“とても親切かつ丁寧なサービス” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #165 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
Japan
“とても親切かつ丁寧なサービス”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Location is very good, this Hotel was perfect for sightseeing.
In addition, more than anything, support the hotel man had very good.
I have left my mobile phone in a taxi that took the time to head to the hotel from the airport. When I tell the hotel man about it, he told me to contact the taxi company quickly. And, I continue to look for a mobile phone the next day the next day to not give up, he has me find a mobile phone to stay at last the final day. I am very grateful.
In addition, I had booked a room in the rank at the bottom, but because at the time of check-in, there was a vacancy in the room with high rank, and did a rank up at the same rate. In addition, when the pick-up of optional tours for us to participate was delayed than expected, it gave me contact the tour company quickly he. In this way, the corresponding hotel Man of this hotel was very good.
I think when I visit San Francisco next, I would like to stay in hotel always.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
spu74- Thank you for your review. We are relieved to hear that our team was able to help you locate your cell phone. It makes us very happy to hear that you have selected us as your preferred hotel when returning to San Francisco again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I was concerned with some of the reviews about the Powell so my expectations were not high and the price I paid was very reasonable. It was easy to get to off the Bart the stop was just steps away making it simple to utilise the public transport to and from the airport. The young man at the front desk gave a fantastic first impression wish I had his name he has been the best front desk person we have encountered. The room was fine we only slept there and stayed two nights. It is old but was clean and comfortable enough for our needs

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
shp1- Thank you for the comments about the excellent service and an unbeatable location! We are so proud of our team and pride ourselves on having the friendliest staff in San Francisco! We are in the perfect location for those guests commuting to and from the airport via the BART station. Thanks for the review, and we hope to see you again soon!
Duluth, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I must start by saying the service at the front desk was phenomenal. Everyone was very helpful for anything we needed. The room was a disaster. This hotel has not been updated for probably 30 years. 1970's carpeting, etc. My King size room was very cramped, small closets, really dirty, broken window, filthy window ( could hardly see out), TV has poor reception, the blinds on the window actually felt gooey. I would not stay here again and I don't recommend it.

Room Tip: I asked the desk clerk to show a different room and it was actually worse with paint peeling off the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
DonnaFromDuluth- Thank you for recognizing our exceptional service efforts during your recent stay. We are very proud of our team's efforts with all of our guests! Our hotel is a charming and historic building located in the heart of San Francisco, and this differentiates us from your average hotel chain. The Powell Hotel definitely has its own unique personality, offering turn-of-the-century design elements and exceptional personalized service! There will be some big improvements happening in the months to come, and hope you will have a chance to experience them on your next trip to San Francisco.
La Mesa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This hotel is a short walk to BART, Buses, F line street cars & Cable Cars (the Powell line starts just outside the hotel's door). There is also a large selection of shopping within walking distance but the city of San Francisco charges 10 cents per bag so make sure to take a tote bag with you. If you will be travelling by car expect a parking fee of $46 - $56 per day (after taxes) which is customary for the area especially considering that the hotel does not operate the parking. The room was very small but that is expected with a hotel of this property's age. The wi-fi service was extremely limited & during our stay there only 1 of our devices was able to connect to the internet. The free breakfast is exactly as they state "limited" & if you don't get there close to the start time the selection is picked over. The selection at Happy Hour is also limited unless you drink beer or red wine. While there are multiple selections of both beer & red wine there is only Chardonnay for a white selection & there are no blush selections.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Chelle715- We are a perfect fit for those travelers visiting without a car since we are located in the heart of San Francisco. Parking rates are expensive in major cities, and there is no exception here unfortunately. We regret to hear if you experienced some connection problems with the WiFi, and will be sure to address internally so that no other guest reports a similar experience. Even though there is a limited selection of wines and breakfast fare, guests appreciate the daily reception available at the hotel. Not too many other hotels offer these kind of perks!
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I love this hotel. Yes, it's a little worn, but, heck, it was built in 1908. For the most part, the rooms are nicely updated. There's no view to speak of, but the location can't be beat. You step out of the lobby door and on to the cable car (or in the back of the long line). It's also steps away from the bus stop and BART. The weekday wine tasting is good; the continental breakfast less so. My friend and I booked through Hotwire's mystery hotel, so we got a good deal. There were no rooms with two beds when we checked in, so we upgraded to the junior suite ... still a good deal and very spacious. Yes, the walls are thin and you can hear street noise, but that's what earplugs are for. The woman at the front desk was extremely helpful. All in all it was a good experience. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
vegasgirl80- You are absolutely right, it's all about location! Stepping out our front door you are seconds away from the BART station, cable car turnaround, and plenty of shopping. Glad you enjoyed our wine happy hour at the hotel... breakfast is very limited at the moment, however there are plenty of other dining establishments nearby where you can get a full selection. It gives us great pleasure to hear that you would return to us again!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

1) staff
The lady on the desk when we checked in was Great, professional, informative & pleasant but the young man working 'with' her was a stuffy grouch. As she was serving us he was asking her about money (counting a float) she excused herself & answered his question so we also humorously commented to him that we could count it if he'd like it done again and all we got was a sniff and he turned his back to us. We could see the lady was uncomfortable as she was about service & didn't feel interrupting her while checking in a guest was appropriate. So some staff are good but if you get sour puss, be forewarned, better yet just don't go there.

2)Noise
The room was small, who cares, you're just going to sleep in it likely right??? But you're dead WRONG, you will NOT sleep here even using earplugs. We chose the 'quiet' side, windows may as well be open, you hear every noise from the rubbies yelling all night, to the traffic, to the cable cars etc, unless you can sleep through a 4 alarm fire it's not going to happen here.

3)Bedding
Even if it was quiet the bedding was beyond horrible, I agree with other posters here, it was dingy & threads but worse than that it felt like sleeping in a paper hospital gown & I itched all night. Others said they were bit, I don't believe that to be my case, it was just disgusting horrible sleep preventing scratchy bedding.

I did not see any cock roaches, or hear vermin in the walls, but the room was very dated, paint peeling, dingy, we did not try to use heat or A/C so I can't comment there. The ceilings were very high & a few cobwebs up there but the rest was tidy, tub & bathroom clean, towels again dingy not the white you expect in a hotel. Internet sucked but I was able to do what I needed.

Location was very good, pick your priorities carefully before booking this hotel, if you are so tired you can't enjoy the location then it is not worth it in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Tammerz M,
We appreciate your candid feedback, and regret if we missed the mark in a couple areas throughout your stay. It is never out intention to discuss financial matters in front of a guest, and will be sure to address this internally so that it does not occur again. Please note that our hotel will be undergoing some significant improvements happening in the near future, and we hope to welcome you back to ultimately regain your confidence in us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Yeah, it's seen better days. It has no A/C. The rooms are tiny and weird.

But, for the location, it was the best hotel for the price I could find. Room was $120, parking was under $50, and they didn't charge for wi-fi. I was disgusted by the number of hotels in San Francisco that charge for wi-fi. Absolutely ridiculous and in principal alone I couldn't bear to stay somewhere I had to pay for it!

Close to shopping and plenty of restaurants. For a night or two, it was fine for me - but I'm admittedly not picky and again, mostly focused on my wallet and the location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
diskogirl- Thank you for acknowledging our central location and great value proposition in San Francisco. We don't believe in charging for WiFi either, and glad you appreciated this amenity throughout your stay. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon!
-The Powell Hotel Team

Been to Powell Hotel? Share your experiences!