“Outstanding Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco

You added Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Sansome Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (Financial District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Daily Dining / Spa Credit
Ranked #5 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, Texas
“Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental on a recent visit to SF. Fortunate enough to get a good rate for a four night stay through a business connection. The rooms are very well appointed and all have great views of the city or the bay. What really makes this hotel is the service - simply first class!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

One of the most incredible hotel views I've ever encountered! Truly spectacular, especially if you're fortunate enough to get one of the "Bridge to Bridge" rooms. From those rooms you get one view of the bay, Golden Gate, Alcatraz, Coit Tower, etc. and the other view of the Bay Bridge, Treasure Island and beyond. The hotel staff was top notch. We hired the hotel car and driver for a day of sightseeing and couldn't have been better treated. We WILL be back there and highly recommend it. Only slight nit is only one restaurant, but it was quite good with a GREAT breakfast!

Room Tip: Ask for "Bridge to Bridge" room for the best views!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
MO_SANFRANCISCO, Guest Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. I am delighted that you enjoyed the views of the bay from our beautiful Bridge to Bridge room. We are very proud of our colleagues who strive to provide exceptional service to each and every guest.

I look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I've never been more awe struck by a hotel view in a major metropolitan era. We had the pleasure of spending one night, in a suite, on the top 48th floor looking north. The expansive views included the bay, Transamerica Tower, Coit Tower and Alcatraz. This hotel is really the top of two business towers with a wall to wall floor to ceiling glass bridge on each floor that gives the most incredible views to the north and south.

Unfortunately their is just one restaurant and bar off of the non-existent lobby. The restaurant looks onto a non-descript street. A truly five star hotel like this needs more than one place to eat and drink and at least one that isn't in dated beige tones.

The service was of course impeccable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
MO_SANFRANCISCO, Guest Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco. I am delighted that you enjoyed your short stay with us, thank you for taking advantage of the view from our Sky Bridge. Our views from the 38th floor to the 48th floor of the California building truly sets us apart from the hotels in San Francisco.

I look forward to welcome you back in the future for a longer stay.

canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

San Francisco is pricing itself out of the tourist market. We attended a meeting on the subject. We then went back to our hotel and paid airline ticket prices for a few mediocre drinks in the bar! The bar service was sadly limited to bar staff trying to pick up some of our staff. The views are the highpoint of the hotel (sorry about that). The rooms start about 350 feet above ground. The view of the bay and the Golden Gate are truly worth the extra dollars. I am not keen on glass baths. Perhaps they will suit your visual taste. The hotel staff members give outstanding, personalised service.

Room Tip: San Francisco is too interesting on the ground to stay in your room looking out the window--no matte...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MO_SANFRANCISCO, Guest Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review and your stay at Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco. Thank you for the nice comment regarding our hotel staff members. I am delighted to know that they provided the outstanding personalize service we strive to give to all of our guests.

I was disappointed to know that our bar service did not meet your needs. I will forward your comments to our restaurant manager to look into this incident.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have further details on your experience.

Marblehead, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Usually stay at the Four Seasons in San Francisco, which I think is the best city hotel I have stayed at in the United States. However, it was booked for this trip so chose the Mandarin. Lobby is underwhelming, but that didn't really matter. Rooms are oddly shaped. I had Deluxe City View. Beautiful view of city and water beyond. But, rooms are narrow and large, but not all that spacious. No coffee maker in the room, which I found annoying. Also, no cold water in mini bar, also annoying. Gym was ok. There are three treadmills -- one Precor and two of another brand that I don't like. Thought the gym should have been more updated and with better equipment. Breakfast was TERRIBLE. Went to restaurant at 7:30 a.m. and was served coffee. I was joined by a colleague at 7:45 and we waited until 8:25 before a waiter came over to us to take our order after asking two different people three times to please send over a server. We ordered at 8:30, but had a meeting at 9, 4 blocks away. We waited until 8:50 and then had to leave without ever seeing our order -- a fruit plate with yogurt and an oatmeal. The manager took my card and apologized, but the service was absolutely terrible and the restaurant was not all that crowded. I actually looked up the Four Seasons to see if I could move tonight and it is available, but too much of a hassle to move. Simply not what I would expect for $700 a night at a hotel of this quality.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review and your stay at Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco. Your feedback regarding our restaurant is greatly appreciated. I apologize that we fell short of your expectations and waited a very long time to be served during your stay. I will forward your comments to our restaurant manager so that they may address the issues.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to discuss your experience in detail.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The staff was kind enough to all know my son was on a college visit, and kept saying his name and congratulating him for getting into the school. The support of the staff was really great. The room was modern and beautiful, with a wonderful view. The restaurant downstairs was very convenient to just grab good quality food when we were hungry. sadly, no pool or hot tub!, but the spa services were excellent.

Room Tip: we got a corner room so we could have an extended view. well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review and your stay at Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco. I am delighted that you enjoyed The Spa during your stay and were able to enjoy food selections from Brasserie S&P.

I look forward to welcome you back in the future,

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

On the final leg of our California trip, my husband and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental. This was "plush digs" compared to the last resort. On arrival, we explained to the concierge that some of our bags were stolen when we arrived in San Francisco, and he immediately began helping us get our itinerary back together. The trip to Alcatraz with a "hop on hop off" bus tour was rescued with his help (it often is booked two weeks in advance so we were relieved.)

We had a nice room on the 48th floor. Normally, I don't like to stay this high in a hotel (after a conversation with a fireman years ago) but we had a spectacular view of the Bay, the TransAmerica building, and Alcatraz off in the distance.

Our room was clean, modern and had complimentary delivery of the Wall Street Journal each morning. It also had more electrical outlets than many hotels (including in the bedside tables) which we much appreciated for plugging in our cell phones at night. Housekeeping was friendly and did a nice job although we spent much of our time strolling around the different sight-seer locations in San Francisco rather than in our room.

There always seemed to be a cab at the ready right outside of the hotel, so if you wanted a cab, it was easy to get one. We did end up walking to and from the pier a couple of times by choice. (We chose not to drive the enormous rental vehicle we had because it was difficult to manuever in heavy San Francisco traffic.) There are lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel--one of my favorites--Roy's--is just a few blocks from the hotel.

There is a business center located near the spa. My only complaint was that the computers were very slow when you accessed the Internet.

On the morning of our departure, we had breakfast at the S&P on the ground floor. I had the eggs with smoked salmon and my husband had the French toast, both were good. Check out through the front desk, retrieval of our luggage and our rental car were very quick.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and selected the Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco as your hotel of choice. I was disappointed to know that your bags were stolen but happy that our Concierge was able to assist with putting your itinerary back together.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our very comfortable guest rooms and views from the 48th floor. Our guest rooms are situated on the 38th through 48th floor of the California Building with wonderful views of the city and the bay.

I look forward to welcome you back in the future,

Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco

Been to Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco? Share your experiences!