I stayed at the Hotel Abri for three nights in December 2011. I had a very pleasant stay and would recommend this hotel highly to visitors to San Francisco.
First of all, the hotel has probably the most central and convenient location in San Francisco. Walk a block south and you're at the busy Powell Street-Market Street intersection. This area is a shopping and public transport hub for the city - there's a MUNI booth where you can buy public transport tickets, the main cable car stop for cable cars going north to Fisherman's Wharf and the Powell Street BART Station (where you can catch trains to and from San Francisco International Airport). A couple of blocks north and you're in the Union Square shopping and dining area.
The hotel is boutique-style with 91 rooms. It's in a historic building (I'd say built around 1900-1920) which was totally modernized and renovated in 2008. The renovation is impressive - the hotel throughout is clean, fresh and slick with an attractive orange, grey and black themed decor. I particularly liked the gas fireplace area in the lobby - very enticing to lounge about in a San Francisco winter!
I paid around $110 per night (it was a holiday special) and for that price, I was expecting a fairly nondescript convention-style hotel. To my surprise, however, my room was of a standard I would have expected to find in a much more expensive and luxurious hotel. My room was thoughtfully laid out to make the most of the space (it didn't feel cramped). It had an iPod player and radio (a bit fiddly to use though) on the bedside table and, best of all, a 42 inch wall-mounted LCD TV. A TV this large was a real treat and a credit to the hotel - far more expensive hotels I've stayed in have a 32 inch TV at best. The bathroom was spacious and looked very new and fresh. One delight was the L'Occitane toiletries - again a brand that would be at home in a more expensive hotel. The in-room WiFi was free, fast and worked well.
The only negative about the room is that there was no climate control system in the room, only a window-mounted dual heating/air-conditioning unit. This worked well enough, but took a while to heat the room up on a cold San Francisco winter morning.
Overall, though, my room was a pleasure to stay in.
The hotel has a young staff who were warm and friendly. When I checked in, I was made to feel welcome and given a choice of rooms (one more spacious, but facing the street and therefore noisier, and one facing the inner courtyard and quieter but a bit smaller). I'm an independent sort of traveller so didn't need their assistance much but the queries I did have were handled promptly, professionally and with a smile.
- Also Known As:
- Larkspur Collection San Francisco
- Hotel Abri Larkspur Collection
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay Vibrant. Urban style at the center of it all in San Francisco’s Union Square. Ideal for both the leisure and business traveler, the newly transformed Hotel Abri is a modern day urban oasis featuring a sleek décor complemented by contemporary art and upscale amenities. The hotel’s energetic vibe is delightfully balanced with a comfortable ease, offering guests a unique sensorial experience and the highest levels of hospitality and service. Hotel Abri offers personalized experiences tailored to guest’s individual needs and interests, from complimentary wireless high speed Internet, DVD players and movie libraries, to a full service business center and a knowledgeable concierge program. Additionally, as part of the Larkspur Collection, the hotel offers signature brand elements, including the FeatherBorne® Bed package, L’Occitane bath and body products, high-tech efficiencies and a warm, welcoming atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Splendia, Tingo, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Otel, Venere, Fareportal and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Abri reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.