“Fantastic central hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic central hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Despite the Tenderloin area, this hotel is amazing. It's central, the rooms are large and have a fridge, the showers are great, parking is free and the pool is lovely and warm. The continental breakfast is coffee and tea and mini muffins. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The rooms have a recycling bin which is really positive, more hotels should have them. We stayed during the week and didn't have to encounter any parties in the courtyard so it was nice and quiet except for some very rude guests that woke us up at 1am screeching and talking loudly in their room til the wee hours but the hotel reception dealt with them. We would definitely stay there again and recommend it to our friends.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix_mgmt, Front Office Manager at Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Jason W,

Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed our little oasis on the edge of the tenderloin. We certainly do our very best to provide a fun, vibrant atmosphere while maintaining tranquility and peace for all our guests, so I am happy to hear that you were able to make the most of your visit with us! Hope to welcome you back when you return to San Francisco.

614 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week last October and have nothing but good things to say about the Phoenix. Location is, as others have mentioned, on the dodgy side if you wander around looking like a gormless tourist. If, however, you put your 'city hat' on - you'll find the location amazing for exploring the city.

The hotel itself is a really charming place with an 'LA in the 90's vibe' that was exactly what my girlfriend and I were looking for. The staff were really friendly and gave us some great advice on how to get around, good places to eat etc.

Rooms were small but clean and comfortable. We were really lucky with the weather during our stay so the courtyard with pool were lovely in the mornings. Attached bar was the right side of boisterous but the staff were excellent at sticking to the curfew and it didn't affect the comfort of our stay at all.

Highly recommended!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Rob C,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay with us! We know the neighborhood can appear sketchy at times, but we truly agree that our proximity to some of San Francisco's finest landmarks and public transportation makes our location a great launching pad for discovering the city's best attractions: live music, museums, shopping districts, and breathtaking sights. Thanks again for writing and we hope to see you next time your travels take you back to SF!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Although the neighborhood is a little sketchy, the parking lot is awesome and I haven't had a problem any of the times I've stayed here. The staff is super friendly and helpful, they even called my room after I checked in to make sure everything was ok and if I needed anything additional in my room--this never happens, even in hotels double the price! I highly recommend for an affordable, centrally located hotel. And they have a heated pool!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Macegriller,

Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay with us. Our reputation is indeed built on outstanding service, so it makes me happy to hear that you felt right at home with us. We take genuine pride in providing a one-of-a-kind opportunity for our guests to celebrate the joy of life, and hope to welcome you back soon to yet another awesome experience!

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I recently stayed here in January, and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. Luke and Mariah are exceptionally nice people to work with at the desk, and made me feel like a family member returning home! The only downside was that the outside temperature was unusually cold that weekend, and the portable heater supplied by the hotel was not adequate to efficiently warm the room. Fortunately, I had a small heater of my own in the trunk of my car, so I used it to supplement the heating issue. I will definitely be back and look forward to having a fun time at the Phoenix again!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room overlooking the pool if you love a party atmosphere :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear firedog13814,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself, as it is our objective to make our guests feel at home here. I'm sorry to hear of the disappointment with your room temperature and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. You can be assured that we have taken active measures to supplement our antiquated heating system with contemporary solutions so that other guests do not have the same experience. We've installed stationary heaters in rooms where the original room heaters are no longer sufficient, and our space heaters are on hand to provided added warmth. Many times the stationary or in-room heaters can be tricky to operate, and it is our goal to be proactive in communicating this to our guests. With your feedback in mind, we will continue working improve service at our property, and we look forward to welcoming you back to an upgraded experience next time.

Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This weekend was my first experience with the Phoenix hotel, but it certainly won't be the last! Every staff member that I had contact with was exceedingly helpful and went out of their way to be more than accommodating. It has been rare to find such stellar service as we had at the Phoenix. Andrew and Luke were both friendly and went above and beyond ordinary customer service. It was refreshing to be treated so well. I will be back!! .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pam M,

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We certainly take great pride in serving our guests to the absolute best of our abilities, and we're always striving to improve. Thanks for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Chico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've stayed at the Phoenix many times now and have never been disappointed. The Phoenix is a throw-back motel-style property in the heart of the city. The staff is super friendly, the rooms are spacious and clean, and the courtyard/pool area is awesome on a nice day. The rooms all sit back off the street and are well protected from the bustle and noise of the city. If you have a car, there's free parking, which is a huge bonus. Only downside: if you are at all nervous about sketchy neighborhoods you may want to think twice. It's in the Tenderloin and it's hard to avoid all that entails. But my wife and I have stayed here many times and have never encountered a problem. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michael S,

Thanks very much for writing about your experience. It's always a pleasure to provide a welcome and comfortable retreat in our little oasis amidst the hustle and bustle of San Francisco's sometimes gritty downtown neighborhood, which is why loyal guests such as yourself feel at home here. Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My first trip to SF, so I really didn't know much about the city or area. The hotel made up for it - the staff was welcoming, the courtyard lovely, and the room comfortable. The downsides are that it is surrounded by a gritty area, so if you aren't used to it, this might not be a good option. I'm used to nasty parts of downtown Atlanta, so I found the Tenderloin area to be fine as long as I was careful.
The room was pleasantly decorated, but I was freezing cold at night. I was too lazy to ask about that, so I wont blame them. The courtyard/pool area was a fun place just to relax after my day, and eat some take out food from the ethnic restaurants nearby. And yes, bands do stay there - the hotel staff wouldnt tell me who it was though. Anyway, had a fun time and would stay again!

Room Tip: Fun hotel oasis
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!