“Amazing Service, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   545 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)   |
Ranked #90 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Monica, California
“Amazing Service, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was living in the hotel while I was in SF for business and found the experience very pleasant. The king sized rooms are comfortable and upgraded. The Club level has a wine/cheese happy hour and complimentary teas in the morning.

the breakfast buffet was filling and fresh

It is in a perfect location off of Union Square with easy access to almost all sites on foot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager545, General Manager at Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hi KLTravel20,

Thanks for calling us home while you conducted business in San Francisco. We appreciate that you felt so highly of our staff. Please come back and perhaps next time for pleasure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Always presently surprised at Kimpton Properties! The location of Prescott was fantastic for our urban fix. Great theater & restrraunts plus the Blues & Bisquit Club was around the corner. We caught the early show of Johnny Rawls. The club staff did not turn over completely for the late show so they allowed us to stay for the second show! To top it off Resteraunt prefix many places. Great time in SFO

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Finless,

Thank you for the kind remarks. We are thrilled to have exceeded your expectations. Please visit us again when the need for an urban fix kicks in again!

Temecula, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Another hit from Kimpton! The front desk staff is wonderful here. Above and beyond. The hotel is a bit old but so are most in San Francisco. I stayed in the Club Level in a suite and you had to take two elevators to get there which would confuse some people I guess. While Kimpton always has a wine happy hour from 5-6 in the lobby for all guests, this one had a club level happy hour with a cocktail bar and appetizers. Really nice touch.
Here is where I feel they can approve this hotel or where people might give them a hard time (note that I had a great experience and would stay here again):
- a little tricky to get to the club level, ride main elevator to the fourth floor, get out and walk through passageway to other elevators then up to your floor
-everything is a little run down looking but not enough to be gross or tacky
-there are no ice machines and to get ice you must call and request it brought up to you. For someone like me who drinks Diet Coke constantly in my room, this just makes you feel bad for the front desk. I don't get why hotels do this.
-the entranceway doors are automatic but late and uneven so one hits you in the face if you aren't prepared

Pros:
-rooms are clean and the suite was spacious
-only time in a long time I came back from my day and my room had been serviced without me asking for it HUGE PLUS
-front desk staff is so nice and tried so hard (even if some of their requests on my behalf to housekeeping went ignored)
-great happy hour in main lobby and club level, no hotel has perks like this anymore
-as usual, Kimpton members get free $10 in mini bar and free internet, again, no one does this but Kimpton
-check in and check out a breeze
-cocktail bar was wonderful with fun bartenders
-location amazing as it is just a few blocks to Union Square but far enough to not be chaotic

Overall it was a great experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager545, General Manager at Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hi Scubashark0822,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide valueable comments. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit. We also are evaluating areas where we can improve and provide greater guest comfort. Regarding some of the feedback you provided, unfortunately we cannot change the location of club rooms, and additional ice machines on the floor- mostly a space issue. But we are scheduling more tangible improvements such as replacing carpet, chairs, club room drapes, etc. Thanks again for staying with us.

Regards,
Cave Creek, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at the Prescott for 3 days on a business trip in January. The hotel itself is very cute and botique-y as most Kimptons are. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. As most older hotels go the layout is a bit unusual with some of the rooms being quite large and others tiny. There are a lot of stairs in this hotel and the layout is a bit of a labrynth.

My room was on the second floor facing the street. There was quite a bit of traffic noise all through the night and the garbage trucks came by every day (think back up beepers) at around 2-3 AM. I also had the fire escape right outside my window. No matter how high I turned up the thermostat in my room, it never got above 65 degrees, and there was a constant draft from the windows (yes they were closed and locked). Also the shower drained so slowly that I would be standing in ankle deep water by the end of my shower. However, the water pressure was great!

There is a nightly wine reception which was very nice and all of the meals we had for our meeting there (breakfasts and lunches) were wonderful, fresh and tasty.

So overall I liked the hotel but the noise and draftiness may prevent me from staying there again.

Hello PatnJenCaveCreek_AZ,

Thank you for your review. We apologize that despite your favorable interactions with staff and other experiences that there was a draft. I wil bring this feedback to our Chif Engineer to investigate. Thank you for visiting us.

Respectfully,
Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

It was my first time to San Francisco, and I was ringing in the new year with an old friend. We looked for a hotel last minute so we could make New Year's Eve plans downtown, and we were able to secure a room at the Prescott. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the hotel is in a great location, very close to a lot of shopping and restaurants. Quick walk to BART too, so we weren't schlepping our luggage for very long. The hotel is somewhat close to the Tenderloin (but not in it), so it's just good to know that when walking around at night. I never felt unsafe walking around the hotel area at night, but like any big city, you just need to be aware of your surroundings and where the demarcation lines are on nice vs. nasty. Room was small-ish, but from what I've heard, on par with other hotels in the city. Nice to have the iPhone charging station on the nightstand, and we got to "raid" the mini bar, which came in very helpful after our crazy New Year's Eve night. :) All in all, what I'd expect from a Kimpton Hotel experience. Recommended.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that faces Post, otherwise, you will be facing an alley and won't g...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Dana T,

We appreciate you spending your New Year's at the hotel and glad to hear the Mini bar came in handy :) Thanks for your comments. We hope to see you again.

Cheers,
The Sea Ranch, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed for one night at this property. We selected it because it was right downtown and because it was pet friendly. We have a larger dog and many hotels put a weight restriction on the size of dog. I appreciate that the Kimpton family of hotels are pet friendly. There is a patch of grass at Union Square (1.5 blocks away) if you pet needs quick relief, or a larger park several blocks away up a hill.

Check in was a breeze. We pulled right up and were greeted by the valet. We made our way into the hotel and I was greeted by name. Its little touches like that get your stay off to a good start. Our room was on the second floor and was a good size. This is an older hotel but has been maintained/remodeled so it feels very luxurious, but still has character.

Wi-fi is free is you are a Kimpton In-Touch member, plus you get a little credit on the mini bar. You can sign up for free online before you make your reservation. There is an evening wine hour social. We came back just at the tail end. There were quite a few people in attendance and having fun chatting up with each other.

The highlight of this property is the people. Everyone I interacted with (reservations, concierge, housekeeping) was friendly and helpful. I would certainly stay at this property again and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager545, General Manager at Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Hello CaliforniaSophia,

Thank you for the kind comments in your review. We are so appreciative that you had memorable interactions with the staff and experienced a comfortable visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards,
Portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

An Awful Hotel. Front desk clerk was young, rude and abrasive. Guest services is more like military style with no helpfulness at all which was just what I was looking for after an 18 hour trip. They have a “my way or the highway attitude”. I checked in early afternoon. The rooms are extremely tiny, old and need updating. Heat was not great. You have to pay for wi-fi and the signal was low and off and on. If you have to do business work , you are out of luck. The hotel could use updating big time. There was a slight smell of must and odor not exactly what you expect from a 4 star hotel. It was not at all pleasant. The staff tries to make things as inconvenient and difficult as possible. Also there was a problem with accepting my credit card for incidentals. Apparently they ran the card wrong. Go somewhere else. Anywhere else besides here, unless you are a criminal bent on criminal treatment from the staff. I have been to several other Kimpton hotels and the chain is well known for being posh. I don’t know what the **** happened to this one. This is like the super low ball hotel of the Kimpton chain. It has extremely old carpet and old wall paper, chipping and badly done paint with marks from use or something on it. It is an old run down vintage hotel that should go for a much lower rate than it does. You can definitely get a nicer hotel somewhere else for what you would pay here.
Even though it is a nice area, the two other boutique hotels right next door with bars have serious attitudes going on from hotel and bar staff. Stay here if you are looking for misery.

Room Tip: The two other boutique hotels with bars around the corner have serious attitude going on and so does...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager545, General Manager at Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear PenelopePortland,

We are so dissappointed to read that you had such an unfavorable impression of the hotel. We apologize that you did not experience great care and comfort from the staff which is what we strive for daily as commented on by so many reviewers. The staff has already reviewed some of the comments you passed along during your stay and I will be sure to share your feedback here with the staff as well.

Respectfully,

Been to Prescott Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!