“Big Convention Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Lee, NJ
“Big Convention Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This is a big city convention hotel. It's large, efficient and business like but lacks any charm and intimacy. Staff is helpful, rooms are typical Hilton (clean but a bit worn), food is OK and location is excellent. There are plenty of better choices in the immediate area if you are looking for a nice hotel with character. But if you want to use or earn HHonors points this is a perfectly acceptable choice.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Taylor_Hilton, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your stay. We sincerely apologize that you did not feel a personal touch while you were here. We are glad, however, that our staff was helpful and that your room was clean. We appreciate your comments regarding your room. We will be sure to use your feedback as we continue to renovate our hotel. We invite you to come back and stay in our newly renovated Skyline Bay View rooms to experience the modern look and feel we are moving towards. Thank you again for your comments, we hope to get the opportunity to truly wow you on your next trip to San Francisco.

4,019 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've stayed at this Hilton many times over the years and the last few, and in particular my stay this weekend, has seen the service drop off. Granted this is a very large property so I don't expect the service which may be afforded a smaller property. The first issue arose upon arrival. I used my Hilton Hhoners points for my stay. We wanted to be on the bay view side of tower 1 so I called the property ahead of time and asked how they defined the premium room of "SKYLINE-BAY VIEW" I was told that it could be either a skyline view or bay view -- makes sense. I told the rep at the hotel that unless I could be guaranteed a bay view that we would pass on the property for this weekend. She told me that there would not be a problem making sure I got the bay view, to book the reservation then call back with the reservation number to confirm a bay view room. I followed her instructions and as you can now guess, even after two calls telling me we had a bay view room, we had a skyline view which from this property is nothing special. Okay, we're here, time to make the best of it. When checking in I ask about the continental breakfast which is to be included with the room. We were provided two vouchers to use in their lobby Starbucks for this. Ok, unusual but workable. Until morning arrived. After waiting in the line 40 minutes we tossed the Starbucks vouchers and headed on our way. The organization of this included continental breakfast was just terrible. On the way out to the valet I stopped at the front desk to see if I could offer my comments to a manager. The front desk staff was friendly and understanding but after another 15 minute wait without the manager appearing it was time to drop my blood pressure and leave.

The rooms are clean and typical convention quality hotel rooms. No issues with the rooms. But, as for the rest, I know we will avoid this particular property in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We appreciate you being such a loyal Hilton traveler. We sincerely apologize, however, that you felt our service did not meet your expectations. We are very sorry that you did not receive a room with a bay view. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected and at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. We are very sorry that you also had to wait for breakfast at Starbucks. We do offer an upgrade to our breakfast buffet for $10 more which includes a variety of breakfast items. We truly appreciate you bringing your comments to our attention, as it helps us improve upon our overall service. We are very sorry that we let you down and we hope to get the opportunity to make it up to you in the future.
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed 1 wk. Traveled with a group. Requested king bed & refrig. Was told we could have king bed but would need to request refrig upon arrival.on arrival had queen bed, no refrig. We were added to list for refrig. Another couple in our group had no special request & got king bed & refrig. After pointing this out to staff we were given another room. Concierge service awesome.Rooms small but clean.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are very sorry that you did not receive the refrigerator upon arrival, but we are glad that we could accommodate you with a new room. We are thrilled that our Concierge team was helpful and that your room was clean. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to get the opportunity to make it up to you on your next stay in San Francisco.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Hilton near Union Square is in a really great location and close to public transportation. We took the BART train from the airport and didn't have a rental car for several days until we checked out.

This is a very large hotel in a very busy part of the most central place in San Francisco. Like a lot of big city hotels, the rooms are very small. The lobby was always bustling with lots of people and there were lines for Starbucks and the breakfast restaurant that were in the hotel. The beds were good, but the bathroom was teeny tiny.

One great feature is that the Concierge's were always available, super helpful and we found their advice accurate.

After we checked out and drove to spend a couple nights in the redwoods, we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Daly City. The Hampton is our go-to hotel in most cities. We were more comfortable there, but definitely needed the rental car which can be a pain in San Francisco.

There is a good chance I would stay there again, although I might shop around to see what else is available. It was great to be so close to everything and it worked out great for my family of four.

Room Tip: See if you can get a nice city view.
Green Features: Seemed better than average for the rest of the US, but typical for what we noticed in San Francisco.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We are happy to hear that you felt the hotel was in a great location for your stay. The close proximity to BART definitely makes travel easier. We are very sorry that the room size was smaller than what you anticipated. We have many different room sizes and shapes. If you happen to visit our property again, please do not hesitate to ask the front desk about different room types and availability. We are also delighted to hear that the Concierge team was very attentive and we are glad that they were able to assist you during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Blaricum, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My family stayed here for three nights at the start of a road trip through California. The enormous lobby and the rooms can get noisy and the facilities have seen better days but location-wise it is great, we could not fault the staff and really enjoyed the breakfast menu.

Stayed July 2014
We appreciate you sharing your honest feedback with us. We apologize that you felt our hotel was outdated. We will be sure to use your comments as we continue to renovate and change our hotel. We are glad however that you enjoyed the location and our breakfast buffet. Thank you again for your comments, we hope to get the opportunity to truly wow you on your next trip to our area.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Ok I know it's in the center of San Francisco but should be as nice as a Hampton inn. Mini bar is empty they could put a fridge in but that's extra, the beds they say are queen are smaller than the headboard & definetly don't feel as big. Is it to much to ask for when you have the headboard there and cabinet for the fridge. Just paying for the location & they know it.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in the area but we apologize that we fell short on your expectations. We appreciate your comments regarding the fridge and the beds. We will be sure to use your feedback as we continue to make changes at our hotel. Thank you again for your review, we hope to get the opportunity to truly wow you on your next visit to San Francisco.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here with my husband and son for 2 nights. We have stayed here before and even though it is quite expensive it is very good value for money compared to other similar hotels in area. I can't really understand the bad reviews, it is a large hotel with a lot of guests but all staff I spoke to were lovely, helpful and polite. Our room was great for the 3 of us. Hotel ideal for Union Square and I understand people's reviews of area, but we didn't go to dodgy area and I suspect most people don't so don't let that put you off hotel. We had breakfast in restaurant, not Starbucks, and it was great. Loads of choice and cooked to order items too. Staff were very helpful and polite in here too. I agree foyer is chaotic but that is because of large number of guests. Our check in was really quick with helpful receptionist. I cant really fault this hotel at all. Good hotel for good price and friendly staff, stay here if you want to be convenient for Union Square and for trams. I will stay here again

Room Tip: I didn't hear any noise at all, I stayed in Tower 3
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your kind words! We are thrilled that you had a good experience at our hotel and that you received good service throughout your stay. We are also happy to hear that your room was great and that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Urban Tavern. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our property in the future!

Been to Hilton San Francisco Union Square? Share your experiences!