“If I hadn't gotten the room on hotwire for cheap i would have been very upset.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

You added Hotel Whitcomb to your Saves list
Hotel Whitcomb
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1231 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94103   |
Ranked #148 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
Davis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

My biggest complaint is that the valet parking treats your cars like toys.im sorry but I do not appreciate the valet bringing me my car by revving up the engine flying down the alley without his hands on the steering wheel.

The hotel was nice with its victorian style which i very much enjoyed but the service was poor. The staff also was not very friendly

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to communicate your concerns about the valet with our staff. We will also share your thoughts about the service you received with our Front Desk so that they can be aware of your feelings. Thank you again.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

This is not my first time staying here. I think we're going to make it a tradition. The hotel is older but that just adds to it's charm. Historical and still relevant, the Whitcomb is just steps away from all that is happening in SF. But the real reason to stay here is the customer service- Kazi, the customer service manager, is on top of things if an issue should arise. Definitely worth staying here if you care about the quality of your stay.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for all the kind words about your stay with us. We are pleased that you were met with our usual great customer service and attentive managers. I will be sure to share these comments with our staff so they know your stay was great.

Thank you again.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Hotel Whitcomb this past week and I have to say I was a little nervous about the location at first. But the staff is super friendly and awesome. Including the manager Sean. I will definitely stay here again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments about your stay. We are all pleased to get another 5 star review from one of our valued customers. I will be sure to share this with the staff members mentioned.

Thank again.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel from July 2-July 8th, 2014. I chose a petite double room.

The location of this hotel is slightly problematic, though in the hotel's defense, there's nothing it can do about it. It's located on the edge of the Tenderloin district, and there are definitely some rough/scary people about as it's a disadvantaged area of San Francisco. I'd definitely have some concerns travelling to this hotel at night, on foot.

That being said, the transportation choices are excellent. There's a MUNI and BART station right in front of the hotel (local and regional transit). Makes getting to most of the attractions easy, and cheap. It's only a 9 dollar fare from the airport, and it's right outside.

There are plenty of restauarant choices nearby. There's a Subway sandwich place, a diner called Sam's, a Burger King, and a Carl Jrs very close by. There's also a restaurant in the lobby, and a Starbucks in the hotel. Can't beat that for convenience.

After 9PM, or thereabouts, there is security in the lobby. It is required due to the neighbourhood, and I'm glad it was there.

My room. My room was a petite double. The lowest rate per night for this room I paid for was 99 dollars. And for that, you can't really beat the price. The wifi was good, and very reliable. My room had windows facing the inside (not street view) so it was quiet.

However--the room was dark. I don't know if they are trying to cut costs, but the lamps in the room needed more wattage to make up for the fact that there wasn't a lot of light coming from outside. The room was incredibly small. A dresser drawer to help store my clothing would have helped. In fairness, there was a large walk in closet. But it didn't have any light inside, making it fairly useless to store clothing.

The room itself was clean, if not huge. Housekeeping did a great job.

I had no problems with the front desk staff. They were eager to help and cooridinated a late check out time for me at a minimal charge.

All in all? I would stay here again. The price is right, and the location great. What's sad is that the vagrancy and homeless problem around the neighbourhood may turn off some people. I'd feel uncomfortable walking to this hotel at night, even a short 10 min walk. BUT...the location, service, and price still make this a place to stay. If they take my advice about making the rooms a bit brighter in terms of the illumination, it'd be close to perfect.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, choose a room NOT facing Market Street. However, be prepared for a decided lack o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed here the weekend of SF Pride. It was my "Pride Weekend" and the location is amazing!
We had an extremely pleasant stay there. Kazi was amazing and made any glitches right but also made our stay extra special. The room was clean and large which is unusual for a lot of the older remodeled hotels. I was impressed by the details and the fact that hotel security seemed good because the area is very "central" - a plus - but a lot of foot traffic and we felt very safe and comfortable. The beds were awesome - super comfortable and for once ample pillow choices.
We got good advice and some surprise extras when it came to attending weekend events. Thanks to everyone who made our weekend great!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Staying at the Whitcomb reminded me of the Overlook hotel from Stephen King's The Shining - a place with a rich history, which has certainly seen better, grander days.

My visit started with a 15 minute wait for the elevator (which was thankfully not overflowing with blood), a ritual which repeated itself twice a day. I found myself dreading the long waits for the elevator, and actually gave up on going downstairs for coffee some evenings... I've heard many horror stories about the horrible traffic in SF, but at the Whitcomb I got to experience congestion in the stairwell, as I and a few other frustrated guests climbed 7 stories, just to avoid those elevators.

The hotel was filled with many other similar surprises... trash in my room on check-in, lousy showers, an exposed metal bit in the furniture which cut my foot, noisy wake-ups from the street, and for some weird reason only a single tiny mirror in the elevator situated at crotch height... at least that absurdity offered some comic relief from the experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for pride this year and am so happy that I did! Not only was it really close to everything, the customer service was great. Kazi went above and beyond to make sure I had a great time. The room was clean and even though it was an older hotel everything seemed well cared for . I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Hotel Whitcomb? Share your experiences!