The hotel we had tried to book was full so the Tripadvisor person recommended the Phoenix Hotel. It's not a 4 star hotel and has a more of a motel feel but it surprised us. We have two boys, 9 and 12 and they swam in the outdoor heated pool several times during our 2 day stay. We had three requirements as a family, pool for kids, free wi-fi and within walking distance of Union Square. We so enjoyed. A heads up that to walk to Union's Square, you will pass some shady characters and lines for soup kitchens. No one bothered us and it did open our eyes and that of our kids as to how really lucky we are. Really lucky. We saw the tree, enjoyed a late lunch in Jack Foleys and then took the 28 bus to Japantown. 99 cents stores are now 1.50 but we had fun. The staff at the Phoenix were awesome. Do ask about the controls for heating the room as we didn't and couldn't switch off during the night. Our mistake for not asking especially when the front desk made a call to ask if everything was okay once we got settled after half hour or so. Definitely will revisit ... we can hear the boys requesting already. More renovations in the works too so experience can only get better. Loved the free continental in the morning. Yogurt and/or cereal would add to the experience. Happy New Year and all the best in 2012 for the Phoenix! We're Irish and the biggest park in Europe is the Phoenix Park (located in Ireland) so we made a connection. Goodness, we have photos and we will try to add later.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Funky, irreverent, and young-at-heart, The Phoenix Hotel caters to touring bands and travelers with a creative spirit. A 44 room mid-century motor lodge with a lush courtyard and heated outdoor pool. It's an oasis in the heart of San Francisco on the edge of the gritty Tenderloin and three blocks from City Hall. Guests get complimentary onsite parking and a poolside coffee, tea and muffins to start the day. Art from local artists decorates the rooms and the courtyard gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phoenix Hotel, a Joie De Vivre Hotel Hotel San Francisco
- Phoenix Hotel San Francisco
- Phoenix San Francisco