“Great Place To Stay If You Won't Have A Car” 3 of 5 stars

Powell Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   28 Cyril Magnin Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #163 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
La Mesa, California
“Great Place To Stay If You Won't Have A Car”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This hotel is a short walk to BART, Buses, F line street cars & Cable Cars (the Powell line starts just outside the hotel's door). There is also a large selection of shopping within walking distance but the city of San Francisco charges 10 cents per bag so make sure to take a tote bag with you. If you will be travelling by car expect a parking fee of $46 - $56 per day (after taxes) which is customary for the area especially considering that the hotel does not operate the parking. The room was very small but that is expected with a hotel of this property's age. The wi-fi service was extremely limited & during our stay there only 1 of our devices was able to connect to the internet. The free breakfast is exactly as they state "limited" & if you don't get there close to the start time the selection is picked over. The selection at Happy Hour is also limited unless you drink beer or red wine. While there are multiple selections of both beer & red wine there is only Chardonnay for a white selection & there are no blush selections.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Chelle715- We are a perfect fit for those travelers visiting without a car since we are located in the heart of San Francisco. Parking rates are expensive in major cities, and there is no exception here unfortunately. We regret to hear if you experienced some connection problems with the WiFi, and will be sure to address internally so that no other guest reports a similar experience. Even though there is a limited selection of wines and breakfast fare, guests appreciate the daily reception available at the hotel. Not too many other hotels offer these kind of perks!
-The Powell Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I love this hotel. Yes, it's a little worn, but, heck, it was built in 1908. For the most part, the rooms are nicely updated. There's no view to speak of, but the location can't be beat. You step out of the lobby door and on to the cable car (or in the back of the long line). It's also steps away from the bus stop and BART. The weekday wine tasting is good; the continental breakfast less so. My friend and I booked through Hotwire's mystery hotel, so we got a good deal. There were no rooms with two beds when we checked in, so we upgraded to the junior suite ... still a good deal and very spacious. Yes, the walls are thin and you can hear street noise, but that's what earplugs are for. The woman at the front desk was extremely helpful. All in all it was a good experience. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
vegasgirl80- You are absolutely right, it's all about location! Stepping out our front door you are seconds away from the BART station, cable car turnaround, and plenty of shopping. Glad you enjoyed our wine happy hour at the hotel... breakfast is very limited at the moment, however there are plenty of other dining establishments nearby where you can get a full selection. It gives us great pleasure to hear that you would return to us again!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

1) staff
The lady on the desk when we checked in was Great, professional, informative & pleasant but the young man working 'with' her was a stuffy grouch. As she was serving us he was asking her about money (counting a float) she excused herself & answered his question so we also humorously commented to him that we could count it if he'd like it done again and all we got was a sniff and he turned his back to us. We could see the lady was uncomfortable as she was about service & didn't feel interrupting her while checking in a guest was appropriate. So some staff are good but if you get sour puss, be forewarned, better yet just don't go there.

2)Noise
The room was small, who cares, you're just going to sleep in it likely right??? But you're dead WRONG, you will NOT sleep here even using earplugs. We chose the 'quiet' side, windows may as well be open, you hear every noise from the rubbies yelling all night, to the traffic, to the cable cars etc, unless you can sleep through a 4 alarm fire it's not going to happen here.

3)Bedding
Even if it was quiet the bedding was beyond horrible, I agree with other posters here, it was dingy & threads but worse than that it felt like sleeping in a paper hospital gown & I itched all night. Others said they were bit, I don't believe that to be my case, it was just disgusting horrible sleep preventing scratchy bedding.

I did not see any cock roaches, or hear vermin in the walls, but the room was very dated, paint peeling, dingy, we did not try to use heat or A/C so I can't comment there. The ceilings were very high & a few cobwebs up there but the rest was tidy, tub & bathroom clean, towels again dingy not the white you expect in a hotel. Internet sucked but I was able to do what I needed.

Location was very good, pick your priorities carefully before booking this hotel, if you are so tired you can't enjoy the location then it is not worth it in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Tammerz M,
We appreciate your candid feedback, and regret if we missed the mark in a couple areas throughout your stay. It is never out intention to discuss financial matters in front of a guest, and will be sure to address this internally so that it does not occur again. Please note that our hotel will be undergoing some significant improvements happening in the near future, and we hope to welcome you back to ultimately regain your confidence in us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Yeah, it's seen better days. It has no A/C. The rooms are tiny and weird.

But, for the location, it was the best hotel for the price I could find. Room was $120, parking was under $50, and they didn't charge for wi-fi. I was disgusted by the number of hotels in San Francisco that charge for wi-fi. Absolutely ridiculous and in principal alone I couldn't bear to stay somewhere I had to pay for it!

Close to shopping and plenty of restaurants. For a night or two, it was fine for me - but I'm admittedly not picky and again, mostly focused on my wallet and the location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
diskogirl- Thank you for acknowledging our central location and great value proposition in San Francisco. We don't believe in charging for WiFi either, and glad you appreciated this amenity throughout your stay. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon!
Santa Clara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed here on business for one night in May 2014. Hotel's location is its best (and arguably only) attribute. It is right downtown near Powell/Market intersection. Valet parking drop off was near a garbage dumpster. (Great first impression) Upon entering the hotel, it appears to have a kind of old 20's-30's charm. I liked that at first. But closer inspection revealed that it was worn down and needs better upkeep. Rooms are small, shabby, with dings on the wall. The room they gave me had 3 twin beds for some strange reason. (I traveled alone). Woodwork and carpeting outside in common areas is better kept and relatively clean. But the rest of hotel is pretty shoddy.

Hotel staff were okay, not especially helpful, but polite. After hours valet guy was super nice, though. Rates are overpriced for what you get, but that's San Francisco for you during tourism season.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear Lawchickesq,
There are many hotels in our area, but we offer turn-of-the-century historic charm, interiors recalling turn-of-the-century architecture, and wonderful personalized service. Our hotel offers premiere access to Union Square in addition to the Powell/Market intersection. There will be some big hotel improvements coming in the near future, and we hope to welcome you back for a better experience!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The only good thing about this hotel is the location right off the cable car turnaround. It's loud, hot, and the employees are surly. The room was so small that the door hit the nightstand every time I opened it. The elevators took forever, internet didn't work, and good luck getting the reception staff to answer you, in phone or in person.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear carorun12,
Thank you for your honest remarks.. Rest assured, your experience is certainly not indicative of the excellent service we strive to provide. You will see from other reviews that our guests praise us for our outgoing and friendly customer service efforts. We strive to provide a great experience to all of our guests and are sorry that we fell short in your case. Your genuine comments about our accommodations are truly valued, and we are going to use this feedback to further fine tune our product. You will be pleased to learn that our hotel changed ownership, and there will be some exciting improvements coming in the near future.
Powell, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This hotel by far is the nastiest hotel I have ever checked into. I was impressed when I walked in because lobby has new furniture and clean surroundings. We went to room and what do we see but cock roach on the ceiling. Opened window and there was a window across from us
that was dirty and tattered as thow it had never been closed. Also the Window
Over tv full of cob webs. The Furniture in room was old and dirty. Linens torn. Room smells like a cat liter box.

I was so tired from driving from Yosemite we just left and got a hotel next door at Parc 55 Wyndam. The next morning I tried to get refund but mgr only offered me 50 percent and was super rude on the phone alleging that I was trying to extort a refund by threatening to give a bad review.

The hotel did cancel my hotwire booking that was for the next day. After I gave review on hotwire that was removed because they disputed its accuracy, the manager emailed me and offered to refund me for the entire amount of my stay if I sent proof of staying at Parc 55 Wyndam. I have email from Booking.com that they will refund money.

In a nutshell this manager at this hotel is clueless and rude. The property is a dirty cockroach filled hotel and you should not stay here.

I stayed in this hotel a few hours, paid for it and had to complain and threaten to get a refund so I think I have a right to place a review with trip advisor.

Read the reviews at many other websites they are true. This is not a 3 star hotel but a 1 star at best.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Powell Hotel? Share your experiences!