“Don't book here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #165 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
“Don't book here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

1) staff
The lady on the desk when we checked in was Great, professional, informative & pleasant but the young man working 'with' her was a stuffy grouch. As she was serving us he was asking her about money (counting a float) she excused herself & answered his question so we also humorously commented to him that we could count it if he'd like it done again and all we got was a sniff and he turned his back to us. We could see the lady was uncomfortable as she was about service & didn't feel interrupting her while checking in a guest was appropriate. So some staff are good but if you get sour puss, be forewarned, better yet just don't go there.

2)Noise
The room was small, who cares, you're just going to sleep in it likely right??? But you're dead WRONG, you will NOT sleep here even using earplugs. We chose the 'quiet' side, windows may as well be open, you hear every noise from the rubbies yelling all night, to the traffic, to the cable cars etc, unless you can sleep through a 4 alarm fire it's not going to happen here.

3)Bedding
Even if it was quiet the bedding was beyond horrible, I agree with other posters here, it was dingy & threads but worse than that it felt like sleeping in a paper hospital gown & I itched all night. Others said they were bit, I don't believe that to be my case, it was just disgusting horrible sleep preventing scratchy bedding.

I did not see any cock roaches, or hear vermin in the walls, but the room was very dated, paint peeling, dingy, we did not try to use heat or A/C so I can't comment there. The ceilings were very high & a few cobwebs up there but the rest was tidy, tub & bathroom clean, towels again dingy not the white you expect in a hotel. Internet sucked but I was able to do what I needed.

Location was very good, pick your priorities carefully before booking this hotel, if you are so tired you can't enjoy the location then it is not worth it in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Tammerz M,
We appreciate your candid feedback, and regret if we missed the mark in a couple areas throughout your stay. It is never out intention to discuss financial matters in front of a guest, and will be sure to address this internally so that it does not occur again. Please note that our hotel will be undergoing some significant improvements happening in the near future, and we hope to welcome you back to ultimately regain your confidence in us.
-The Powell Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Yeah, it's seen better days. It has no A/C. The rooms are tiny and weird.

But, for the location, it was the best hotel for the price I could find. Room was $120, parking was under $50, and they didn't charge for wi-fi. I was disgusted by the number of hotels in San Francisco that charge for wi-fi. Absolutely ridiculous and in principal alone I couldn't bear to stay somewhere I had to pay for it!

Close to shopping and plenty of restaurants. For a night or two, it was fine for me - but I'm admittedly not picky and again, mostly focused on my wallet and the location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
diskogirl- Thank you for acknowledging our central location and great value proposition in San Francisco. We don't believe in charging for WiFi either, and glad you appreciated this amenity throughout your stay. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon!
Santa Clara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed here on business for one night in May 2014. Hotel's location is its best (and arguably only) attribute. It is right downtown near Powell/Market intersection. Valet parking drop off was near a garbage dumpster. (Great first impression) Upon entering the hotel, it appears to have a kind of old 20's-30's charm. I liked that at first. But closer inspection revealed that it was worn down and needs better upkeep. Rooms are small, shabby, with dings on the wall. The room they gave me had 3 twin beds for some strange reason. (I traveled alone). Woodwork and carpeting outside in common areas is better kept and relatively clean. But the rest of hotel is pretty shoddy.

Hotel staff were okay, not especially helpful, but polite. After hours valet guy was super nice, though. Rates are overpriced for what you get, but that's San Francisco for you during tourism season.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear Lawchickesq,
There are many hotels in our area, but we offer turn-of-the-century historic charm, interiors recalling turn-of-the-century architecture, and wonderful personalized service. Our hotel offers premiere access to Union Square in addition to the Powell/Market intersection. There will be some big hotel improvements coming in the near future, and we hope to welcome you back for a better experience!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The only good thing about this hotel is the location right off the cable car turnaround. It's loud, hot, and the employees are surly. The room was so small that the door hit the nightstand every time I opened it. The elevators took forever, internet didn't work, and good luck getting the reception staff to answer you, in phone or in person.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear carorun12,
Thank you for your honest remarks.. Rest assured, your experience is certainly not indicative of the excellent service we strive to provide. You will see from other reviews that our guests praise us for our outgoing and friendly customer service efforts. We strive to provide a great experience to all of our guests and are sorry that we fell short in your case. Your genuine comments about our accommodations are truly valued, and we are going to use this feedback to further fine tune our product. You will be pleased to learn that our hotel changed ownership, and there will be some exciting improvements coming in the near future.
Powell, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This hotel by far is the nastiest hotel I have ever checked into. I was impressed when I walked in because lobby has new furniture and clean surroundings. We went to room and what do we see but cock roach on the ceiling. Opened window and there was a window across from us
that was dirty and tattered as thow it had never been closed. Also the Window
Over tv full of cob webs. The Furniture in room was old and dirty. Linens torn. Room smells like a cat liter box.

I was so tired from driving from Yosemite we just left and got a hotel next door at Parc 55 Wyndam. The next morning I tried to get refund but mgr only offered me 50 percent and was super rude on the phone alleging that I was trying to extort a refund by threatening to give a bad review.

The hotel did cancel my hotwire booking that was for the next day. After I gave review on hotwire that was removed because they disputed its accuracy, the manager emailed me and offered to refund me for the entire amount of my stay if I sent proof of staying at Parc 55 Wyndam. I have email from Booking.com that they will refund money.

In a nutshell this manager at this hotel is clueless and rude. The property is a dirty cockroach filled hotel and you should not stay here.

I stayed in this hotel a few hours, paid for it and had to complain and threaten to get a refund so I think I have a right to place a review with trip advisor.

Read the reviews at many other websites they are true. This is not a 3 star hotel but a 1 star at best.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Lehi, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Unfortunately, I prepaid for the stay through an non-refundable package. After being there 60 minutes, I let them keep my money and booked a room across the street at the Wyndham. It just wasn't worth staying at the Powell.

Issues:
The wifi didn't work. The front desk said it was a problem with my device but my iPad connects to every other network without a problem. He was unwilling to investigate the issue.

The desk was unusable because of it's proximity to the bed and because the chair was too high for the place where it fits in the desk.

The "view" was a view of the neighbor's window and a wall.

The bathroom didn't have a place to hang or store the towels. The towels were hidden in the dresser in the bedroom.

On the bright side, it was in a good location.

Room Tip: Choose a room that doesn't face the nasty brick wall.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Powell Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Hi Travis-- Thank you for sharing your honest feedback on your recent stay with us. After reading your comments, I was alarmed to hear that certain elements of your stay fell below expectations. Although travelers expect to take the good with the bad when staying at an unfamiliar hotel, most of our previous reviews describe just how exceptional our service efforts are at the Powell. Despite the challenges you encountered, we are happy that you enjoyed our central location near Union Square. Please be aware that we are undergoing significant changes at the property in the upcoming year, and would like to welcome you back to experience these improvements. We would like to offer you a special opportunity to experience this turnaround next year, and welcome you to contact our General Manager, by emailing guestservices@powellhotel.com so we may offer a resolution. Thank you.
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was awoken twice during the night by bugs crawling on me, once on my hand and once on my face. The second time, I jumped up in bed, and a cockroach fell into my lap. I whacked it several times and knocked it off the bed. I found it the next morning dying on the bathroom floor. If not for this ruining my night's sleep, I would have rated the hotel a 3/5.

Another issue, though minor in comparison, is the hallway is very noisy, perhaps because of the wooden floors. This would be an important issue for anyone that needs to get to bed early. I had a morning flight and went to bed at 9:30pm only to be woken up several times by chatty people walking down the hallway.

The carpet in my room (#409) was old and stained, and one of the windows had a large crack in it.

It took approximately 20 minutes to check in, although I had not made my reservation directly with the hotel. Be prepared for a long wait if your booking is non-standard.

On the positive side, the hotel has interesting architectural features consistent with its 1908 construction date. Also, the hotel is generous with beer and wine during the early evening happy hour.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Jeff B.,
The Powell Hotel is committed to the health, safety and welfare of our guests. To ensure that we are proactive in our pest control we contract a nationally recognized pest control company which performs scheduled professional inspections and, if necessary, elimination protocols on a regular basis.

It is our mission to make every guest experience an enjoyable one and we regret that your recent stay did not live up to that commitment. Your comfort and satisfaction are very important to us, and we value you as our guest. We will reach out to you privately on TripAdvisor to get more details so that we may address the issue that you experienced.
-The Powell Hotel Team

Been to Powell Hotel? Share your experiences!