“Good for access and ambience, not so good for everything else” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Whitcomb
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1231 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94103   |
Ranked #146 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
San Diego, California
“Good for access and ambience, not so good for everything else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I understand that there's only so much a hotel can do to control it's surroundings when it's literally in the middle of a big city like San Francisco. So I'm putting aside the fact that the surroundings are pretty unattractive and that homeless people seem to guard the doors.
We liked that this hotel used to be City Hall while the original was being renovated back in the early 1900s. It's certainly very beautiful on the inside, with a very old-school eloquence. We also liked that access to the BART system was literally just a few feet outside the front doors, which made getting around so much easier and more pleasurable. We also liked that a 24-hour subway was nearby (very few late night options here), and a Starbucks was in the lobby.
The staff were courteous and we appreciated that they held one of our traveler's bags after check-out for him to pick up, since he had been somewhere else that morning. The amenities in the rooms were less than stellar, with acceptable beds, but poor windows and bathroom fixtures, lots of ugly exposed piping and wiring, and false fire alarms happening at least once each night we were there (we were there three nights).
However, it was cheap. We got it as a semi-last-minute deal for just under $100/night for 2 queen beds. So we can't expect too much for such prime location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Walnut Creek, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had a great experience at the Hotel Whitcomb this past weekend. From the first moment I entered the lobby I was greeted by a smiling face. All of the staff had amazing attitudes and seemed very motivated to make sure my stay was top-notch. Larry, the doorman was very knowledgable about the history of the venue. I recommend the Hotel Whitcomb for anyone seeking an affordable stay at a historic San Francisco landmark.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Rapid City, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This weekend was at least my fifth stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. I've been coming here for the past three years and have never been disappointed in the staff from the front desk, restaurant, parking, management or housekeeping. I have stayed in larger and smaller rooms and have enjoyed a comfortable sleep in every room. The lobby is old world charm and has been impeccably maintained throughout the years. The rooms have large flat screen tvs and the bathrooms have been updated with gooseneck showerheads so you do not have to hunch to get your hair wet. The closets are roomy with plenty of hangers (most you can change in!) for the frequent travelers and the onsite restaurants should considered by non-guests as well as guests. I like coming back each time and being greeted by the same staff and appreciate the security in the evenings checking room keys. Transportation is a breeze with BART and muni underground on the corner and Starbucks in the hotel. Will stay again when I return in May and in the fall. Thanks to the staff for making this trip welcoming and comfortable.

Room Tip: Haven't had to had request any special rooms, have always been satisfied with all the different...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Montefollonico, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

A historic hotel with a pretty entrance and front desk. The rooms are squarish and small. What we missed were the wardrobes. There were none. But it had Starbucks at the entrance so the coffee was readily available. The subway is next to the hotel as much as the tram with which you could go to downtown easily. When we were there we could also visit the organic market of San Francisco. The price was attractive too.

Room Tip: The hotel is not in down town SF but we walked most of the times. It took us around 20 minutes
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Seaside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time staying at the hotel and it was a great experience. Once I walked in the front desk agent was busy so one of the manager Kazi pulled me aside and checked me in with a great attitude, made me feel welcome and accommodated. He showed me where go park and placed me and my guest in a memorial room that I will definitely stay in again.

• Stayed March 2013
Ithaca, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I spent about 3 weeks here in February, booking at the last minute. I had a "superior" room, which is a bit larger. The rooms are not as large as "modern" hotel rooms such as the Hyatt (at more than twice the price), but I needed a place to sleep, shower, have a snack, etc., not a lounge.

Downsides: location is "pre-gentrified", I didn't consider walking more than a block or so in the area at night on the darker side-streets. Maid service was sometimes spotty, with no washcloths replaced one day, no ice bucket liner the next. Guests would sometimes think talking in the hall on their cellphones after midnight was a good idea - the doors are not super-soundproof, but "please get out of the hall" worked fine.

Upsides: who cares about location, when you're 100 feet from the BART and MUNI and buses? Maids were helpful and management very responsive to any problems we encountered. Starbucks is in the hotel, which made on-the-run breakfast simple. The Market Street Grill at the hotel is surprisingly good and not overpriced! They had a new chef, and we had dinner there three times: overall fair to excellent. Breakfast was also quite good. If you're on a budget, Sam's Diner across the street has fine fare.

Value: my company's travel agent lists this as an approved hotel, at $488 a night. I could get it for less than a fourth of that on Expedia, though I expect prices vary with the seasons. Talking direct to the hotel, even less.

Room Tip: Ask for a "superior" room if they don't offer. Rooms can be small, but are fine for wh...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I've been to San Francisco way over 25 times and always like to check out different hotels and b&b's. I've seen this hotel many times and I recieved a great deal on a room.

Check in was fantastic and smooth,
My room is very nice, best night sleep I've had in a long time from a hotel or b&b.

I only have two issues with my room (239)

One: the water pressure was rather on the weak side.
Two: my major issue was the "free wifi" ...the Id for the wifi is wandering and it lives up to that name. The signal would wander in and out of the room. It's virtually impossible to get a stable signal (forget a strong or weak signal) .... If you do stay here and want to use their wifi I found the perfect sweetspot.

Cross the street and stand outside Burger King; facing the hotel... I have one stable signal!! Worked like a charm everytime.

Would I stay here again... YES, of course!

Would I recommend any one else to stay: YES!! This is a very nice hotel to stay in regardless of these minor issues which I'm hoping they'll fix in time of my next booking in 6 weeks time!!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Hotel Whitcomb? Share your experiences!