“Le Meridien offers high style and location non pareil in the heart of the Embarcadero area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien San Francisco

You added Le Meridien San Francisco to your Saves list
Le Meridien San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Battery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111   |
Ranked #53 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This Starwood brand is a "cut above" usually in its stylishness and the San Francisco branch is no exception. The hotel has recently completed a thorough renovation and is very handsome indeed with a superb location at the Embarcadero. It's also "walking close" to BART, the Ferry Terminal (and trendy food shops in there), plus Union Square and the theater district. I'd happily stay here any time when the price is right. I was lucky enough to catch a $220 a night special deal.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

For long stays in SF I usually stay across the street at the Club Quarters but I decided to stay a few nights at Le Meridien. I stayed there both during the lobby construction and after it was finished. What a difference! They really should have offered a discounted rate or something when the lobby was being worked on. It was terribly difficult to get in to the hotel through a service entrance and elevator. The new lobby is very modern and clean and finally avoids the nasty service entrance.

Check-in during construction was on the 2nd floor in a meeting room. It got the job done, but I wasn't expecting to wait in such a long line at 10:30pm on a Friday night. While other guests checking in ahead of me were being offered free WIFI, room upgrades, or both for the long wait, when I got up to check in, I was offered nothing. I was tired, and didn't care that much, but when 4 people ahead of you are each offered an upgrade I expected at least something.

Check-in after the lobby was completed was much better. The girl at the desk was very friendly and offered me a late 4pm checkout, which I appreciated. Gave me plenty of time to get out on a weekend and not rush out of the hotel.

I'm always attentive to the internet connection at hotels. Internet speeds at Le Meridien are pretty terrible. Both nights I stayed I never got speeds over 130KB/sec. When I'm paying such a high price for internet, I expect it to be fast. The hotel across the street has free internet for guests and has a 100Mbit Webpass connection. The difference is night and day especially when you're trying to get work done.

The rooms are decently sized. I stayed in both a "normal" room and an "Executive" room with a view and quite honestly the normal room (without the view) was probably a bit nicer. It had a sliding glass door that could actually open and let some air in. I really don't care for "hotel" air while I sleep. Cleanliness was good throughout. The pocket doors leading into the bathroom are particularly heavy and difficult to open and close. They also don't really seal all the steam in the bathroom while you shower. Beds and linens were comfortable and the quality that I would expect from a SPG category 5 hotel.

Room service was very attentive and (of course) exorbitantly overpriced. I ordered pancakes with maple syrup and fresh berries, breakfast potatoes, and a cup of espresso. Grand total... $41. Ouch. The service and food was excellent and you always expect to pay a heavy premium to eat in your room. Just for fun, I ordered the exact same breakfast the following morning from a takeout place 2 blocks away and paid under $10 for the same meal. Eating breakfast at the office isn't the same as your hotel room overlooking the Bay, but still... everyone has their own definition of value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
OKC, OK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I'm so dumbfounded by my experience at this property that I don't even know where to start...

Upon approach into the valet area after morning meetings, several employees were playing a game of "breast twister". Yes, the valets were pinching and twisting each others nipples.

There was dried up nastiness of some sort on top of the comforter and on the floor. I requested a room change.

The most significant issue of my stay occurred at check-in. The first desk person said that something was wrong with her computer and she had to call for someone else. The second person couldn't seem to check me in either and said that there was something wrong with her system. She repeatedly swiped my corporate credit card. I heard her say "799" and I asked her what was $7.99 and she said "no, $799.00". I told her that no, my rate is $299. This is where my impression of the Le Meridien was ruined. The lady cocked her head to the side and with a slight smile told me, and I quote, "you'll pay $799 unless you can prove that we confirmed you at $299". I was astounded. I had never experienced anything like this. I'm quite accustomed to the Sofitel brand of hotels and their hospitality - Le Meridian is nothing in comparison. So there I was with my iPhone scrolling through hundreds of emails over the last month to find my email confirmation. And of course my email confirmation from the hotel proved that I was confirmed at $299 a night. There was no apology, no I'm sorry, no let's make it right - nothing. The rudeness was unbelievable and I even asked to speak with the manager, the lady who gave me such hassle over the rate said and, I quote "I am the manager". I proceeded to my room where I found the dried-up nastiness and upon going back downstairs and requesting a room change, I demanded to know who the general manager was. I was given the business card for the general manager and later that evening upon returning from dinner I had a voicemail message from the person who'd been so amazingly rude to me saying that she would have a bellman drop off a breakfast certificate. As if a free breakfast would make up for what happened???
Never again....

• Stayed February 2013
kkehs1, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Hello, I want to apologize for everything that went wrong during your stay. My apologies also for the treatment you recieved by our Manager at the front desk. I will follow up with her and the valet staff regarding the un-professional way they handeled themselves. We strive to deliver excellent service and a superior product in our guest rooms so we take these shortcomings very serious and appreacite this feedback.

Troy Gauthreaux
Director of Front Office
Staines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights because we got a great rate through a third party website. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel was looking really stunning following a recent renovation project. There were, however, a few downsides for us, which probably mean we wouldn't return. Firstly, if you have a car, overnight parking is very costly in central San Francisco and the hotel's own parking is no exception. There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Our room wasn't particularly well cleaned, although it didn't look dirty - the same hairs remained in the bottom of the bath throughout our stay - I counted them each morning as I showered! Also, there were only 4 lifts and at busy times you have to wait a LONG time for one. We managed to walk up and down as we were only on the 6th floor, but 5 minutes is a long time hanging around in a lobby for a lift. So an enthusiastic 4 for the style and comfort, but too many cons for me to want to go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you liked our new lobby and bar but not so happy on the cleanliness issue. Rest assured we will follow up with our Housekeeping Staff to ensure that our standands are maintained for every guest.
Troy Gauthreaux, Director of Front Office Operations
CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I just stayed there on February 23rd, 2013. Checked in and the front desk woman wasn't friendly at all. We get up to our room and the comforter and decorative throw are both stained with a dark red substance and dried food. We called housekeeping and got another one sent up. There was no warning on the website when I booked a week earlier that there was ear-shattering jack-hammering construction that would be ongoing throughout our stay starting at 7 am Saturday and Sunday morning and was still going on in the afternoon when we returned. Tried to take a nap and that wasn't possible. Definitely something they should warn future guests about, give them the option to want to book there or not. Maybe offer a discounted rate if they do decide to book while construction is happening (even if it's across the street). Found a weird 4 inch cylinder looking contraption with a rubber band tied to it under the bed along with a pair of dirty, black socks that weren't ours. Everything in the room was dusty. We were just disgusted with the lack of cleanliness. Also, the Voss water in the mini fridge, don't open! Spent 10 minutes trying to open two of them and finally had to call down to front desk to have someone come up and open them for us. The woman came in and wrapped a rubber band around the top of it and opened it. BEWARE if you choose to take one while you stay there. We ended up just drinking one of them and they didn't charge us for two. When I went to check out and told the front desk about these concerns all they did was comp our $4.99 in-room movie. Just completely unprofessional. Will never stay there again or recommend to anyone. The only reason I booked here is because I was staging a photo shoot because of the decor in the room. Well, didn't look as nice in person as in the photos, and the pillows were a different color than in the photos online. It takes 25 minutes to get your car out of valet.

Room Tip: Higher floor for those wanting to actually get a good night's rest.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hello,

Our apologies for the noise that was created by the construction that was taking place in the building across the street from our hotel. We unfortunately had no control over this and again apologize for any inconvenience this caused you during your stay. Thank you very much for your feedback about the cleanliness of your guest room. This was absolutely not acceptable and the Director of Housekeeping was informed will follow up with his staff.

Troy Gauthreaux
Director of Front Office Operations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We booked our stay at the Le Meridien using an online vacation deal. I gave the hotel 4 stars since we thought the online deal was worth the stay. We were given a good discount on our hotel room, a complimentary drink at the bar and free valet parking. We arrived very early (9am) for check-in and they accommodated our early arrival and immediately gave us access to our room. Our room was located on the 13th floor, so we luckily avoided all the street and construction noise and we had great view of the streets below. I would recommend asking for a higher room floor.

I took away a star since the hotel was still under construction during our stay, so the main entrance was blocked off. This was somewhat inconvenient because you had to enter the side valet entrance and wait for a small elevator to take you up to the makeshift lobby and then take another elevator once inside to get to any floors in the actual hotel. We stayed at the hotel with two other couples and we all found the rooms to be nicely remodeled and the hotel staff were helpful with restaurant recommendations and places to tour in SF. The hotel is located in the Financial District, but we were able to walk to the Ferry Terminal, local restaurants, Chinatown, Union Square, and North Beach. We used nearby local transportation to visit farther neighborhoods such as the Castro District and Haight Ashbury. Keep in mind if you are staying at the Le Meridien for a vacation the local breakfast and lunch eateries are closed on the weekends. Overall, we found the rooms to be well updated and clean, although, a little small and the staff helpful. Just keep in mind you are located in the business district and to book after the construction is fully complete.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stay in this hotel often when traveling to SF on business. It has a good central location that allows you to walk easily to most downtown office buildings. Since I stay so often, I usually get upgraded to some sort of suite, and most of the rooms are nice. I definitely recommend asking for a higher floor as the street noise can be a negative. The staff are generally very nice. However, they do need to work on a couple things, and I really only stay here because of the convenient location. They just remodeled the lobby, and I can't say it was an improvement. Trying to be hipper than they are.
Pros: Location, friendly staff
Cons: Street noise, cheap towels, poor bath products, questionable lobby remodel

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Le Meridien San Francisco? Share your experiences!