“Nothing to write home about as a tourist” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco

Save Saved
You added Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Sansome Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 (Financial District)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Daily Dining / Spa Credit
Ranked #6 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
London, United Kingdom
“Nothing to write home about as a tourist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

It's very hard to describe or remember my stay at the San Francisco MO, I can't recall anything memorable to the good or bad. We stayed whilst on vacation and I think this really is a very efficient business hotel and I personally would not recommend it if visiting San Francisco on vacation.

The thing that stands out to me was how dated the layout and design of reception and lobby restaurant/bar felt. First impressions do count and every time you walk in and out of the lobby you are reminded of this 70's/80's style layout. Rooms were not up to usual MO high standards, they were quite bland and seriously lacked colour. Service was good throughout but not exceptional. The thing that I liked had I stayed on business was the simple breakfast menu that allowed one to have a small breakfast at a reasonable price (well done MO, not many large hotels offer this), however as I was on holiday I would have preferred to indulge myself in a huge buffet spread.

My wife booked a massage at the spa and she said

This is a simple and incredibly efficient 5 star hotel, as someone who travels a lot on business I would definitely say they have the right model for business people given their location. As a tourist I almost certainly will not be returning as it lacks that wow factor you look for whilst on holiday.

359 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Well located, good service, excellent concierge, but very overpriced, needs updating, much better luxury hotels available in the city for half the price. Pluses are the views and quieter than most hotels. For $700 a night you would expect coffee in your room and a newspaper.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MO_SANFRANCISCO, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Mr. Hess,

Thank you for staying at Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco and for reviewing on Trip Advisor.

We greatly appreciate your feedback about the need for a coffee maker and newspapers. These items are available and we have made a note in your profile to provide these to you upon your next stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back with a return visit in the future.
Edwina Kluender
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is my second stay at MO SF.

I was luckily upgraded to a corner Golden Gate view room – the VIEW is stunning!!!! Probably one of the best hotel views I have ever seen. In other hotels, the rooms are oftentimes too high up so you are in the clouds and can’t see what is below you, or you are too far from the main attractions points, but here you are on just the right height (40+ floor, right above the buildings around you, and you can get a clear view of Alcatraz and Golden Gate. Luckily, one afternoon I even see a mystical sea of fog floating into the city from the Bay (the top of all the surrounding buildings seem to be floating above clouds)!!!

As for the room, it is very spacious with a huge bathroom (enjoying the same stunning view). A very comfortable and big bed, and most importantly, ample closet space and even additional space to open my 2 big suitcases.

I especially like the welcoming tea served in a fancy JING tea set, and the fortune cookies with not just fortunes, but other “surprise offers” inside. Loving these little touches!

I did not get to eat at the restaurant (they no longer have the formal restaurant upstairs). There is now more casual dining area next to the lobby which seems bustling each time I pass by – must be a very happening place!

As for the Concierge, since my U.S. trip involves many stops, I asked the MO Concierge to plan many of my visits and help with reservations. They certainly did not disappoint me with the infamous Mandarin Oriental 5-star service.

The hotel location is also very convenient, only a very pleasant <10min. walk to the Ferry building. Though for anyone staying at the hotel on weekends, the stores/cafeterias in the neighborhood seem to all be closed on weekends as it is in the middle of the Financial district - so you’d have to walk to the Pier for shopping, coffee or casual dining.

Definitely my first choice of hotel in SF!

Room Tip: Golden Gate view corner room - Even if you have to pay extra. It is worth it!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had experience trying out different hotels in San Francisco and this was the last day of our trip as we decided to spoil ourselves. We really enjoyed our stay here. I highly recommend you try it as you will not be disappointed. The service was amazing and the room was very spacious and comfortable.The separate bathroom had a nice big bathtub which was nice for a relaxing quiet time to yourself. We checked in at 3pm and checked out at 12pm the next day the room was that good! The bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets were amazing! We got a room with a view of the bay and really enjoyed the bridge on the 48th floor with breathtaking views at night and during the day. We will be back for sure! can not wait!

Southern CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

MO has never disappointed us. MOSF is extra special because of its prime location in SF's financial district where we love to shop and dine. We stayed in a premier room with a sweeping view of the bay and bridges, Coit Tower, Alcatraz and the rest of the bay city. We could even see the white tents of the farmers market at the Ferry Terminal Bldg, one of our favorite haunts. We had drinks and dined at Brasserie S&P and had room service which is always a wonderful treat in a room with a view. Some reviews say the rooms are bland and themeless. Nonetheless we liked its simple and tranquil decor - mesmerizing pearlescent ceiling, welcoming blue sofa with prim pillows, big picture windows, a bed high enough for us to take in the bay views as we lay in its plushness. The bathroom was well lit, spacious with a big soaking tub and had our favorite Molton Brown toiletries. The hotel staff at the front desk, door, restaurant and room dining provided commendable services. They seemed to genuinely liked their jobs and made us feel welcomed as well. As much as this is expected of MO, it was still wonderful to be on the receiving end of their 5 star services.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed for a few days at this hotel in early January. We were really impressed with the service throughout; the staff were helpful and friendly and helped us out in chasing our airline for lost baggage. Our room was a bridge to bridge room, with terrific views over the city; it was a real pleasure to wake up in the morning and open the curtains to take in the view. Comfortable room, with a particularly fine bed. On the negative side of the ledger, the public areas were disappointing: the bar/restaurant area is located next to the front desk on the ground floor and was not particularly appealing. It reminded me of the way a fairly average chain hotel might be set up and, compared with the sort of decor and locations you see in other MO hotels, reflected poorly. I appreciate this is probably linked to the shape and size of the space available to the hotel, but i did wonder why they didnt have the bar and food provisions on one of the higher floors, which have more space and would offer a great setting. Small thing as well, but I also found the room a bit bland - all beige with no real theme or style. Room rate i found a little high in light of those issues, but the location is very good for both business and leisure travellers.

Room Tip: Bridge to Bridge rooms great for the view. Recommend staying on the side with a view over towards th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Haverford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Magic is the only word that comes to mind when I think of our stay at the Mandarin Oriental in San Francisco.
Our hotel car was met by the staff at the front door as we were welcomed and taken into the lobby. Our check-in was warm, friendly yet professional.
We were taken up to our rooms. Once of the elevator you will have the best view of San Francisco in all the city. Looking out over the bay to Marin County, this is a million dollar view.
We were escorted to a beautiful room with a touch of Asia in every detail. The room was comfortable, luxurious and again we had a million dollar view. It was hard for us to leave the room.
I loved, loved, loved our bathroom. The bath supplies were top notch and it offered one of the most relaxing bathtubs in the world - again from the bathtub you have the million dollar view!
Shortly after check in hot tea and Chinese cookies arrived to our room to welcome us. It was a wonderful surprise and a warm welcome.
I can not begin to rave about the staff here. They were helpful and warm. The concierge is marvelous, arranging a birthday dinner at one of San Francisco's newest hot spots.
This was a perfect hotel stay. TOP, top, top service, comfortable rooms and I still can not stop thinking about the view - this is what every hotel stay in the world should be like. This may well be my favorite hotel in the world!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mandarin Oriental, San Francisco? Share your experiences!