“Bad Experience” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Cyril Magnin Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Price
Save 20% + Free internet!
Ranked #69 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Bad Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I had the unfortunate experience of staying at Parc 55 through booking a Hotwire room. Usually- I never have a problem using Hotwire. However- upon check in at Parc 55- I was informed that since I was Hotwire customer my room was not guaranteed. They said the only room they had for me was a smoking double room and it was my fault for not booking directly with the hotel. The room 818 that was given to us smelled terrible. Even the bedding smelled like smoke which made me believe that the linens were not fresh. The light switches had dirt crusted on them. The bathroom was older- the tile dirty around the tub. The staff was unfriendly. When I did call for new pillows that did not smell like smoke- they brought me towels. The entire 8th floor smelled terrible and I gagged every time I had to walk in the hall. I am sure the non smoking rooms were nice. And if you book directly with the hotel that they treat you better.. I would say it is a 3 star hotel that has seen better days. The location of the hotel was fabulous. Parking was $44. I wouldn't have stayed there if it wasn't pre-paid through Hotwire.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
parc55hotel, Manager at Parc 55 Wyndham San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, May 3, 2010
Sorry that a smoking room was your only option. We understand that the smoking rooms can be unpleasant for non-smokers and we always do our best to accomodate room preferences. When we are sold out, however, unfortunately we cannot guarantee the room type booked through Hotwire. We encourage you to book directly by calling the hotel or visiting the website so that you can enter your room type and personal preferences and they will be guaranteed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

The hotel is in a great location that is convenient to everything. I was at a conference and made my life easy that it was with in walking distance to the center. The one day I had free I was able to walk out the front door and hop right on the cable car.

The hotel was recently remodeled I was told, and in general they did a very nice job. But there were small details that were overlooked that are the difference between a good place and a really top notch place. Such as the room was very clean, the bed and bedding beautiful a nice desk and large flat panel TV. The bathroom was spacious and clean. But if you looked at the little details...the outlets were old and discolored and dirty, the frame of the mirror in the bathroom had some touch-up work done with a paint that doesn't match the frame. The patches stood out like a sore thumb. The towels were hard. There was a phone in the bathroom which was a nice touch except it looked like it was from the 70s. It looked oddly out of date. The heating/cooling was loud and didn't work very well.

It was the little touches that separate a good place from a great place. Also there was no safe in the room.

That being said the staff was all very nice and did their best to accommodate with the exception being that I called and asked if I could get some utensils sent to the room and it took an hour. They were very nice about it but I thought it was excessively long. The other being when I tried one night to set up a wake-up call and the front desk wasn't picking up. I let it ring over 20 times and had to call back 3 times before someone picked up.

House keeping I have to say did a very nice job. When I came back to the room at the end of the day it was nicely freshened up.

I had a "special rate" for the conference I was at, which looking at their current posted full rates for this week were actually higher, which of course is annoying.

It was a nice place..but for the money they ask they can do better...and possibly offer a cup of coffee or light breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
parc55hotel, Manager at Parc 55 Wyndham San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, April 30, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent stay. We truly appreciate the feedback and hope you enjoyed your conference.
Stockton, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

love this hotel! great location! very comfortable beds and large room size. Friendly staff! bart and bus lines just out the front door. great price!

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
parc55hotel, Manager at Parc 55 Wyndham San Francisco Union Square, responded to this review, April 26, 2010
Thanks Sharon1224! We are glad you stayed with us from just across the Bay and appreciate the great comments.
fountain valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

This was the second time I've stayed at the Parc 55 and it was as good as the first time. They have remodled the first floor since I as there last April so it just looks cleaner as you arrive. (Checkin is on the second floor) Overall the only complaint I could possibly have it that the rooms can get a little loud at times at ight due to the fact that you are in the heart of downtown. I accidently left the vent cracked on the window the first night which made it loud. Let me just say that the Parc is truly positioned perfecly to see down town. Its right across from the bart station and the cable cars and across the street is the mall. I'll be coming back here in the future.

Dea blackwrx,
We are so happy to have you as a repeat guest. We appreciate your loyalty and thank you for posting this review. Glad that you like the remodel. See you next time!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

We booked this through Hotwire without knowing what hotel we would get. We got a great price and although the hotel was not the nicest we've stayed in it was good and the location more than made up for any other shortcomings. We didn't try the restaurant or room service so can't comment on those.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review. We are glad that you were able to get a great deal and hope you will return to stay with us again.
Boston Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

This is right on top of Union Square with all of the adjoining shopping and restaurants. Its also right near the beginning of one of the cable car lines. The staff was very helpful. The hotel is pet friendly and when my wife told the desk check in person that she was sallergic to dog hair he immediately switched her to a non pet hypoallergenic room with a spectacular view. Although the hotel appears to be slanted to a business traveler it was very accomodating and welcoming to us tourists

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks for posting, Rebster65! Sounds like you were upgraded to one of our PURE rooms which provide a totally hypo-allergenic environment. I'm glad that this enhanced your stay. These rooms are always available to book directly for future stays. Thanks again.
Parma, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

I stayed at Parc55 for 4 nights for a computer convention. The stay was just great - the customer service was amazing (everywhere from the front desk to housekeeping), and the bed was so extremely comfortable. One of the huge downsides was to valet your car, it was $44/night, and there is very little public parking anywhere in the area (I would expect parking at a hotel to be free for guests). The only thing this hotel was missing was a pool. I didn't check out the gym, but my brother said that it was better than a lot of the standalone gyms he's paid for. When you walk outside, you are right in Union Square which is a great place to be in the city - tons of food everywhere, and steps away from the cable cars to get to Fisherman's Wharf. Overall, my stay was fantastic and I would stay there again - but next time I would take the subway directly to the hotel (Powell exit). I would never take a car there again, as they are really unnecessary in the bay area - and I'm a guy who loves driving. I was in a room with a view and one king bed, and the room was very big and spacious.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for the 5-star review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the Parc 55 so much. We will be sure to share your comments about the unbelievable customer service with all of our departments. Great suggestion to take BART as we are only 1/2 block from the Powell station. Parking downtown is expensive and public transportation is very convenient. We hope you will choose the Parc 55 again (and recommend us to all your friends)!

Been to Parc 55 Wyndham San Francisco Union Square? Share your experiences!