“HH Gold/Diamonds - Lower Your Expectations” 3 of 5 stars

$179 (USD)
Ranked #109 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“HH Gold/Diamonds - Lower Your Expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I recently stayed at the property for two nights while attending a conference across the street. This review is based on my experience as a HH Diamond and the amenities I received. 24 hours prior to my arrival, I checked in on-line. To my surprise, the hotel had pre-selected my room to a King Executive with Mini Bar. Great, now I don’t have to ask about an upgrade when I check in.

Location – Pro’s and Con’s. The hotel is centrally located to all the major shopping areas, and somewhat accessible to the highway. If you’re a single traveler, be careful walking outside on your own. I encountered several aggressive homeless people. Avoid Turk street.

Check in – This hotel has over 2000 rooms, as you can imagine, the queues can be long. There is a dedicated HH line and I had no wait in line. I was given coupons to use in the restaurant for continental breakfast and the usual complimentary Wi-Fi. The lobby looks like there is a tech conference going on. There is a large sitting/common area in the center of the lobby and everyone is on their ipad/iphone etc. It’s very busy and noisy. There is a Starbucks, and be prepared to wait. If you go out the front door, turn to your right and the end of the block, there is another Starbucks with no wait.

There are several different wings and elevators. Do make sure you take the correct one. I was in the tower where the HH members are located (so I was told) 32nd floor. As for the Executive room – well, I was not in an Executive room. I’ve stayed at Hilton’s as a Gold or Diamond for 8 years, and I know what an executive room is like. No water, slippers, robe, welcome amenity. In fact, not much of anything. The mini bar had blue painters tape on it in the shape of a big “X” – In other words – out of use. I would not have been irritated had I not been told I was upgraded to an executive room, but I was and my therefore my expectations were higher. Later on I spoke to the front desk and inquired about my room. I mentioned all the things that were missing in my executive room. The agent acknowledged that I was not in an executive room, those are located on the 42nd floor. I let her know that they falsely marketed the room to me. When I returned from dinner, I had bottle water and bath robes. Apparently several of the rooms have been updated, mine was not and it was quite dated. The bed was comfortable, the view was nice, and the shower pressure was good. Not much else.

HH Continental breakfast in the restaurant was wonderful. You could upgrade for $10 more for hot eggs –not worth it in my opinion as there was so much other food available as part of the continental. Also includes juice and coffee. You can also redeem your coupon at Starbucks, but not the better value here.

NO EXECUTIVE LOUNGE at this property.

I did valet park my car at $50 per day. Steep, but comparable to other properties. The valet attendants were extremely helpful and polite. They provided clear directions to get back on the highway.

Hilton Management – Please correct and properly market the room type on the website. Don’t falsely market the room as an upgrade when clearly it’s not. Given the choice, I would not return to this property again. I would look for a smaller property with staff that can provide more personal service. It’s kind of hard to do that here with the amount of rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Indonesian first
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised at the high level of customer service at this hotel and the features it offered. The have a massive lobby that is always buzzing with activity and makes you feel energetic and ready to get going at whatever you are in San Francisco for. They offer safe and secure on-site parking along with a Starbucks, restaurant and always lively bar right at the lobby. The staff was extra helpful and vert detailed in explaining how get to your room, around town or with any room adjustments or changes.

You could tell that they are used to receiving lots of guests and are about getting your repeat business. I was worried as to how I would be received since we booked through Hotwire, but the staff made me feel like I was an elite frequent traveller with them from the start. I am also a very loyal Marriott user so I was worried about Hilton delivering. I really appreciated their proximity to many of the major attractions and sights in San Francisco. I am used to walking a lot when I visit there but didn't have to do that so much this time. All in all, this visit really made me more enthusiastic about using Hilton hotels in the future.

Room Tip: Make sure you tell them you want two queen beds if you are 3 or more people, because they default to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Good location in the heart of San Francisco! Walking distance to union square. The room was acceptable, however I was surprised that there wasn't a bar fridge in the room. This is a conference hotel, so there is always chaos in reception plus the fact that their was a Starbuck.. not sure if this is a good or bad thing! I read reviews regarding delays in check-ins prior to booking here, I didn't have any problems and found the concierge team to be very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed three nights in a junior suite in Tower 1 at the Hilton Union Square hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is convenient to shopping and a number of very good restaurants. The staff was friendly and went out of their to ensure that our questions were answered and our stay was pleasant. Our room was spacious with a fantastic bay view. The bed was very comfortable. The housekeeping staff was also exceptional. The hotel was packed because of a convention, but we never waited long for an elevator or heard anyone in the halls or in the rooms next to us. There was also a safe in the room which came in quite handy. Security was always visible (a must for me at any hotel). Finally, kudos to the doormen and to Maria at the front desk. They are exceptional! I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My bag was stolen when I had a breakfast on October4,2012 but in dining room it had no camera, it had cameras at Lobby. When I called hotel's security staffs to inform this incident, the hotel's security staffs are not helpful and ignored to see the camera at Lobby. I waited for so long time and explained to him after that he re-played the video but he didn't intend to see the camera. Moreover, he didn't call the police. He let me wait at my room again and I waited for so long time, it passed 1 hour and the hotel's security staffs didn't do anything. After that I had to call the police by myself. When the San Francisco police came, I told information and the police created a case & record. For 4 stars hotel as Hilton, but it has no security control enough and the hotel's security staffs are not helpful and no any action. Very disappointed in this hotel services and security control.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Scott B, Director of Sales at Hilton San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience during your recent stay. We appreciate how quickly you brought this issue to our attention allowing us to follow up with our security department ensuring that you and future guests are taken care of. Our guest security and safety is of utmost importance to all of us. We will review all of the detail that you have shared so that we can be sure we are taking every precaution to ensure the safety of all our guests. If I can assist you further, please let me know. Thank you again for your feedback.
MARKHAM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am a Hilton Diamond Member and usually love most Hiltons. This one did not measure up! The lobby is utlitarian and has many obviously non-hotel guests sitting around. The service was attentive and pleasant, but cannot overcome the negatives. One A Tower elevator was out of commission for more than a day, and a foul odor was present around it. There is no lounge (we were told that this was for our convenience!!!!). The breakfast lineup at Starbucks was 20 minutes, the sit down restaurant longer. Rooms - blah. By the way, location is NOT on Union Square - it is several blocks, and many homeless panhandlers, away.

Room Tip: Choose the other Hilton
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Scott B, Director of Sales at Hilton San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking time to share with us your experience from your recent stay. We apologize we did not live up to your expectations. While we are glad to hear about the pleasant level of service, we regret the property did not meet your needs. Your feedback will assist us in working to improve our hotel facility, service, and overall guest experience. Thank you again for your review.
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for a conference. It seemed overpriced to me at $218 per night but I know San Francisco is pricey. It was OK but nothing special in any way. It literally takes up an entire city block. The room was small but adequate. The staff was friendly though they could have warned us to be careful when exiting through the Taylor Street door. One morning, I stepped out onto Taylor Street and went left toward Market Street which was two blocks away. As I was approaching Market Street, a woman flew out of nowhere and shoved me, screaming at me to stop following her. I was stunned and she clearly was getting ready to hit me again when a guy saw her and quickly pulled her off of me. Even though I got away, she followed me to Market Street and was still yelling at me, so I ducked into a high end store and got away from her. I mentioned the incident later, in passing, to a hotel security guard and he immediately said, "Oh yeah, you always want to use the O'Farrell Street exit and turn left. That way, you'll stay in the safe tourist area." Well, it would have been nice to be told that while we were checking in, not after I'd been assaulted only 1.5 blocks from the hotel.

By the way, because of the size of the hotel, housekeeping starts cleaning rooms early so hang the "Do Not Disturb" sign out the night before if you're not an early riser.

One good thing about the hotel was the Starbucks located inside the hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton San Francisco Union Square? Share your experiences!