We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Abri. We arrived very early expecting to drop our bags and return later to check in. It was a pleasant surprise to have a room ready. It was, however, a street-facing room (although I was assured that it wasn't on the same street as the nightclub). I accepted this knowing that I could change rooms the next day if it was noisy. This gave me the opportunity to check out two different rooms when we did change.
Noise - street facing rooms are going to be very noisy. Period. The A/C units are all window units so no amount of double-glazing (although I don't think the Abri has this) is going to keep the noise out. We were awakened at 2am by what appeared to be a restaurant or bar throwing glass bottles into a dumpster for 20 minutes straight. I changed rooms to an interior room and the noise was drastically reduced. You won't have a view but if noise is an issue this is the way to go.
Smell - our 1st street facing room smelled normal. The 2nd interior room had a strong sewer smell that we noticed every time we entered but then quickly got used to.
Bed are as comfortable as everyone said.
Bathrooms - not much privacy. They have a large glass panel in the center of the door. In our first room it prevented you from looking into the bathroom and seeing much. In our second room the panel seemed to be reversed and you could see everything going on in the bathroom quite clearly while you couldn't look out into the room. There are no vent fans in the bathroom, either, so you are really going to have everything on display. The sink in the first bathroom was a pedestal and there was literally nowhere to put cosmetics or other items as you were getting ready. Annoying. The 2nd bathroom had a huge beautiful countertop.
Space - we upgraded to an Urban Suite knowing we were staying for almost a week. It was wonderful. I'd seen other reviews out here saying that the Urban Suites are tiny and I can assure you they are not. We had a great sitting area with a large LCD TV, mini fridge, desk, couch, coffee maker. It was perfect. The bedroom was also large as it had a king-sized bed, chaise lounge, another large LCD TV, great drawer space, a full closet and plenty of room to walk around. I did not see any of the standard rooms but if space is a concern go for an Urban Suite.
Wifi (the free Wifi) is SLOW. You are only allowed to use computers in the "business center" for printing boarding passes otherwise you have to pay.
Service - the front desk staff were all wonderful! Very friendly and accommodating through check-in, check-out and our room swap. Maid service was great except for the one day that I was horrified to realize that we'd forgotten to leave a tip. We got back to the hotel as the maid was in the hallway finishing another room. It hit me that I hadn't left a tip and we rushed to the room to grab some money to give to her. Boy oh boy was there a difference in the condition of our room versus the days where I'd left the tip out. Towels hadn't been changed out, the coffee supplies weren't replenished, the bed wasn't fully made. It was a poor job and was quite obvious that we'd been punished. That's a shame. I saved the $5 for the person who had to deliver clean towels and coffee instead of giving it to her.
Location - 1 block from the BART, Muni and cable car stations. Couldn't be more perfect as a base for exploring SF. It was so easy to get to the hotel from the airport as well (via BART) and likely saved us $40 or so each way. There is a very large Walgreens 1.5 blocks away that had a semi-grocery section. We were able to stock up on bottled water, wine, snacks and protein bars for breakfast as well as use the Redbox kiosk to have a movie for our one early, quiet night. It was great.
The attached restaurant Puccini and Pinetti is wonderful and they have a fabulous happy hour. I loved having such a great place right there.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel and would happily stay there again if I return to SF.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay Vibrant. Urban style at the center of it all in San Francisco’s Union Square. Ideal for both the leisure and business traveler, the newly transformed Hotel Abri is a modern day urban oasis featuring a sleek décor complemented by contemporary art and upscale amenities. The hotel’s energetic vibe is delightfully balanced with a comfortable ease, offering guests a unique sensorial experience and the highest levels of hospitality and service. Hotel Abri offers personalized experiences tailored to guest’s individual needs and interests, from complimentary wireless high speed Internet, DVD players and movie libraries, to a full service business center and a knowledgeable concierge program. Additionally, as part of the Larkspur Collection, the hotel offers signature brand elements, including the FeatherBorne® Bed package, L’Occitane bath and body products, high-tech efficiencies and a warm, welcoming atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, TIG Global, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Priceline, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Abri reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Larkspur Collection San Francisco
- Hotel Abri Larkspur Collection