“Good choice if you get a deep discount” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   545 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)   |
Ranked #92 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, DC
“Good choice if you get a deep discount”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

I won the Prescott Hotel on a Priceline bid of $85/night for a 3-night weekend stay in mid-November. I was a bit concerned about previous TA reviews citing musty-smelling rooms, dirty carpets, old bathrooms, noise, non-functioning wi-fi, etc. Fortunately, I didn't experience any of these problems during my 3 nights there, and overall I was happy with my stay, esp. considering the discounted price I paid.

My late night check-in was quick and painless. I was given a room on the 6th floor. It faced the elevators, but noise from the hallway was never an issue. The room's only view was of an internal airshaft and other rooms, but the upside to this was that it was quiet. A street-facing room would have been much noisier. The only noise I ever got was an occasional creaky floorboard, as you would expect in an older building; this never bothered me. The room itself was compact but well laid out and well decorated, in a sort of Ralph Lauren brown paisley theme. I think two people with two large suitcases would have felt quite cramped in the room. Since I was staying by myself, I rather liked the room's snug and cozy proportions. Thankfully, there was no evidence of the musty smell that other reviewers had referred to. Also, the carpet was perfectly clean and the free wi-fi worked great throughout my 3-day stay.

The bathroom was very spacious, and must have been recently renovated, as the tile, grout, wallpaper and shower curtain were all pristine. Everything was gleaming and spic and span. Water temperature and pressure were perfect, and the bathrobes and the L'Occitane toiletries were nice touches.

The "living room" in the lobby is well decorated and a great space in which to relax with a cup of coffee and a newspaper. Complimentary coffee and tea are served 6-10 AM every day. It's too bad this service isn't available all day long, as is the case with some other Union Square hotels. The range of complimentary newspapers, including the NYTimes and the Wall Street Journal, was much appreciated.

I never tried breakfast in the Postrio restaurant off the lobby; it offers a very limited menu and is seriously overpriced. Instead, every morning I took my free cup of coffee and headed off to the unpretentious, casual and welcoming Honey Honey cafe just 1/2 a block away, at the corner of Post and Taylor.

I didn't need any special services while staying at the Prescott, so only had superficial contact with the staff. I would say they ranged from gracious and efficient to just passable. The housekeeping staff was lovely and did an outstanding job cleaning my room. Some of the front desk staff seemed more interested in gossiping and joking among themselves than in helping guests. One morning, I (very politely) let the young woman at the concierge desk know that the coffee carafe was empty, and she said not one word to me the whole time she replaced it. No "good morning", no "you're welcome" when I thanked her; not a word. A few minutes later, I saw her give another guest the silent treatment, so it seems she wasn't allergic just to me. Quite a weird, off-putting experience more befitting of a hostel or budget hotel than one that bills itself as a luxury boutique hotel.

I was able to shrug off the service lapses by reminding myself about my great Priceline deal. I'd definitely stay at the Prescott again for less than $100/night. But, for that weekend, the best rate available from the Prescott's own web site was $194/night - if I were paying that rate, I would find another hotel with better service standards and larger rooms.

• Liked — Clean, spacious bathroom with nice amenities; bargain Priceline rate
  • Disliked — Uneven service standards
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

Booked a last-minute four-star hotel on Priceline less than 24 hours before check-in and got the Prescott for 100 bucks for one night. Our room was located on the mezzanine and was bigger than any apartment I lived in during college -- hall, living room with dining table, separate bedroom, closets, long master bath. Prescott staff is wonderful and the hotel is well-appointed, as would be expected. Decor is elegant/modern. The hotel is located next to Postrio and just two blocks walk down Post Street to the top of Union Square. It's an ideal location with lovely rooms. Like most remodeled hotels, my only complaint is the bathrooms -- hotels never seem willing to spring for modern updates to their bathtubs and tilework -- and this room was no exception. But I highly recommend this place -- it definitely exceeded my expectations and a bargain price made the deal that much sweeter. If driving, parking prices are steep. You pay for convenience. Valet is $45 per night, and the public garage next door to the hotel is $34 per night with no valet -- not a big difference. The garage on O'Farrell is $28 per night but a longer walk.

• Liked — price, decor, comfort
  • Disliked — trouble with internet connection
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
GeneralManager545, General Manager at Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2008
Dear Vinovixen,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experiences from your recent visit. We were pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations. We appreciate all the feedback mentioned. And indeed as a historic landmark building all the sizes of the rooms are a bit different. We look forward to welcoming you back and creating more positive memories of your time spent in this beautiful city.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for three nights in September. Location wise the hotel is good, as it is a block away from Union Square.

However, the hotel is very small and very English/French build. The reception is small and so are the rooms. Hardly any space to move around.

The hotel staff is ok and not over excited to help you to their full capacity, we got the feeling. We wanted a shirt to be dry cleaned by the the hotel and they told us to go to the dry cleaner's around the corner instead of organising it them selves.

We didn't opt for breakfast, but did make use of the gym. This was ok, but not too much variety in machines. The internet facilities were good though.

In the end we felt that we didn't get the standard of service for the price we paid.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price and service
Dear JJB77,

Thank you for staying with us. I am disappointed that you did not have a positive experience interacting with the staff similar to what other reviewers have shared. We definitely do have a European style; French/ English and even a touch of Dutch canal house.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

We stayed at the Prescott hotel for the first three nights of our californian road trip and we were absolutely satisfied, the room was very nice and clean, although it smelled a bit old , but once you`ve opened the window that was gone.The restaurant was a bit overpriced and the portions were nothing special either but the amazing location of the hotel gives you plenty of other options to have breakfast or dine, we recommend the Mason Cafe just down the road from hertz (around the corner from the hotel) its about 5 min walk and with their fab organic food its a great way to get through your day :)We enjoyed our stay and will be happy to come back again or reommend this place to any of our friends :) It was our first time in the states and we felt welcome and taken care of, the staff in the hotel was very nice and helpful as well, although the charges for the internet in the hall were really high, but as we later found out it is the same in every hotel.There was a free wifi connection but we did not have our laptop with us.

Overall: Will be back :)

• Liked — The location and the room was great as well
  • Disliked — internet and restaurant charges
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

We're just about to leave this cute and friendly hotel after a 7 night stay. It was been a place we have looked forward to coming home to after a day out. The girls at the front desk as been so kind and helpful to us.
When we arrived we were upgrated to the club level, a nice treat. The rooms are nice, but I guess some find them small because the beds are so big. We got a two queens room, and the beds take up a lot of the room, but it's no big problem.
The maids did a great room in our room, and never came in when we had the sign on. Got plenty of toiletries as well. Everyone at the hotel is very friendly and always say hello.
The Concierge was helpfull with dinner reservations, calling cabs, printing out our boarding passes and even posting our postcards.

The coctail hour was a good to. A glas of Champange for mom when the little one goes to bed.

The location is great, just a short walk of Union Square and all the buzz there.

We would stay here again for sure, if we got the same good price, about 140 dollars a night. I wouldn't spend more than that on any hotel though.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear MammaontheRoad,

Thank you for the kind review. We are especially pleased by your review considering after staying 7 days we were able to consistently deliver friendly service and meet your expectations. You and your family must have had a positive impact on our staff. WE hope you will visit San Francisco again soon.
luvZsouthPacific
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

I booked the Prescott hotel for $100/night ($124 after taxes and priceline booking fee) on priceline.com. This is definetely not a 4 star hotel but a 3 star boutique hotel. Since I only paid $124 night, I don't have a lot of complains. However, if I paid $200 - $250/night, I would be pretty upset as some other guests. The club level happy hour is not worth the $50 upgrade fee. The hotel advised Wolfgang Puck appetizers. I did not see any Wolfgang Puck apptizers other than a block of cheese, a bunch of grapes and a loaf of bread!

• Liked — small, boutique feel
  • Disliked — lobby is too small and unattractive
pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

We have stayed at the Prescott a few times in the last several years and this time several flaws really stood out to me. I could see that it is in need of some upkeep in the maintainence of the building and rooms, and to some of the advertised amenities.
We always stay on the club level which gives a complimentary breakfast , afternoon drinks and as adverised "hors d'ouerves from Postrio" which is the Wolfgang Puck restaurant that adjoins the hotel. In the times I have stayed, this only amounts to cheese and crackers and pizza. Not sure where the other hors d'ouerves from Postrio that they talk about on their website or in the brochure on the lobby table are, but pizza , and a very scarce amount, is all that is to be had. The problem is the lounge area being staffed with one waiter to handle upwards of thirty or more guests. He must make drinks, replenish the cheese tray ( which never gets replenished because he's so busy), clean glasses and plates and also heat and serve a tiny 8 inch pizza every fifteen minutes or so. The pizza is so slow to come out and so small, that it only serves eight people a very tiny portion. It never makes it to most of the people in the room. It's a frustrating tease as you see it come out and then it's gone in thirty seconds and you have to wait another fifteen minutes. Plus all of this is too much for one person to handle. Why a few of the people hanging out at the front desk can't come up and lend a hand is beyond me. Also regarding the pizzas they should make several and have them on trays instead of this trickling out every fifteen minutes. Breakfast is the same way. One person to keep everything filled and stocked. They ran out of bowls one day and there were none left. The waiter was unable to supply any clean ones so even though the cereal was plentiful, there was no way to enjoy it. Then they ran out of plates. Again, none left. That was that. No attempt to even get any more.These advertised conceirge level amenities should be handled much more efficiently and staffed appropriately. Guests pay for this upgrade and expect what is advertised. A bowl for cereal, a plate for a muffin and a hot appetizer or two is not too much to ask when you pay the upgraded fee for these amenities.
The rooms are small and the bathrooms smaller although luxury amenities ( l'occitane toiletries, frette linens, down comforters, plush robes and towels) make up for it. This last visit I noticed worn carpeting, peeling wallpaper, damaged marred wood trim in the two rooms occupied by our party and in the hallways and common areas. The bedside light was broken and the phone seemed to work intermittently. Wireless connection for the hotel was also out and the two lobby computers where not working.The small room tv's in the big armoires are out dated too. Most modern hotels have upgraded to a larger screen plasmas. Housekeeping was not diligent either. Toilettries were not replaced and they actually entered the room while the privacy sign was on the door and we were bathing and napping at 4PM to do turndown service. The front desk told us that check in time is when they do the turn down service. They came the next day at this same time. Beware that the privacy sign will not deter them from opening they door and coming in.
This is a fairly pricey hotel for the size of the rooms and bathrooms and it seems to me that they have taken for granted the loyal repeat customers by not keeping things updated and improved. I have to say that in light of this last visit I may look into another hotel for future San Francisco stays.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Worn out rooms.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)