While the Tenderloin is sketchy and often depressing, Phoenix Hotel was a good and affordable place to hang out and rest my head during my business trip to San Francisco. The Internet was free and strong. The employees were gracious and helpful. And the room was spacious.
You do hear other guests but that's more a factor of the glass windows facing the courtyward and the general classic outdoor hallway motel design. But it's minimal and I didn't find it distracting.
It was unusual to check in on a Sunday and have a full blown club turn up in the courtyard complete with thumping bass and flowing booze but it just added to the ambiance of the uniqueness of the hotel.
It's not the most kid-friendly place but the pool is a perk and I did see a number of European families at the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Funky, irreverent, and young-at-heart, The Phoenix Hotel caters to touring bands and travelers with a creative spirit. A 44 room mid-century motor lodge with a lush courtyard and heated outdoor pool. It's an oasis in the heart of San Francisco on the edge of the gritty Tenderloin and three blocks from City Hall. Guests get complimentary onsite parking and a poolside coffee, tea and muffins to start the day. Art from local artists decorates the rooms and the courtyard gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phoenix Hotel, a Joie De Vivre Hotel Hotel San Francisco
- Phoenix Hotel San Francisco
- Phoenix San Francisco