“Best in the Financial District” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Loews Regency San Francisco

You added Loews Regency San Francisco to your Saves list
Loews Regency San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Sansome Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (Formerly Mandarin Oriental) (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$25 Food&Beverage Credit
Ranked #79 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
“Best in the Financial District”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I travel often and it's nice to have a hotel that feels like a home away from home. The staff is great and eager to serve. The bed is comfortable and the food is excellent. I also had an amazing view from my room. I will definitely stay here next time I come back to San Francisco.

Stayed April 2015
Craig K, Manager at Loews Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Jhenrym,

Thank you so much for your amazing review! It's wonderful to hear such nice comments about our team and property! We think it's amazing aswell! We'll look forward to accommodating you again on future visits.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I travel often for business to San Francisco. This is my first time staying at the new Loews Regency (which was formerly the Mandarin Oriental). The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. My room was on the 47th floor and the views of San Francisco and the Bay were stunning! The fitness center is also equipped with Technogym equipment which is my favorite. I didn't get an opportunity to use the spa because of my schedule; however I took a brief tour and I was so impressed that I will make a point to have a treatment in my next visit.
And.... Wifi was also complimentary!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Craig K, Manager at Loews Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear LCB08008,

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Loews Regency San Francisco! We appreciate the tremendous review you gave and we also think the view is quite spectacular! We'll look forward to seeing you again on your return visit to San Francisco!

Sincerely

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We decided to stay at the Loews Regency because last year, around the same time , we stayed at the same location, but was called Mandarin Oriental. It was a great experience and I reviewed about it. When I was looking to book Mandarin Oriental to stay this time, I found out this hotel is the new Loews Regency. But we nevertheless decided to stay here because of the wonderful experience last year. Man, what a difference the two brands made.

It all started with the booking. I usually go to the Expedia first to get a transparent price - Expedia almost always tells you the price + other taxes. I then go to the hotel website to book the room. My experience was that such hotels usually offers pretty much the same prices as offered on internet. When I went to Loews Regency's website, it gives a more expensive price but did say that they were going to match the internet offer and gave a number to call. So I called, what I waste of time. I was told that the rooms offered on the internet were no longer available (seriously? I was on the website while I was calling), I did not press, it was not much different in price anyway. In addition, I was assured that the room I was booked over the phone would have a better view and a higher floor. Let me say this, I hate vendors being petty, especially when it comes about matching price. So it left a bit bad taste in my mouth with this booking experience.

Lack of attention to details is our general impression with this hotel. Over the phone, when I was asked for the purpose of the stay, I told the hotel reservation specialist that it was to celebrate my husband's birthday. So they asked my husband's name. However, at the check-in, everyone wished me happy birthday. Also at the check-in, when we were given the choices of newspaper to have in the morning, WSJ, NYTimes, or FT, we picked NYTimes. What delivered was WSJ. One of the bath towels in our bath had way over extended its life-cycle, looked just like a Motel 6 towel. As every other 5-star hotel provides gourmet coffee/tea options in the room, there is no such option at Lowes in San Francisco.

Everyone knows the quality of the hotel can be seen from the bathroom. Now look at this picture: The shower is shower over tub, not different from Marriott (honestly, I did not mind it much when it was Mandarin Oriental - it just tells you the bad impressions really added up), the toiletries looked really cheap and the hair dryer was very heavy, and the toilet was really made for dwarves.

The room that I was assured to have was sitting on the top floor, but right by the elevator. At six o'clock in the morning, I started hearing pings non-stop because there was only one elevator in operation to take all the Financial District visitors/business persons to work and to meetings. When I brought it up at the check out, the only explanation was that the hotel was upgrading the elevator system so basically, you just have to put up with it.

Let me say this, this hotel was no comparison to other 5 star hotels in San Francisco. Especially since the hotel is under renovation, at least make it clear on the website or at the time of booking or just do not call it a 5-star yet. In 2002, the Vltava river flooded the Four Seasons in Prague. When Four seasons reopened its door in late 2003, it first classified itself as a four-star hotel while there was still some construction and repair going on.

Maybe it's just because the hotel is in the FiDi and therefore there is no lack of supply of customers. But to build a brand, you need a sustained, consistent commitment to quality of service, which include but not limited to attention to details and product honesty - all of which should not be compromised by location or demand. Oh, by the way, for a business hotel, the WiFi is way too slow……

To be fair, the people working there are very friendly, I believe lots of them (I am sure of the SPA personnels) were previously employed by Mandarin Oriental. But something has definitely changed…...

There are so many choices for good hotels, honestly, I would not go back to Loews again.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Craig K, Manager at Loews Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for choosing to stay at Loews Regency San Francisco. Our customer feedback is so important to us. It truly helps us focus on ways to continuously improve our service, so we appreciate your detailed review. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered, during your visit with us as well as during the reservations process. We know how important it is to have a seamless reservations experience, as it sets an impression for the overall hotel. We have reviewed your comments with our teams and can assure that any future visits with be excellent. I have also noted your comments in regards to the delivery of newspaper and towels and we will be sure to address in our Rooms Division meeting. I would like to reiterate that without your invaluable detailed comments, we might not have been able to address and learn from them. I do hope you decide to give us another try, so we can exceed your expectations.

Knutsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Recently changed worship from The Mandarin Oriental, the warm welcome by the staff, including knowing our names, from Door Man, to Restaurant staff as well as reception and concierge staff was the best we have ever experienced. The welcome was equally supported by the facilities and the food served.

Room Tip: Choose a bay view room. The hotel comprises the first 3 floors and floors 38 to 48 of a business tow...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Craig K, Manager at Loews Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Barri,

Thank you so much for your amazing review! The team was thrilled to see your comments! We'll look forward to your return visit next time your travels brings you back to San Francisco!

Thank you so much!

Craig
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2015

Stayed here with my husband for one night before heading to Palo Alto for Moyamoya surgery. Beautiful hotel, great staff. Especially loved the house car driver. He took us on a mini tour of the city, and took our photo on Lombard street. We had a wonderful view of the Golden Gate Bridge and other sights from our room. We would definitely stay there again when we have to go back to Stanford for my check up in a few years.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Craig K, Front Office Manager at Loews Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Loews Regency San Francisco. We're thrilled you had such a wonderful experience with us and do hope that your recovery has been successful! We also hope that on your return visit you can enjoy more of what San Francisco has to offer!

Craig Kind
Front Office Manager
Loews Regency San Francisco

Been to Loews Regency San Francisco? Share your experiences!