“Beware the Bedbugs..” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #147 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Sydney
“Beware the Bedbugs..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Hotel Whitcomb is a well located budget hotel with the added bonus of a beautiful historical lobby....provided you are allocated a room without bedbugs. Sadly I was not.

All was well with my stay until my third night in town when I woke up in the early hours of the morning to find a large bedbug on my pillow swollen with my blood. In the morning upon checking the room I found another smaller bedbug under my pillow.

Upon reporting this I was moved to another room....After speaking to the manager on duty about my belongings he was able to have my clothing laundered...despite the fact he initially denied the need to do this.

Now that the bites have come out my arms, shoulders, neck and FACE are covered in welts. I have spent the last few days itchy and miserable and I will be returning home with the unwelcome prospect of trying to sanitise my belongings so these disgusting pests are not introduced into my home.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
DerwoodSF, Director of Guest Services at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, September 11, 2009
Dear Guest,
I am pleased that you found the hotel to be well located and to have a beautiful historic ambiance. I am, however, very sorry for any discomfort that you have experienced. I’m very concerned about what happened, as we always pride ourselves in providing an excellent guest experience. We have investigated the room you stayed in and found no history of bed bugs incident. It is possible that the pests were carried via guest's luggage as they do travel on airplanes, buses and rental cars. Please note that this incident has nothing to do with the cleanliness of our rooms as bed bugs do not discriminate, even the most expensive hotels experiences the problem from time to time. Just the same, we have sealed the room and fumigated it by a professional pest control company. Rest assured that this is a very isolated situation and does not reflect our facilities cleanliness. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience so we may discuss any circumstances which may have occurred and please accept my sincerest apologies.
Darin Sturgill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

We stayed 4 nights. Front desk staff very friendly. Location is good as it is close to tourist attractions. However during evening (about 6 PM on), there were alot of homeless wandering souls. Though they kept to themselves, we felt uncomfortable with our young family. During the day, things were fine. The hotel had security at the front door which was reassuring.

The hotel has been remodelled to Victorian style. The room was nicely decorated however there were parts in the hotel that looked quite old and run down (fitness center smelled musty and was old looking). Valet Parking is a premium but it was like that everywhere. We ended up getting our car scratched - we think it may have happened here as during the rest of our trip, we were parked in open spaces. The damage was less than our insurance deductible so it was disappointing.

The price was right and if you want to stay close to tourist attractions without paying an arm and leg, this place is worth considering.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a few words about your stay at the hotel Whitcomb. I am so pleased that you found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed the hotel's historic ambiance. I am also glad that you liked the hotel's location as we are centrally located with all major public transportation right outside our front doors. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
dc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

For the price + service, I really wanted to like this place...but two nights into my stay, my hands, feet, and shoulders were covered in bites. It wasn't until the next night when I actually saw a handful of bedbugs crawling around on the sheets + pillows, but it was definitely enough to turn my opinion of the hotel sour.

Around midnight we notified the front desk and the staff immediately accommodated us and moved us to another room.....still, no apology was offered! Since we booked through priceline + had prepaid our stay, we decided to suck it up + remain at the hotel. Our new room was free of bedbugs and revealed everything was up to par....but after the persistent itching + the images of those bedbugs crawling around in our sheets, we won't be staying here again.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
DerwoodSF, Director of Guest Services at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, August 29, 2009
Dear Guest,
I am pleased that you found the price of your stay to be a good value. I am sorry I did not get to meet with you personally as I did not receive any reports of this claim during your stay. Please contact me as soon as possible so I may investigate this claim further.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

I needed a week in SF with company travel policy "as cheap as reasonably possible." Voila the Whitcomb. Rooms ARE small but clean; Front desk staff ARE brusque but willing to help despite that; Restaurant is surprisingly good for dinner service. The location is a little iffy - walk past 5-6 nudie bars on the way to down town - but BART and buses are right outside the door. For $90 a night, you can't beat it. Free internet. Desk staff honor room requests (eg I asked for a higher floor at check-in and they provided it). Clean, quiet and populated mostly with European vacation groups.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. I am sorry you found the desk staff to be brusque, but I am pleased that they assisted with granting all of your requests. I am also glad that you found the hotel to be an excellent value and hope you will stay with us on your next trip to San Francisco.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

My son stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and paid the full rate on the hotel website. During his stay he discovered that a lot of the other guests were there on cheap deals at about a third of the price. Consequently, he felt this was reflected in the level of service which was poor. He felt that the area around the hotel was particularly unsafe at night.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
I am so sorry you did not get the rate that you wanted during your recent stay with us. As with all hotels, as well as airlines, the rates can fluctuate on a daily basis. Generally, the earlier you make a reservation the better the rate you can receive. If you make reservations at the last minute, you can expect to pay a higher rate. I hope you will give us another try on your next visit to San Francisco.
Hanford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

I really recomend this hotel!!!! It was great, I would definetly recomend anyone to stay here I would also stay here each and everytime I stay in san francisco it was also a great price and verry nice furniture. The receptionest Esmeralda was really nice an helpfull she made sure we were well taken care of. There was not one rude soul in their employees everyone was professional yet nice and kind. The one and only thing I wish would have been diferant was the wait in the morning to get off your floor to check out and I know it's kinda out of there control due to everyone wanting to use it during the busy morning checkout time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. I am so pleased that the staff provided such excellent service, especially Esmeralda. I hope to personally welcome you back on your next visit to San Francisco.
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

The hotel is perfect to do just what we did: go to SF, have a wonderful dinner, walk across the street to see Wicked, get to bed, and wake up ready to head home! The resturant was nice, the food was good (not fanstastic but really good), the piano man could actually play, and the Captain and Coke taste just as good as I have had anywhere else. Actually, the wife had one and had to tame it a bit with some extra Coke! We made it to the theater in about 4 minutes from the hotel, and we said hi to all of the two homeless people we passed. The staff was very friendly and helped us when we asked. There is a Starbucks in the adjoining lobby. It was a perfect getaway for us!

The cons: Parking is $28.00, taxes add up ($99.00 room ended being around $150.00 by the time everything added up). The Pepsi machine was out of bottled water - but at a buck a bottle what do you expect....They could use those shower curtain rods that go out from the shower so the curtain is not in the tub and you have some room. Lastly, tighten the electrical outlets because the bathroom one seem to jiggle.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
DerwoodSF, Director of Guest Services at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, August 24, 2009
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for staying with us during your theater outing. As you mentioned, we are ideally located for the productions playing at the Orpheum Theater as we are located right across the street. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and that you had a great night's sleep. I hope to personally welcome you back on your next theater outing.
Darin Sturgill

Been to Hotel Whitcomb? Share your experiences!