“A reasonable place to stay in SF” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Whitcomb
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1231 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (SoMa)   |
Ranked #149 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
New York City, New York
“A reasonable place to stay in SF”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you are looking for a decent place to crash in San Francisco without breaking the bank, this is a good choice. It is a stately old building, with beautiful architecture. The rooms are not the most modernly appointed, so if you are looking for the lap of luxury, this may not be the best place for you. If you are looking for a place that is situated near public transportation, and is reasonably priced, than this is a great hotel. Some people have complained about the neighborhood, but honestly, having grown up in NY, "the tenderloin" is a cake walk. If you mind your business, and follow some basic rules for self protection (dont flash money/electronics around, dont gawk like a tourist, secure your purse/wallet, etc) you'll be fine. The hotel is within walking distance of some great restaurants/hotels, and is right across the street from the BART station, so getting to/from the airport is a breeze. I enjoyed my stay there and will definitely consider it when traveling to San Francisco in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Woodbury, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our family of 4 gave it an average of 3.5 stars. Great old hotel build in 1916. Staff could not find our Expedia reservation at first but got it about 10 min later. Upgraded us to a larger street facing room at no charge (normally $50/day more). Yes the area and hotel has seen better days but recent upgrades helped. It was fun seeing a grand historical hotel from 1916. Did not spend much time at the hotel. City Hall and Asia Museum was across the street. Location was great for catching the bus around town and the subway nearby too. Hotel is connected to a Starbucks. Security was very good as there was alot of homeless near by. But had no problems. Nothing to see around there at night. Kids saw many sides of San Francisco. I would stay there again if I wanted the same location. Next time, we would probably look to around part of San Francisco to explore.

SOMA parking ($10/24 hours) located 1.5 blocks away (v.s. $35 what hotel and everyone charges). Located only 5 city blocks from Hwy 101 and 20 drive to the airport. But next time I may return the car and take the subway to the airport, simpler and cheaper.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was older, cool architecture, and clean. But the moment we walked out the front door in broad daylight we knew it wasn't the hotel for us. The hotel is in a very rough part of town. What locals call "the tenderloin" which is known for assault and several homocides a year. There was drug use and people being chased right down the street. We walked to union square - turned around - and found a different hotel. The location is unsettling. But if you are on a budget - the hotel itself is nice (just don't go outside after dark).

• Stayed March 2013
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here four nights and was pretty impressed overall. The location was so perfect; the BART, Muni and bus stops were all right in front of the hotel and it was already centrally located in the city. The price was also very good for SF. The rooms were clean and comfortable, albeit a bit small. However, the BEST aspect was the customer service here! All of the staff smiled and helped us with everything we needed; things for the room, directions, information on things to do, restaurants, etc. The big surprise came on Saturday night when I arrived back at the hotel. That night my boyfriend proposed to me as a surprise. When we came back to the room that night there was a package of balloons, a rose in a swan vase, an awesome piece of chocolate cake, and a cute little cable car replica. This was just a perfect ending to an already great night! My fiancee said that they would add these items to our bill...but they did it all for free as a courtesy to us! We were just so pleased with our stay and will definitely be back here when we return to SF.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently sated in this hotel for 3 nights at a bargain price in that area. More like a 2-star hotel and not higher. Clean rooms and lobby but everything is small in size. Could not get the front desk to send me a coffee maker inspite of trying twice. Starbucks is located inside the hotel so n the end did not fight about it. The reception staff was very corteous. The BART train system connecting to airport (SFO) is only a block away (civic center station) and costs $8.25 one way to airport.
Cons - the street outside has a lot of homeless people loitering around, nothing that made me feel unsafe but just uncomfortable. Left a half filled glass of water on table and that was not changed for 3 days I was there. And they charge you $45 per day for parking (based on what a colleague paid).
All in all a nice last minute price for the room even though I know if I had booked in advance I could have got a better place for just a bit more - note to myself fr future!!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

There are ice machines in the corridors making a loud noise all night long, if you are also close to the elevators with their constant 80's "BEEP BEEP" on every floor, this is even worse. Same with the 10+ years old calefactor in the rooms, better to turn it off at night. There are "emergency like" bright lights next to the power plugs that you have to cover with something before going to sleep, or your room will look like a club. Same with the telephone, it flashes a red light like if it were an airplane. Carpets are not so clean too, and in general the hotel looks very, very old...

Room Tip: Keep away from the elevators and ice/vending machines
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed five nights at the hotel Whitcomb in March for a convention at the Moscone Center. This historic property lives up to it's roots with architectural details and charm. The location is perfect and you can't beat the price compared to other downtown locations.

The positives were certainly the location and price. The room was clean but very small. It warned upon booking I was staying in a "petite" room, which I was okay with. I was actually expecting smaller, but was pleasantly surprised. The room I stayed in had a full size bed, two night stands, a small desk and a TV stand as well as a small bathroom. Everything you need when you won't be in the room much. The location is amazing. You are right on the public transit line to take the trolley to Pier 39 or Fisherman's Wharf. The hotel was clean and the staff was pleasant.

On the negative side, and I don't see these as too big of negatives, but this is for your guests expecting luxury accommodations on a budget, this may not be the place for you. First, there are very few wall outlets as this is an old building. I had one extra outlet in the room and one in the bathroom. I had to alternate between charging my laptop and my phone.

Two, there is no central heating/cooling. There is a window unit that heats and cools the room comfortably. With that said, it also generates a lot of noise. Which was fine for me because it blocked out a lot of the street noise. Keep in mind, historic means old, and there is not a lot of insulation so you will hear street noise. Also, great downtown location with easy access to the public transit also means more street noise. I didn't have any issues, but I am a heavy sleeper.

Three, no amenities. I was fine with this, but I am setting expectations. There is no room service, pool, gym, coffee maker, safe, etc. The restaurant in the hotel was also only open for dining on the weekends. During the week you could sit at the bar and order drinks and appetizers, that's it. Not a problem for me as I was working and the little free time I had I went to Pier 39 to eat. Just setting proper expectations.

If you want to stay in a very cool, historic and charming hotel in a great location for 1/3 the cost of most mid to upscale chain hotels, this place is great. Just understand what you are buying. I greatly enjoyed my stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Whitcomb? Share your experiences!