“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

I stayed in a classic guest room for 4 nights in April. It has to be the 1 of the best hotel i stayed in.
Pros: Very clean room and toilet, big room, clean stylish design and the softest bed i slept in. Excellent service from the check-in staff, concierge and bell boy. The concierge were exceptionally good. 1 of the concierge ( a blonde-hair lady) even offered to find us dinner on a late Sunday night when i asked if any restaurants in Ferry Building is opened. There are so many instances of the service staff offering more advice than what we asked. It was so different than the hotel in Vegas where i went to after my stay in SF, where i literally have to 'buy'(tips) every assistance from the hotel staff.
The location is also another pro as it is located in the financial district, hence there is no problem with safety. My girlfriend and i could walk safely back to the hotel late at night without constantly looking over our shoulders. There are a few homeless here and there but not as many as the Union Square area. Anyway these homeless people are quite harmless who mind their own business. It is a short 5 minutes walk from the California cable car line which visitors can take to connect to the more popular Powell-Mason cable line which brings visitors to most of the touristy areas. A short 10 mintues stroll to the F line and Embarcadero BART station. It is a short walk to the Ferry Building and Bay area where visitors can find numerous good restaurants to dine and chill at. But my favourite part of the location is that it is only a 10 minute stroll to Colombus Avenue where visitors can find really good, reasonably priced and down-to-earth food!!! Sotto Mare, Stella pastries, Cafe Volare were some of my personal favorites during my 4 day stay. There is also a business centre with computers and printers where guests can use for free.
Cons: Location. I know i listed the location as a pro but as mentioned, the hotel is located in the financial district so it can get pretty 'lonely and quiet' during the weekends with hardly any restaurants/pubs opened. Still very safe, but just kinda lifeless as compared to the Union Square area. Restaurants in Ferry Building closes quite early in the Ferry Building during the weekends so you got to walk to Columbus Ave to find any life and food.

Overall: Very safe, clean, accessible, very helpful and friendly staff, well located to public transport and good food!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Pros: Very nice, clean, comfortable hotel with very courteous staff. The room was very clean and quiet, with comfortable bed, basic credenza with in-room safe, LCD TV, radio/clock/mini 'stereo', desk and ample lighting. The bathroom was always clean, roomy with basic toiletries. The decor was simple, muted in brown & white hues, though we had to get used to the art over the headboard (looked like squiggly signature, graffiti, or a Dr's prescription). We did not try other amenities, spa, gym, room-service, etc..... I believe most rooms are 'corner' rooms (based on design of building), and we had a nice high-floor view of the bay and bridge, through the buildings. The hotel is within walking/convenient distance to the Embarcadero area/waterfront & Ferry Building ... and very quiet, away from all the touristy congested areas like Union Square.

Cons: Location, location ... The hotel is located in the financial district, and as in most major cities with a financial hub, is almost deserted at night after work hours, in its immediate area. Not many stores (even convenience stores like Walgreens) are close by, and getting to public transportation requires a little walking ... or just go taxi. SF however, is not that large and walking is always nice in this city, so not that big a deal. Additionally, the room was a tad small, but still comfortable. Not a big issue. Suggestion: if not getting multiple rooms, avoid a connecting room, as can hear other room's conversations, noises clearly (or just very loud people). If you are going to any of the popular tourist spots, will have to get out of the area by trolley, bus, or walking. Not many restaurants in the area, outside of Elephant & Castle across the street and some fast-food places ... understandably, given the evenings are quiet. The hotel does have its own bar/restaurant ... did not try, but was quiet when we were there.

Summary: Definitely a nice, comfortable hotel in a quiet area at night that we would highly recommend. It is a little distant from tourist areas/traps (a plus in our view, or a minus for some), but we love SF and are so beyond the congested tourist hot-spots and don't mind the walking-to or other modes to get somewhere. Our suggestions: request a high floor with a bay view, and non-connecting room. Again, the location is just ok, but not a big issue at all ... if you are willing to walk a little to public transportation or taxi to places. Very walking-convenient to the Embarcadero waterfront and Ferry Building. Happy SF'ing !

Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

Staff is good, dont get me wrong, they do what is needed, they are just very robotic and too business like about any transaction, from checking in, askiing directions, etc. My BIG issue was with the rooms, I got a studio suite, walked in and had half empty bottles on lotion and shower gel in my newly cleaned room! Cobwebs in the corners of the room werent even noticed or cleaned. No laundry bags at all. When i asked for more amentities, housekeeping went to the wrong room and kept me waiting 30 minutes. The rooms are basically the old Park Hyatt rooms, they didnt remodel much. No "european" flair at this hotel, not sure why its a Le Meridien?? Place was quiet though. Convenient location to business offices and Union Square.
Last thing, I am an SPG Gold member, and this Le Meridien along with the last two SPG hotels I stayed at, never notice i am a gold member, never give me late checkout or a newspaper nor do they check for upgrades. Not sure why they are ignoring us? I can tell you Hyatt rewards are better........

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
boca raton, fl.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

We just returned from a 3 night stay in San Francisco's wonderful hotel. We have traveled the world and have been quite impressed by the level of service and the degree of attention we received from this fine hotel staff. Each and every request was satisfied. It was of great import to have a fitness center and much to my surprise that even though a bit dated and less equpment than some, the very nice thing about this one was the fact that they actually had a service to launder gym clothes. I hate traveling with "ripe" gym clothes. Location was "excellent". Near watrefront, North beach, Union Square (unfortunately my wife got me there 2X) and China town all within easy walking distance. We had a studio suite and it met our needs quite nicely...

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

what a great hotel lovely room lovely service but something funny is happening in the cashier area our amx was charged few times were due to get credit for one night we ended up charged twice so just watch them. and make sure to us amx as if you use visa you know you are out of luck getting your money back.
but i must say the rooms were great the bedding top lux and food was classy so yes i will come back with my money order only smiling

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

As a Gold Starwood member I selected this hotel for a recent business trip to San Francisco expecting to find a home from home. Instead in contrast to other reviewers I was very disappointed; My status was ignored (happening all too frequently) and I was assigned a king room on the lower floors which was very noisy and was only moved to a higher floor twin after complaining- the room itself was clean and functional. The front desk staff appeared bored and disinterested and the lobby and public area was charmless. As a business hotel it fell far short- an urgent fax was not delivered and I had to call many times until I was told that the printer had run out of ink! As I had just come off a flight from the East Coast I was starving but when I tried to get a meal from room service after 10.30pm I was told that only very light meals from a kitchenette such as sandwiches and pizzas were available. No comparison to other excellent business hotels such as the Four Seasons and The Mandarin in San Francisco

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I booked a sweet deal on Expedia for my adult daughter and myself for Easter weekend. I have stayed in a lot of hotels, but nowhere has the doorman consistently welcomed me back and opened my door every single time I arrived at the hotel. I felt like I lived there. The room was bayview - awesome! The little lounge in the lobby was perfect. The bartender, front desk, concierge, and doorman gave me excellent directions and suggestions. It was absolutely perfect. The only downside was paying more for overnight parking than I paid for the rental car. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2010

Been to Le Meridien San Francisco? Share your experiences!