“Small boutique hotel in the financial district” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Battery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111   |
Ranked #53 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Small boutique hotel in the financial district”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a boutique hotel under the Starwood hotels umbrella. Stay on business, and it was great! Just walking distance to all the downtown shops like Union Square and market street, short walking distance to Chinatown and North Beach. Worth staying specially if you can use your Starwood points. No smoking allow inside, but they have a beautiful terrace just off the main restaurant on the 3rd floor where you can sit and smoke.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Elk Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, got upgraded to a business suite by a lovely staff person. NIce room, comfortable bed, generally clean except for the far wall near bed by the mirror where it had a few old stains on it. We walked to Blue Bottle coffee at the Mint bldg and then took the 'F' street car to the exploratorium. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I arrived at this hotel at 12:30am. The lobby was hopping (guests, a line checking in) and I probably looked exhausted as I had just arrived from the East Coast due to my flight being delayed and it felt like 3:30am to me. Due to the (very short wait) I was upgraded to a studio suite, which was a large living area separated from the bed area by a dresser/TV. It was spacious and very clean.

Pretty much all I did at this hotel was sleep in the very comfy bed. When I was on the plane, I was craving a big pillow top mattress and fluffy down comforter to bury myself in when I finally got to the hotel and it was exactly what I got. It was also super quiet, due to the layout of the hotel (lots of corners). I didn't have a full bay view but could see the bridge around the financial district buildings.

Location is great for going OTHER places. The Ferry Terminal is just a few blocks away, Fisherman's Wharf is a nice walk down The Embarcadero (or accessible via the light rail across from the terminal), Market St. is nearby, there's a BART station at Embarcadero Center and numerous buses. The location itself is pretty dead, Embarcadero Center has a number of shops that were open on Friday but not on the weekends (a main theme for this business-based area). I loved the location because I like exploring on foot and didn't expect to spend much time in the neighborhood the hotel is in. I'm also a huge Giants fan and was glad that I could walk back to the hotel from AT&T Park and not deal with mass transit.

I also had no problems checking my bags for almost an entire day while I went exploring after checking out.

I'd stay here again if I could get a deal similar to the one I got on Hotwire. It's not overly special but it's comfy, clean and fit my needs for my trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Ocean Beach, Ca.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

From April stay:

We were given a 6 floor room on Friday afternoon that was located directly above construction (2 jackhammers) that started 8am the following Saturday morning. When my wife and I complained, there was no effort made to move our rooms, stating that the hotel was completely booked - at 8am (????) I find this hard to believe. When I confronted Lori at the front desk about the hotel's knowledge of the construction - she admitted that they knew the construction was to begin at 8am upon our checkin the day before. I asked Lori if she thought this was a good way of doing business by placing hotel guests in rooms where they knew unbearable noise would ensue early in the morning. She told me that her hands were tied because the hotel was fully booked (again - we checked in the day before at 2pm, and I find it hard to believe that measures could not have been taken to place us on a higher floor or the opposite side of the building, or at the very least warn their guests and give them an option to book elsewhere). I told her that the hotel charges too much to treat their guests this way and her response was that the hotel did not charge that much and that there was nothing she could do about it. By now she was giving me a lot of attitude and did not so much as offer an apology. My wife who was listening to the entire conversation was over the whole experience and just wanted to check out and get on the road back south to our home-town in San Diego.

Also - the water was shut off for 2 hours the day of check-in and when it was turned back on there was black sediment running out of both the shower and sink faucet. I drank half of a glass of water before noticing the black sediment in the bottom of my glass. There were also holes in the main wall of our room where I suspect a large mirror or framed art was once hanging with pencil marks where they were going to hang new art or a mirror (picture of said holes to be posted soon). We were clearly given a lemon for the same price as a higher floor room with proper amenities, and we have received better service and observed far greater management at Denny's restaurants or Motel 6.

To stiff hotel guests with a room that is clearly unacceptable and then take an attitude as if the guest did something wrong by complaining and expecting a resolution is just horrible service. Your front desk staff Lori (who worked Saturday morning at 8am on April 6th) should look for a profession in a field that does not require customer interactions).

Room Tip: make sure you ask about construction noise before booking.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
kkehs1, General Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Hotel Guest,

Thank you for providing your feedback and I sincerely apologize for the noise creating from the building across the street which the hotel could not control.

On your next visit to San Francisco, please contact me personally to assist with your accommodations.

Thank you.

LeMeridienSFGM
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

On our first visit to San Francisco we found this hotel to be in the perfect location for all the sites. Walking distance to the piers and city centre, with an open top tour bus stop right outside too! We couldn't have asked for more! Much better value at the weekend than the hotels right in the city and with lovely modern, stylish, clean rooms. Staff were friendly and very helpful.

One word - as we stayed at the weekend, the financial districtis rather dead and lifeless. Upon wandering out at night, there are quite a few homeless people in this area, more so than in London, which left us feeling a little uncomfortable and so would recommend using taxis.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I love this hotel. They recently renovated the lobby/bar area - even better than before. Great staff. Huge great rooms with some really great views at the upper levels. The restaurant serves a great breakfast. I only wish they had coffee in the rooms......

Room Tip: ask for one of the rooms with view of the bay
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I work in San Francisco but live in the suburbs. Occasionally I will stay the night in the city and stayed at the Le Meridien last month. The location is excellent for anywhere in the Financial District, Embarcadero or even North Beach. The staff was very friendly, room was good sized for the price and the property itself is very clean. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Le Meridien San Francisco? Share your experiences!