“This place is a decent budget hotel...these other reviews are comical” 3 of 5 stars
Review of City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco

You added City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco to your Saves list
City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   240 7th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Formerly Ramada Limited Downtown)   |
Ranked #215 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
johnsonville
“This place is a decent budget hotel...these other reviews are comical”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

After reading some of these reviews I was expecting the worst. Instead I got what I would have expected if I hadn't read other people's comments. I stayed on the third floor in main building. Room was clean and somewhat recently remodeled (budget hotel style). Bathroom was clean. There were towels and a heat lamp. Alarm clock worked. Free WiFi. Got 5 or 6 TV channels HBO, CNN, CBS or something. Double bed had 4 pillows. Dandruff between wall and mattress with no bedbug feces was a good sign that the room had been bedbug free for a long time (or the previous occupant was molting). Didn't see bugs of any kind. The hair dryer from 1987 still worked. They've been wallpapering around it for some time. Could hear loud conversation of drunk kids in adjacent room, then they wrestled around and left. Travel with a sound machine for things like this. The location is decent a couple of blocks to Market St, BART and MUNI. Immediate area is mostly a mix of young professionals, homeless people and sketchy people. I made sure to request the main building to avoid some of the experiences of other travelers. Eat the breakfast at your own risk. There's a decent cafe on the corner.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

The one reason I chose this hotel was that it was conveniently situated and slightly cheaper than the others around it. What can I say, my wallet needed a bit of a break.

Their site claims : "Newly Renovated in 2008". I guess they didn't bother fixing the bathroom door which wouldn't close. The wallpaper showed sign of age. Other signs of damage in the bathroom (slight) was impossible to miss. The one thing that made me laugh was a visible imprint of an iron on the bed cover. I wonder how long it's been there, ha ha! (note: bed cover not burnt, just an unmistakable print of an iron).

The television had only 5 working channels, so if you plan on trying to catch a few of your favorite programs before going to sleep, you may be unlucky. Bring your laptop, the internet is free with a decent connection.

The area is rather gloomy later at night. For women visitors, it can feel slightly unnerving walking in the vicinity.

There was noise from the construction nearby, but I don't hold it against them: there was a warning about it on their website, and I was planning to be away for most of the day. The noise level within the hotel itself was okay, but it did feel like every nearby noises would leak into the room. Be warned: if the neighbours are noisy, you WILL hear them.

Final verdict: You may wish to pay slightly more and stay at other nearby hotels if you want a bit more out of your hotel stay. If you're only planning on staying there overnight and are not too picky, it will serve your basic needs. Personally, I'd price the room at 69$ or 79$ and I could call it a great deal.
If you can overlook the little things that don't work here and there. You've been warned.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Astoria Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

I booked this Inn for my Daughter and grandaughter on line, using my Amex credit card. Also booked train travel at the same time.Train travel was outstanding. The stay at Knights Inn was a nightmare! After traveling all night on the train, they asked for early check in, but were rudely refused. There is a way of saying no, without being rude. Although they had a confirmation, the credit card was refused because The card was at home with me. When My daughter called from the lobby, I spoke with the clerk, but I could only make out every other word, since his english was so bad.I was told there was nothing he would do to help them.My daughter had still another of my credit cards with her. My name appeared on it but my daughter is an authorized user on the account. This card was also refused. I spoke again with the clerk asking him to just call the 800 number on the card and gain authorization from the company. This he also refused to do.I then spoke to the so called manager who was no help as well. Finally, I was able to leave my home and find a location where a fax could be recieved and sent. I copied my Oregon drivers licence and faxed that to the Inn., and then and only then were my family able to enter the room...I and none of my family nor any one that I will inform in the future will ever stay at this on any other Knights Inns...C.W.Hagert Astoria Oregon

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Hollywood
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

I placed my reservation on the phone and was told I would get a suite with double beds, a pullout couch, microwave, and mini fridge. We arrived at this hotel about half an hour early. The girl at the front desk was friendly and checked us in. The whole building smells old and damp. When we got to the room (hotel is divided with more rooms across the street). The door was very hard to open and the room was extremely small. There was 2 beds but no pullout couch, microwave, or fridge. The tub’s faucet was leaking heavily and the “suite” didn’t have enough room for 4 people as promised by Ramc on the phone. We confronted the manager and he laughed that I would be promised a pullout couch when there is no such thing at this hotel. He also said I could upgrade to a suite for more money. I was so upset by this since that is what I had booked at a rate of $99 per night and now he wanted $50 extra without any of the other amenities promised other than a roll-away bed. I asked him to contact Ramc which quoted the price… he called him and spoke to him in their language laughing the whole time, which was even more unprofessional since we couldn’t understand him. Infuriated we cancelled our reservation and left to the Stanford Court Hotel – A clean, friendly, professional hotel. Overall, their cheap prices are not worth the smell, rudeness, or tiny space.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

This “hotel” definitely did not live up to its website and pictures. I took my mother there for a nice vacation. However, when we first arrived, we had to use the stairs since the elevator was out of order. Then when we tried to get into our room, we had to use all our weight to open the door because it would stick. Then once in our room, we found that our phone did not work. When I first went down to report it, one of the employees tried to fix our phone and when it didn’t work, he let me borrow his cell phone. We were told it would be fixed the next day. Of course it wasn’t and when I said something to the manager, I was told I probably didn’t know how to work it. He came up and tried to replace it, but the jack was dead.

As for the room itself, the carpets and curtains were stained, the bedspread was torn and sewn back together in spots. We were supposed to have Free HBO and some other cable channels; however, we were told they hadn’t upgraded to digital yet, so we only got 2 channels – ESPN and CNN. In the bathroom we had one towel, which was ragged, the “deluxe” hairdryer was extremely old and would get too hot to hold. When we went to the desk to get more towels and a washcloth, they only had hand towels left. We did get 2 towels the next day, but one had stains on it and was falling apart.

On the day we checked out, we needed to call our airport shuttle and we were told that we were not allowed to use their phone in the lobby since we had already checked out. Luckily another guest let us use his phone.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

I arrived off an early flight & thought I might be able to check in early, upon meeting the desk clerk this was immediately dismissed with a very blunt "check in is not until 3, we're still cleaning the rooms" This is ok I can understand that, however staying 3 nights I soon discovered the place was not very busy as a lot of places are also running with empty rooms in the current climate. The room was just basically clean. The USA switched to Digital TV on Jun 12, as of that date there were only 2 TV channels, you can get a bit tired of CNN and the sports channel. The walls were paper thin, hearing the next door guests' amorous adventures was more than I was looking for. The evening Check in Clerk did not believe me when I told him the iron was faulty & it was blowing the fuses when I plugged it it, he tried to tell me I didn't know how to use it, when he came to the room to inspect it, still not believing the iron was at fault, I demonstrated each power point, he then decided to get another iron. Next morning I went up the street & asked The Good Hotel if they had a brochure, they said no but were happy for me to inspect the rooms, I did, that's where I will stay in future, they also had no problem letting their guests check in early.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

Im not really one to complain but this is THE WORST hotel we stayed in our whole trip! The bed smelt faintly of urine and our TV only picked up 2 channels and this was never fixed dispite calling the front desk a few times about it. But the worst thing is the location... its in this really scary area where there were so many weirdos harrasing you as you walked down the street. We really didnt wanna go out after dark. My advice is to stay near Union Square if you wanna be in the city. its cheap but not really worth it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco? Share your experiences!