“DO NOT STAY HERE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco

Save Saved
You added City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco to your Saves list
City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   240 7th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Formerly Ramada Limited Downtown)   |
Ranked #214 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Perth, Australia
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011 via mobile

We booked this hotel at the last minute as we drove into the city late.

At first we thought the hotel was a bit run down but service was okay and it was in an okay location to union square.

After the second night and noticing a few bite marks on me I started to become concerned.by the third day I was completely covered in bed bug bites,and I have never been so itchy in my life.

I'm not being a drama queen but this hotel pretty much ruined my holiday for the next 10 days as I dealt with these stupid bites.

When we checked out I told the front desk and got a 'ohhh well we have your details so we'll get in touch...' but two weeks later still nothing.

There is nothing good about this hotel except the free parking.

• Stayed November 2011

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stay there for one night in three different rooms!! All of them were full with BAD BUGS!!! My advice is - Find a different hotel!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I recently stayed here and was quite happy. It's in a good location and gave us a great deal for an expensive city. Friendly staff, rooms were clean, and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We arrived an hour before check in and the staff was kind enough to allow us to park our car and leave our bags with them, no charges or hassle. Upon our return that night, check in was quick and easy! EVERY staff member was kind and curteous.... BUT that is where it all ENDED.
My two friends and I dragged our luggage ACROSS the street (the hotel has rooms on BOTH sides of the street) and then up TWO flights of stairs... no REAL big issue, YET.
Upon entering the room, we were OVERWHELMED with the smell and filth. The drapes have probably NEVER been cleaned, (at one time, they must've been beige, but now are more a GREY-BLACK color). The bedding was stained. Only ONE bed had a mattress pad cover, but both (AT LEAST) mattresses were wrapped in plastic. I assume this is because of bed bugs or something. It was great to find dried boogers on the walls, right at eye level when lying in bed.
I entered the bathroom and found a smoked cigarette on the floor, next to the tub. The sink was spotless, but the tub was pretty gross. NONE of us took a shower, but I washed off my feet. More watered poured out of the faucet were it met the wall than the faucet itself.
Needless to say, if other hotels weren't booked solid, we would have stayed somewhere else.
Overall, we would not recommend booking here (even though the staff was super nice and helpful). The place is dirty and the housekeeping is non-existent.

Room Tip: Just don't!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Knights240, Front Office Manager at City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
We did apologize for the bed bugs and we do not bring them in and unfortunately they are brought in by travellers and we are taking many preventive care and it is a challenge, I will speak to my housekeeper of 14 years as she is very thorough and the details of cleanliness. We are very clean hotel and work very hard to maintain a very a clean and safe hotel. We offer a great value, free limited parking, convenient yet quiet location, free lite continental breakfast, free wi-fi and a friendly/knowledgeable staff. Thank you for your comment, we will definitely increase our efforts to screen out possible bed bug carriers and work closely with Homeland Security and the San Francisco Health Department to inspect luggage/hand luggage before check-in.
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

So my girlfriends and I ran in a marathon this past weekend and unfortunately waited too long to reserve a hotel so we got stuck here. And I mean stuck! Our room was scary! Our first look at the room revealed drapes that were blackened with dirt and stains, a wet cigarette on our bathtub, and torn and stained bedspreads. There was no mattress pads on the bed, so we tried to sleep on sheets over top of plastic. After a terrible night sleep we got up to find a tic crawling up one of our walls! We flew out of the room only to get home and actually have a huge bug come out of our suitcase! After reading the reviews I have to say that the staff was actually really really nice, and it was awesome to have secured parking... but everything else was awful! Never again will we ever stay here, and I will warn all others even considering it!

Room Tip: Try somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Palm Springs, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

What's really interesting about all of the reviews here is that the hotel GM has responded to every single one. But notice she makes not one apology and is defensive in every one, even making accusations back at the guests. This, dear travelers, sums up the experience you will have at the Knights Inn Downtown.

I agree with Mantraveler regarding the staff. But Varsha GM please note he used the word "apathetic" not "pathetic". Apathetic means disinterested and unconcerned which is exactly how I would describe the staff at this hotel.

Also she constantly defends the wait times saying 15-20 minutes is fine. I agree that would have been fine. But I waited 1hr and 25 minutes to check in! My partner walked to Starbucks and back and I had moved one place in line! And the check in person was so unbelievably slow. And just didn't care. And made no apology for the wait time.

My room key stopped working at the same time every day. And of course that meant lining up again in reception for a new key.

There is no fridge in the room. Why?

They advertise cable TV but there are about 10 channels max.

The towels are so small they're barely wrapped around me.

The rooms are very noisy - you have to sleep with the a/c on so that you can't here the cleaners literally yelling at each other outside your window.

But all of this is insignificant compared to the issue of the staff and their terrible attitude. And judging on Varsha GM's comments here, it is no surprise - she obviously has no concern for customer satisfaction either and therefore condones it with her staff.

I will say this on a positive note - the location in proximity to the Folsom Street Fair is outstanding. However, there are a handful of other hotels with equal proximity.

I will never stay in this hotel again. And would seriously warn anyone against it. These reviews are not exaggerated - it is simply terrible.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Knights240, General Manager at City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear Guests,

We have addressed the speed of check-in with my Front Desk clerk, which caused you all the aggravations, however, its often been the guest in front of you does not have enough money on their debit card, when we very specifically ask for a major credit card upon check in, which can cause delays up to 15-20 minutes or even 45 minutes, there are many small reasons, but we do not do it intentionally. We are a small hotel and doing our level best, and realize we can not meet everyone's standards and you have other choices, but to take out all your anger on us after staying with us for 1 to 3 nights is questionable and very disheartening, as my staff is working hard and myself every day. From the thousands of guest who stayed with us thus far this year, it is become evident the chronic complainers use TripAdvisor to voice their anger, and disappointment, as a rule, you do not like the place immediately within 5 minutes in entereing a room, then why stay, because you can't afford another hotel or there were no other rooms available - these are poor excuses, if you do not like my hotel, then don't stay at all, we galdly will cancell your reservation without a charge, but not after messing it up and using it for 2 hours, within 15 minutes you must voice your concerns in a mannerful behavior and stop this uncivilized and ill-manner behavior. Wishing you all peace and a pleasant life.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011 via mobile

Other reviews were correct. The best thing we can say was that it offered off-street parking within view of our room.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco? Share your experiences!