“Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #122 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
San Diego, California
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I found it very good, great location for exploring the city. Downsides are breakfast, room was small and the bathroom a bit old. I recommend it for a short stay. Friendly staff

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for the review!

We are glad you enjoyed the location and property. Our free continental breakfast is there to help our guests get a jumpstart on the day, if you are looking for anything more substantial, we are lucky enough to have Mel's Drive-In attached to our lobby for a full service breakfast experience. We are so glad you enjoyed our property and our city.

Dierk Demers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

At first glance, the Opal seems a bit old fashioned, more on the frumpy side than in the hip vintagey way. Some, however, may consider the red patterned carpet a bit nostalgic;it is, after all, a restored hotel. The staff was very friendly and knowlegable about local cultural attractions and the best way to get to them. They made the check in process a breeze and were helpful in arranging transportation back to the airport. The continental breakfast was a nice bonus, and the woman in charge of keeping everything organized and refilled was an absolute doll. She even let me borrow her tray when she saw me struggling to gather to-go items items to bring to my rent a car to hold my boyfriend and I over during our drive to Napa. The rooms are very minimal, but clean. If you are visiting San Francisco on a budget, you can be rest assured that The Opal will provide you with everything you need: a comfortable bed, sustainance, and proximity to some of the best culture, shopping, and nature in the United States.

• Stayed February 2013
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for the response. I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel. Our team being so happy to help and willing to go the extra mile is definitely something that helps us stand out among our peers.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed with family during the first week of january/2013, hotel is really good, rooms are clean large enough for a family, place is safe, people at the reception are very friendly and helpful. I will certainly stay in ghis hotel again when visiting San Francisco next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the junior suite
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review!

It is our pleasure to provide our guests with clean accomodations and friendly faces while they explore our beautiful city. I am very happy that we were able to meet and even exceed your expectations.

We hope to see you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

A co-worker and I had to go to a conference at the holiday inn, 5 blocks down. Parking there was $55/nt! I booked the Opal because of the positive reviews, and was still pleasantly surprised. We arrived at 7am, and they let me check in! I wanted to just park my car in their secure garage, so when the conference was over I could just walk back and check in, but that was great. Then, I checked out before the conference the next day, and they let me keep my car there till the early afternoon, without charging me another day! The staff was great, wi fi worked beautifully, food great.

Oh and for the smokers, they had this cool little outside seating area. Oh and the showers were awesome! Thick, firm hot water: seems kind of odd to say, but it was a great shower!

Japantown 5 blocks, the wharf was a quick bus ride on the 47, and union square, a good 10 block walk or another quick straight shot on the 38. Mel's dinner next door, and this yummy pizzeria across the street. I wanted to check out the gelato place actoss the street too, but no room for dessert!

We have 3 more conferences there for the next 3 months. We will definitely be going back and telling the rest of our co-workers how great the Opal was!

• Stayed January 2013
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and will be coming to see us again soon. Our team is dedicated to guest satisfaction and it is great that they were able to take care of you on say many occasions.

We will see you again soon and feel free to contact us directly regarding your future stays at (415) 673 4711.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My stay at The Opal was unexpected as my reservation was transferred from another boutique hotel at the last minute due to overbooking. The Opal did not disappoint. From the complimentary underground parking to the very helpful and accommodating front desk staff to the continental breakfast I was taken care of.

I will stay again when I visit San Francisco.

• Stayed January 2013
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for trying The Opal. We are always glad to help out another hotel in need and we are very happy to have made a good impression. My sincere hope is that we will have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Shenzhen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

When I read about 'restored ' hotels, I am a bit leery. They can be charming or atoricious, depending on the owner's definition of 'restored'. We were delightfully surprised by The Opal. It's a beautiful old hotel, nicely restored in the center of San Franscisco. It was within easy reach of everthing we wanted to do. Since we like to walk a lot, it was a great visit. If you are more into powered transportation, that is also in abundance winthin a few steps of the front door. An additional treat is Mel's Diner, attached to the first floor lobby. Particularly nice was the very helpful staff working there. All in all, a great stay.

Room Tip: There is not much of a view from the side street room, although we didn't spend much time in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the response. Our building was built in 1908 (although the hotel dates back even farther, before the great earthquake of 1906) and it is certainly a member of the old guard in the city. We are very happy that you enjoyed its elegant charm. Our room views are fairly limited, but we try to make up for it with excellent service and a great location to explore all areas of the city. Thank you for staying with us.

Redway, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I found this hotel while searching for certain criteria for a hospital visit of an elder aunt and this place had everything we required. The price is cheap, but the hotel is clean, roomy, safe, convienent. I like it because there is a Mel's Diner right next door with a doorway between. They have a safe and easy access garage. It is close to the Opera and Civic Center, but is out of the riff raf of the other hotels closer that are not nice. You can get a cab and be downtown in 5 minutes. I love this place and I stay everytime!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for the response!

We are so happy that you enjoy our hotel and location. Your review encapsulates everything we love about the property and we are glad that you agree. We cannot wait to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Dierk Demers

Been to The Opal San Francisco? Share your experiences!