I recently stayed at the property for two nights while attending a conference across the street. This review is based on my experience as a HH Diamond and the amenities I received. 24 hours prior to my arrival, I checked in on-line. To my surprise, the hotel had pre-selected my room to a King Executive with Mini Bar. Great, now I don’t have to ask about an upgrade when I check in.
Location – Pro’s and Con’s. The hotel is centrally located to all the major shopping areas, and somewhat accessible to the highway. If you’re a single traveler, be careful walking outside on your own. I encountered several aggressive homeless people. Avoid Turk street.
Check in – This hotel has over 2000 rooms, as you can imagine, the queues can be long. There is a dedicated HH line and I had no wait in line. I was given coupons to use in the restaurant for continental breakfast and the usual complimentary Wi-Fi. The lobby looks like there is a tech conference going on. There is a large sitting/common area in the center of the lobby and everyone is on their ipad/iphone etc. It’s very busy and noisy. There is a Starbucks, and be prepared to wait. If you go out the front door, turn to your right and the end of the block, there is another Starbucks with no wait.
There are several different wings and elevators. Do make sure you take the correct one. I was in the tower where the HH members are located (so I was told) 32nd floor. As for the Executive room – well, I was not in an Executive room. I’ve stayed at Hilton’s as a Gold or Diamond for 8 years, and I know what an executive room is like. No water, slippers, robe, welcome amenity. In fact, not much of anything. The mini bar had blue painters tape on it in the shape of a big “X” – In other words – out of use. I would not have been irritated had I not been told I was upgraded to an executive room, but I was and my therefore my expectations were higher. Later on I spoke to the front desk and inquired about my room. I mentioned all the things that were missing in my executive room. The agent acknowledged that I was not in an executive room, those are located on the 42nd floor. I let her know that they falsely marketed the room to me. When I returned from dinner, I had bottle water and bath robes. Apparently several of the rooms have been updated, mine was not and it was quite dated. The bed was comfortable, the view was nice, and the shower pressure was good. Not much else.
HH Continental breakfast in the restaurant was wonderful. You could upgrade for $10 more for hot eggs –not worth it in my opinion as there was so much other food available as part of the continental. Also includes juice and coffee. You can also redeem your coupon at Starbucks, but not the better value here.
NO EXECUTIVE LOUNGE at this property.
I did valet park my car at $50 per day. Steep, but comparable to other properties. The valet attendants were extremely helpful and polite. They provided clear directions to get back on the highway.
Hilton Management – Please correct and properly market the room type on the website. Don’t falsely market the room as an upgrade when clearly it’s not. Given the choice, I would not return to this property again. I would look for a smaller property with staff that can provide more personal service. It’s kind of hard to do that here with the amount of rooms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel is within walking distance to all the excitement of the Bay Area. Whether you're on business or vacation, there's something for everyone in the heart of the city! Among downtown San Francisco hotels, no other destination matches our blend of style, service, and setting. Find yourself within walking distance to famous neighborhoods like Chinatown and Nob Hill, the iconic Cable Cars, fabulous shopping, and dining all located in the heart of the theater district. Our dynamic Hilton San Francisco Union Square hotel features splendid resort-style touches – a heated outdoor pool and whirlpool perched atop the lush 16th floor deck, and delicious dining at the stylish Urban Tavern Restaurant. For corporate guests, we offer over 134,000 square feet of state-of-the-art meeting facilities, where the Bay views are stunning and the service flawless. With its history and grandeur, the Hilton San Francisco Union Square hotel offers everything you need for extraordinary business trips or vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Agoda, getaroom.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hilton San Francisco Union Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton San Francisco Union Square Hotel San Francisco
- Hilton Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Hilton