“Past it's prime” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1231 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (SoMa)   |
Ranked #149 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
“Past it's prime”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel has no self parking. Only valet. After missing the driveway on Market street a couple of times we found our way in, prior to booking there was no mention of a parking fee. Sadly the reservation was non refundable. A shocking $35 fee was billed for parking.

Upon check in we got our first look at bad things to come. The staff was in no hurry to service anyone. Once it was our turn the woman at the front desk ignored us for several minutes while we walked around and shuffled through papers. Done with that exercise we proceeded to the fifth floor. As the elevator doors open we were overwhelmed by the smell of musk/moisture. The carpeting was in average condition, some areas were raised (wave?) and hall wallpaper had tears.

Sadly, this did not stop once we got into our room. The smell of moisture/mildew was very strong. Upon looking in the bathroom, black mold was around the door frame and near the shower and many gnats were flying around. The back of the bathroom door had hair from prior guests. Very unappealing and made us question what in our room was or was not ever cleaned. The bathroom door did not fully shut and had no lock. When we went to use the heater it was discovered that the vent control did not work, just spun around. The heat originally started but shortly after it stopped working. Older hotels are prone to cross noise from other rooms and this hotel is no exception. In the next room some rowdy pre-teens were laughing and running down the halls and slamming the door past 1am. Only to be up at 7am to start it all over again.

The hotel had a comment card which stated they valued feedback and wanted to help. I filled this out fully and gave it to the manager at check out, it wasn't given a glance and was "thrown" to the side of the desk. Never heard back from our comments.

Getting our vehicle back during check out was a process, there were two attendants and they had to run in many directions to get vehicles. Some were in a single level garage, some were left outside (not good area to have your car outside) and some seemed to be around the block.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback about your recent stay. We are disappointed to hear that your room and overall experience were less than positive. I have taken immediate action to re examine the room and make sure that these areas are addressed.

Thank you again.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Check in: VERY slow (only one staff member working). The man who helped me check in was not rude but not overly friendly. My husband parked the car with Valet ($35/night) and we headed up to our room. We had a ton of luggage but were not offered any help up to our room.

The room: only one outlet in the whole room worked (the lamp didn't even work). There was visible rust and mold in the bathroom. The room absolutely stunk... worse than you can imagine. We opened the window and left for dinner, but when we returned it still smelled awful. The blow dryer didn't work and it took them 20 minutes to bring up a replacement. Although they have free wifi, the username and password weren't given to us so we had to phone down to ask. Perhaps if they would provide people with this information, they would have shorter lines at the front desk. Finally, our key card stopped working. When we went down to get a new one, we gave our list of complaints and thankfully were given the option to move to a different room. I have to say, the new room was 100 times better, but when you are paying that much money,
they should be the same.

Check Out: we tried to leave really early in the morning to beat the traffic, but we had to wait 20 minutes for the valet to bring our car. They park so many cars in their tiny parkade that he had to bring a bucket full of keys so he could move all the other cars that had been parked boxing our car in.

Other: If you are going to walk to Fisherman's Warf, do NOT walk through Tenderloin. We did so without knowing and ended up catching a cab because the neighbourhood was so sketchy. There is Metro station right outside the hotel, however, so that came in handy once we decided to take it.

• Stayed August 2013
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was quiet excited to stay in a nice hotel after camping around America for 17 days (and on that tour we stayed in 3 motels... Which I would say were so much better that here!)
I arrive before check in time, and the lady at the front desk was already serving another person so I waited in line. When it was finally my turn she was incredibly rude not even asking for my name or my ID or anything told me I would have to wait for the bell boy to sort my bags out.
I then stood where the lady had told me and waited for the bell boy, when he finally came he told me and my friend to follow him (to where they stored the bags.)
I understand they may have been busy yet the bell boy didn't talk to me, he mumbled and I found he was very hard to understand.

When I came back to check in after going out around they city (not to mention the streets are filled with homeless people.) there was a different person on the front desk.
There was one other person in line and this seemed to take forever to be served, not to mention while I was waiting in the line I noticed that which the front desk guy was serving the people in front of me (the people from before them came back and asked more questions, yet the guy at the front desk never apologised for cutting off the people he was serving.

Finally it's my turn to check in, after being tired all day I just wanted to go up to my room. The guy at the front desk was sort with me and didn't really help me, he gave me my key and told me to wait for the bus boy to collect my bags.
This once again took ages, and when the guy brought my bags he just dumped them down and walked off...

My friend and I then set off to our room, level 7. When getting in the elevator we noticed they seem to have a mind of their own and always go down to the basement before going back up to the rooms. When we finally get to our floor, we set off to find the room, after walking down one of the longest corridors I have ever seen, and notice the corridor ends and we still can't find our room, (after walking up and back 2 times we realise it is through the emergency exit door in the stairwell. So I try and use my room key and it doesn't work.
I go back down stairs to wait in the longest line of people (where at least now there is 2 people serving...) The lady then tells me I have demagnetised my key, I only just got the key!
So I finally get my new key and tackle the lifts again, I was very glad my key at least worked this time. Settling in the room we notice there is no tea or coffee like most other places.
Not to mention I had booked a room for just one queen bed and been given one with 2 beds (not that that really matters now...)

The cleanliness of the bathroom was ok, it could have been better. There is no point looking out the windows because all I could see was straight into another persons room.
To used the wifi I had to go back downstairs to ask for the password and user name, as I was not told when I checked in.
The wifi was very slow and you need to long in constantly to the web page.

The beds in the rooms would have to be the only positive thing about my experience!

If the streets outside were better I could handle being treated like crap by the stuck up staff, (it seems because I am a young female I get treated like I couldn't afford to stay in the hotel. Or it's not worth talking to me, or treating me with respect.)
Coming from Australia where I worked in a customer service based job, I could not see one thing they did correctly...
I would never recommend this hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: I couldn't possibly give a positive tip about this hotel! Unless you like being treated like dir...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your detailed feedback about your stay. Unfortunately I am not pleased to hear that you had such a difficult time with your check in process. I will make every effort to communicate this to the staff that you intereacted with to better serve our future customers. I do appreaciate your help and hope that yop will contact me personally if you should feel the need to discuss anything.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

American vintage hotel, celler looks spooky. Too bad that in the evening a lot of junkies hang around in the street leading to the city center. Service of front desk extremely slow. Breakfast por, better go to Sam's at the other side of the street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We appreciate all your feedback both positive and negative. This will help usmoving forward to better server our guests.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had a great experience at the hotel whitcomb! The staff was very friendly. It was a good location. Walking distance to the Westfield shopping center and right by a bus stop for farther travel. The room was small and cozy but very comfortable. It is an older hotel so the rooms are not perfect but I think it was worth the price and it was very enjoyable. The shower pressure was lighter than I like but I expect that when traveling so it didn't bother me too much. We ate at the hotel restaurant for lunch one day. It was pricey but really good. There is a Starbucks right in the hotel so that is really convenient too. At night there is security when entering the hotel as well. Overall it was a really great experience and I would like to thank Mr. Ahmed and the staff for all of their hardwork to make our stay great!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very pleased that our staff was so helpful and you had a great overall experience at the hotel and in San Francisco. We do hope that you return again soon and stay with us again.

Neath South wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

A very good hotel centrally located to visit union square which you can walk to.Really enjoyed our time here.Do not be put off at the number of persons trying to make a living nearby they are really ok.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for taking time to post your comments about your stay. We are pleased that you had a great time and enjoyed the convenience of the hotels location to all the great things San Francisco has to offer. We do hope that if you return to this area again you will stay with us!

Thank You.

Laguna Niguel, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Great hotel, incredible style, service great and truly one of the nices archetetures on Market street. The only challenge is the location not the best part of the city but there is ample security, parking, etc.

Only update to the room that I would recommend is t add addtional power. A power strip at the desk or lamps that you can plug into would work fine without taking away from its historical ambiance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for taking time to share your thoughts about your stay. We appreciate the valuable feedback from you and all our guests. We will be taking your suggestions into mind and try to make the overall experience better.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Whitcomb? Share your experiences!