“Sketchy from start to finish” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Whitcomb
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1231 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94103   |
Ranked #146 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Nashville, Tennessee
“Sketchy from start to finish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here tonight. Let's just say I'm happy it's only a night. There's weird smells and noises, the bathrooms are the size of the closets, the sheets were musty and the place is old & falling apart. Yes, I get historic but that doesn't mean rundown. The TV was great but the remote control was filthy!! I would never stay with this hotel again and hope I never have to.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments. We are disappointed that the hotel was not us to your needs. We will examine these comments and do our best to make improvements. If you would like to discuss further I am always available to talk personally.

Thank You.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

The public areas are very impressive of times gone by, but our room had had a quickie make over leaving it with poor tiling, plumbing and in need a complete re-fit really.

We felt forced to use concierge parking because firstly the place is hell to find ans=d get into because of the one way systems, and secondly there was not a car park in sight. So we paid up £35 dollar plus taxes a night to park the car.

Our room had interconnecting doors to two other rooms and they are not soundproof. We could easily hear their conversations.

The extractor fan didn't work (they did fix it - but why don't the maids check and report these things) and the light in to suitcase alcove didn't work either.

No coffee maker because there is a Starbucks off the foyer. Breakfast is overpriced, but here is a choice of Starbucks or several fast food establishments across the road.

We did have a a good meal in the dimly lit restaurant with very lean steaks. From our window seat we could watch the local dropouts walk by. We were never pestered - except by the barman when we signed for the bar bill without adding a tip.

All in all, an expensive way to end our holiday and we will be suggesting to Thomas Cook's that they find somewhere else to use instead.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your stay. We are disappointed that each aspect of your stay was not excellent. We are pleased that during your stay you experienced great service and sleep quality. We do hope that if you should return to SF from UK you will contact me personally to assist in your accommodations.

Cheers

Maui, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This is a hotel with a true Way to experience the city of San Francisco! By reading other reviews after I already booked my room thru Hotwire I have to admit it made me a little nervous. I loved the fact that there are little eateries around! U have Walgreens a min walk away. Best of all public transportation right out front! The staff was nice :) I checked in at 1 am with ease! The parking is right behind hotel! I google mapped it so I knew exactly what road an alley to turn on! The hotel has a true historic feel to it! I myself work at a four star resort in Hawaii, so yes I can see how this hotel functions from a different perspective then most! YES, this is a great not to touristy, not overly priced place to stay in San Francisco! I will visit again! Aloha :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are all pleased that another guest loved their stay. We do hope that each time you come to SF from Hawaii you stay with us.

Aloha.

Lindon, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I've stayed here a couple of times. The hotel is very dated which is fine when I'm traveling solo for business. I don't expect I could get my wife or kids to stay here. The pros: large flat-screen TV, comfortable bed, reliable wifi, and a decent fitness room. The cons: very old bathrooms/toilets/showers, old air conditioners. Overall, it's a charming historical hotel with a restaurant/bar and very easy access to Bart/Muni.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay again. We are pleased that we are your choice in SF for your trips to the area. We do hope that you continue to stay with us and please next time ask for me so I can thank you personally for returning.

Thanks Again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

If you like old hotels with homeless people hanging around outside begging and bothering you, this is the place for you. Even the furniture in the lobby appears to not have been cleaned since it opened !! Not recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We do appreciate all feedback both negative and positive so we can better understand our guests feelings and needs. We talk all these reviews very seriously and will examine areas we need to improve. Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Thank you.

Coral Gables, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

At the front desk, the guy from Uruguay was very nice. Cristina was horrible in the only 2 occasions we had to ask her something. Other guy told us the trip to the airport take 2:30hrs, he wanted us to leave at 5:30 to be at the airport at 8. Fortunately we asked other people, trip from hotel to the airport was 16 minutes. Late check out is $100 for only 1 hour. Still thinking on recommend this hotel or not.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us your feedback about your stay. I have read your comments and the details about the information provided by our staff and the charges seem incorrect, so I apologize for any inconvenience. Please contact me directly to discuss and make sure that you were not overcharged.

Thank you in advance.

McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed at this wonderful old historical hotel while we were in SF for our wedding & honeymoon. We absolutely loved it!!! We loved the charm and the history of the hotel. Our room on the 7th floor was great and we loved the views. Our room did face Market and it was noisy, especially in the morning because of construction across the street. If this is a concern ask for a room away from Market. We loved our room and enjoyed the sounds of the city. Everyone we dealt with was awesome. The concierge, Rahn Fudge was wonderful!!!! If you need anything please go to the lobby and speak with him. He will take great care of you. The location of the hotel is perfect for navigating the city. Bart and Muni is right outside the door. There are a lot of homeless in the area, but that is big problem in all areas of the city. They really don't bother you, but you should be aware your surroundings in all areas of the city. Anytime we travel to SF this will be our hotel of choice!

Room Tip: Love the views facing Market, but they are noisier because of the street noise.