“Great place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #108 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
tahoe
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

Stayed here with my wife 11 y/o son and my mother. First off I'll say my son and I have stayed at many different budget hotels in san fran (<$100) and this place tops them all so far. Our room was very big with a microwave and small frig. I read a few reviews that criticised the area as "sketchy", ??? What? These reviewers must live in a gated community and not leave too often! Great area, with many food choices within a short, safe walk. My mother is afraid of her shadow but wasnt concerned in the least to take a 9:00 pm walk with me. My son and I skated till midnight in this very safe area. One critic complaind that this is a "motel". Umm, it has a sign in the pics that says "motel" As far as the critics of the parking here: ITS FREE! Other places we have stayed at, budget or not, we paid an average of $30-40/day for parking. This is San Fran not BFE Arkansas. To complain about these small, FREE, parking spots seems rediculous. There are not many free parking spots in SF. The area was quiet, and we never heard any street noise during our stay. Once again this is SF people! Kinda sounds like the negitive reviewers want a budget hotel price with Hilton lux. If so, pay for it. (no free parking at the hilton)
As far as Bfast, it was bananas, apples, and packaged paistries. Heard a lot of complaints about that before our trip. Man some people just love to complain, and to those people, go pay 3 times more plus parking and quit trying to get a Cadillac on Pinto money. This place is solid, and anyone who says otherwise is either a complainer, or not used to big cities.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

My husband and I spent a week at the Nob Hill and we had a great time.

First of all, the location can't be beat. It's in Russian Hill and the neighborhood is full of little restaurants and shops. The 19 Polk and the 45 Union bus can take you anywhere you need to go in the city. I recommend the Muni Passport, good for 7 consecutive days of Muni travel, even cable cars!

The rooms are quiet, comfy and CLEAN. Towels are replaced daily, none of this leave it on the floor crap. Judy and Frank are still there, although I think they're getting ready to retire.

The cable is strange. No sports or news channels, but the basic network, Discovery and four (4!) PBS stations. You'll want to DVR your shows while you're away because you'll get plenty of Mandarin and Spanish stations, but no AMC, Bravo or Lifetime.

The room is large for the area and boasts the comfort of a fridge/freezer, coffee maker and a microwave. Little pastries are in the office at around 7AM, but you might want to check out Crepe House, Bob's Donuts or Mister Donut if you want something more.

Tai Chi, the little Chinese joint around the block is very good. As is my favorite Chinese place, Woey Loy Goey, at Grant and Jackson in Chinatown.

I had a conference at Moscone and the 45 Union got me there in about 35 minutes. MUCH better than staying south of Market, at least in Russian Hill, you've got a neighborhood to explore. The big hotels downtown are a bit too much for me!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We decided to stay in this motel becouse of free parking, but we were pleasenty surprised that this motel is located in the hart of SanFrancisco (cable car stop only 2 blocks away), rooms were comfortable and clean. Only breakfast is poor, but you get a croissant and coffee...

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We were pleased that parking was free .
Our room was very quiet and very clean.
The owners were helpful and provided tips of how to get around the city etc.
We will definitely stay here again if we get back to San Francisco

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Elmhurst, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Family vacation for 4. Last minute vacation plans from Reno, NV to San Francisco, CA. Looked on line - Nob Hill rcvd high marks. Free parking, reasonable rates. Contacted them directly and rcvd a cheaper price than I found on line.
Upon arrival, we noticed the neighborhood wasn't so nice. Entered the hotel parking area and noticed it was a MOTEL. Wow, were we shocked. No where did it say it was a MOTEL. We aren't MOTEL people. Courtyard is the lowest we go. They have a lobby. This place had a window and room for two people to stand at the counter.
We wouldn't have stayed here if we new it was a MOTEL.
We went out for dinner the first night...scary neighborhood. Nob Hill is the rich area...this is as far from ritzy as you could find. Coulndn't walk to anything really and feel safe.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

My family and I stayed at the Nob Hill Motor Inn from August 11 to August 12, 2009, and our stay was nothing short of terrible. Once we: (1) drove up to the property and realized that the photo on its website is not at all representative of the rest of the building; (2) learned after checking in that the advertised “Continental Breakfast” would be nothing more than some sweet rolls on a plate in the office; and (3) entered our room and immediately noticed that it certainly had not been “newly renovated” and heard every footstep of the family in the suite above us, we knew that the property had been misrepresented to us and the public and that we had made a gigantic mistake in selecting this motel. I asked the manager if there was another suite to which we could move and she told me that no other large enough room was available for the four of us, but she urged me to let her know if we had any problems, because she could only help us if she knew about our problems. I later called her twice, including a final call at 11:30 p.m., during which she dismissed my suggestion that the floor/ceiling above us was either paper thin or poorly constructed. In fairness to her, I believe she tried to get the family upstairs to settle down and stop galloping around their suite, but ultimately, she admitted there was nothing more she could do to quiet them down to give us a peaceful night’s rest. As a result of her inability to provide what is supposed to be its primary service—a good night’s sleep—we all spent most of the final night of our vacation awake and fuming that we had spent over $200 to be totally miserable. Travelers considering this motel should also know that in our room: (1) the bathroom door did not fit squarely within its jamb, making all activities in the bathroom quite evident to those in the room; (2) the soft and deformed mattresses and lumpy pillows on the beds are way overdue for replacement; and (3) the “mattress” on the sofa bed was so thin and worn and overall awful that the property should not even refer to it as a place to sleep. Before we checked out, I took my family to a nearby restaurant on Polk Street and spent $48.00 to feed them in a manner comparable to our free in-hotel breakfasts around Northern California. The manager told me when we checked in that what her property offers is just like what all the other hotels they have visited offer their guests. I’m not sure where they vacation, but I have no doubt what families have come to expect when a hotel advertises a “continental breakfast” and her plate of sweet rolls is a far cry from that and I think she knows it! When we checked out, the manager apologized but was unwilling to offer any compensation for our misery.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ventura County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Very friendly and helpful husband and wife management team. Spacious room equipped with microwave, small refridgerator and coffee maker. Within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square and Chinatown. Plenty of good restaurants nearby.
We will be back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Nob Hill Motor Inn? Share your experiences!