is so close to Union Square shopping and Macy's. The front desk staff whisked us through the HH members area efficiently and with a great upgrade. The balcony has a great view and its' nice for morning coffee. The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff were very friendly and helpful. The security staff were present and visible but not annoying, we felt very safe. I love the sense of pampering you get when you get to your room, I want that comforter!!
The only thing we missed was the executive lounge on the top floor...please bring it back! Thanks for a great time, we'll be back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Hilton3, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, July 20, 2009
Dear lawfamily,
Thank you for selecting us as your destination while visiting San Francisco. I am pleased you enjoyed our service accommodations and the attentiveness of our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco.

Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

The lobby and amount of people going in and out of the lobby were impressive, however the rooms were just ordinary and not anything "special" and the bedding had a musty, oily odor. There were only 2 food establishments in that huge hotel and one was a Starbucks. The walk from the elevator to my room was soooo long it was quite inconvenient and ridiculous. And on the day of our departure, the checkout time is 12 o'clock. However, the roommaid started knocking on our door at 11:00 and said that the next guest was checking in at 11:30 and she needed to clean the room, so she started cleaning while we were still in the room. She literally chased us out before checkout. What happened to the 3:00 check-in time? Don't they honor that?

• Stayed July 2009
Hilton3, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, July 22, 2009
Dear jabe96825,
I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us. I do apologize for what you experience with our Housekeeping department. I have shared your review with our housekeeping team to avoid the situation from happening in the future. Thanks again for your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve our service.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I spent 3 Nights & 3 Days in the huge Hilton San Francisco hotel during the second week on July. This is a personal family vacation and we are there for general sightseeing. I like the location of the hotel & the rooms. But I extremely dislike the service at the hotel. I am a Gold Member at Hilton but I got a very shallow treatment because I booked through Orbitz even though it is the same advanced booking rate at Hilton website. This is my 3rd Hilton in 4months and here is my impression of Hilton San Francisco on O’Farrell St.

Location
========
Hilton San Francisco is in O’Farrell St and it is 3 Blocks from Union Square. It’s a 5-10mt walk to Union Square. This place is surrounded by restaurants and so no problem with food. Double Decker Tour buses (Open top Sightseeing) makes a stop at this hotel so no problem if you are in vacation. Also they have a Tower Tours Counter on site, so if you need to book any day trips you are all set there too. The Tower Tours will pick you up at the hotel. Parking is expensive in downtown and its $55/Night in the hotel. There is a huge parking garage right opposite the hotel and I remember the rate as $29/Night. Also, the parking garage had signs for Hertz & Avis rentals; maybe there is a rental office in there too. You can walk 2 blocks to Powell to catch the cable car or 2 blocks to Market St. for Tram or Subway. No worries about public transportation. Of course there are taxi’s available outside the hotel and this hotel is a $40 Taxi ride from SFO airport. Also, Hotel has arrangement with Super Shuttle for airport transfers and I saw a board saying $15.

Room
====
Now I got to talk to you about the Hotel. It is a huge hotel complex and it is built for Conferences. There are 3 Towers in the Hotel. Tower 1 is the 46 Story Tower which has some great views of the City towards Oakland Bay Bridge area. Going up from Floor 22 you get some views of the City and these rooms have nice LCD TV’s etc. Tower 2 is kind of the Connector between the Tower1 & Tower 3 and it has some views of the City towards South San Francisco (distant almost non-existent water views). Tower 3 is the worst of the 3 Towers and is surrounded by buildings and your view either a parking lot or some junk building. Also, Tower 2 & 3 has older model TV’s (Not LCD's) with 35 channels. I think you don't get full cable because I didn't see some channels like Discovery, Animal Planet, HGTV etc. I did get a peek at Tower 1 room and I did use Tower 2 & 3 Rooms. Of all the 3 rooms my tower 2 room seems to be slightly bigger. Of course they have many different varieties of rooms, I don’t know which one I stayed in but all I looked at had 2 double beds.

Rooms were standard, nice & clean and had the usual amenities, but no Microwave or Fridge. Bathrooms were slightly bigger and clean.

====
There is a restaurant onsite called Urban Tavern, but I did not check it out. So I don't know much about it. They do have 24hr room service and I do remember seeing the menu card with sandwiches for $25 or $35. There is a Starbucks on site and if you get a continental breakfast coupon (either as a Hilton Honor benefit or you paid a Breakfast rate), the breakfast is at the Star Bucks!! Yes you read it right! The breakfast consist of 1 Grande Coffee, 1 Pastry (You can choose anything on the display), 1 Fruit Cup and 1 Juice or Water from the Starbucks.

=======
This hotel is Hilton Money Making Machine. This is built for conferences and so they do not care about others. I have stayed in many Hiltons in fact this is my 3rd Hilton in 4months (all personal trips).Also, I am a gold member and the service was appalling to me. Everybody seems to have a ‘don't care’ attitude there. I called them a week earlier and requested a high floor room and a microwave in the room. At the time of check-in it was not available. In-fact they gave me a 9th floor room in Tower 3. After reminding them of my request, they gave me a temporary 9th floor room and a promise to upgrade to 19th floor after 8PM. I took that option and when I returned back at 8.30PM to check into my 19th floor room, I was told that room is still not available and they cannot do anything other than my present temporary room. After I politely reminded them that I requested it a week ago, they offered me a 22nd floor city view room. I happily accepted it, took a long walk to my temporary room to collect my stuff and walk to the other end of building for the new room, only to find that the room is already occupied with stuff all over the room. I again took a long walk back to lobby only to be told they can do nothing and I have to go back to my old temporary room. I was appalled by their attitude at that time, they just gave me a key to an occupied room with people's stuff all around. What would have happened if I pick up some of their stuff & leave? Nobody seems to be worried about it. It was already 9.15PM, I lost my cool and told them coldly that this is not the right treatment for the Gold Member and I would like to speak to the Manager. Hotel Manager Bryan Carlyle walked out and told me that I booked through Orbitz and sorry we are busy today and so they cannot change the room. I told them that I booked it through Orbitz because at the time of booking pre-paid rate on Hilton website & Orbitz price was exactly same and so I did not book a cheaper room, I just booked for convenience with flight & hotel at the same place. After some arguments, I was given a 19th floor room on Tower 2 and on a waiting list for Tower 1(which of course never happened!). By the Way, a microwave turned up on my room on the second day of our stay!

My favorite service desk is Concierge, they don’t care about you. They would just give some random advice and go. Unless you persist more, you are not going to get much information. Not a very helpful bunch of people. BTW, each advice is different, including information about tour companies. Each one will point you to different tour companies. So it’s better, you do your research!

They have 1(I repeat one) computer for printing Boarding Passes for the 1900 Rooms in the Hotel!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I've been staying at this Hiton for a couple of years on business. The economy has taken it's toll on this particular hotel. The amenities that used to exist - everything from a VIP lounge to evening chocolates to shower caps - have disappeared. The hotel is still a good place to stay, but it is several blocks from Union Square. Also, it is situated next to a very unsavory part of town. Over the last two years, I have been increasingly uneasy walking around in the evening or early morning.
Also, there was no rating button for the restaurant or room service. The restaurant is mediocre at best and the room service is extremely limited and very expensive. Fortunately, there are plenty of other dining choices in San Franciso.
The staff are always friendly and helpful - especially the doormen.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Dear cyscokitty,
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. Over the last year we have made some adjustment to our room inventory and have re-categorized our Executive level room into City View tower room. Which include a Continental breakfast at Starbucks and in-room Continental service. In addition, the amenities you noted above are all available complimentary upon request. I am sorry you did not enjoy our food and beverage services and would hope you would give us another try on your next visit. There are many choices when visiting San Francisco and we hope to see you on your next visit.

Philaddelphia, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

The rooms were nice and cozy. The gym was great howevver it was $15.00 per day. The hotel also charged $0.75 for a newspaper unless you opted out! Internet was $15.99 each 24 hour period. No wireless internet in the rooms only in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Dear estar_9,
Thank you for your comments. We are currently exploring adding wireless internet to our guest rooms, but currently this option is available in our main lobby. Our guest rooms are all equipped with full high speed internet access, We look forward to welcoming you to “your home away from home” on your next visit to San Francisco.

Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

The hotel was spotless and the staff nice and professional. The rooms are a bit on the small side but that is the worst I can say. The location at Union square is excellent. Close to muni and cable cars. I had a great time in San Francisco and would stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton San Francisco Union Square? Share your experiences!