“Shabby-chic with a great view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel

You added Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   444 Presidio Ave, San Francisco, CA 94115 (Pacific Heights)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #70 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Shabby-chic with a great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I loved this hotel. My room had a gorgeous city view and very comfortable bed. I slept well, even though I usually don't sleep well in hotels. I'd read a review here at tripadvisor complaining about a doggy smell, and I was worried about that, but I detected no such smell anywhere in the hotel. I wish I could have stayed longer. Breakfast at Ella's across the street was perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We drove to San Francisco in response to a family emergency, and immediately chose the Laurel Inn, based on a previous stay because of its convenient location, lovely neighborhood, and easy street parking. From the moment we contacted the hotel until we returned home a week later, the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating. We extended our initial reservation once, and then checked out and in again within a few hours when we realized that`our emergency had not resolved. We were welcomed back at the initial room rate and our room location request was honored even though the rate had increased. Our city view room was extremely comfortable. We appreciated the lovely touches in the lobby such at the all day coffee and tea service, spa water, and afternoon lemonade and cookies. We appreciated the delicious morning muffins and croissants. Exploring the immediate and surrounding neighborhoods, wandering through boutiques and trying local restaurants and gourmet shops provided welcome distraction and relaxation. Public transportation is readily available, and Union Square is an easy cab ride away. Overall we had a wonderful experience at this and will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
phila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I would like to give a 4 star rating but because of the smell in the halls and room,I just can't!
I was on the 3rd flr street side-it is noisy in the am but I always bring a white noise machine wherever I go so for me, that helped.
A lot of people complain that the decor is outdated but my room was very "new" and so was the large clean bath! The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and spacious!
BUT
getting off the elevator there was a very strong "dirty dog" smell. I am a dog owner and I know that smell. I was disappointed that the room had it too! I opened the window and luckily we weren't in there much so it did air out

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KatieSpidell, General Manager at Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear NickPhila,

I am so glad that you enjoyed the spacious room and bathroom on your recent stay. I understand your comments regarding the corridors in particular. We are actually beginning a corridor renovation later this month that will address the issues you noted. We are also looking into more options to upgrade our rooms as well. I will also be sure to have our housekeeping team address the "mustiness" you noted in the room. I am confident that this issue will be quickly remedied.

Thank you for your time and feedback! We hope to see you again in the future!

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I lived in Presidio Heights, and were excited to re-visit our old "hood." Picked the Laurel Inn based on location. Given prior reviews, we were dubious, so with moderate expectations went ahead with our reservation. On arrival, really disappointed. I think my husband's quote was "I didn't realize we booked a hostel." Room was roomy and clean, and bed comfortable with nice linens. Threadbare carpeting from the 80's, and bath likely from the 70's with tile and counters resurfaced, not replaced. Not a boutique hotel by any means, and a completly let down especially considering how much we paid ($369 per night)! If you are looking for a clean, functional hotel in this residential section of San Francisco, book it but negotiate price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BostonTraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you found the beds comfortable and our rooms spacious. However, I am very sorry that failed to meet your expectations on the rest of the room. We are looking into some options to address the carpeting and bathroom issues that you noted. We take our guest feedback very seriously and are excited about the options that we are looking into. Again, thank you for your time and your candor.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This homey hotel has a very helpful staff that can tell you best ways to get to places and give you a good map of San Fran. Pet friendly. Good restaurants nearby. Citibank 1 short block away. Delicious free cookies too!
The only down sides are: No screens on the window so mosquitos got inside my room and the Hotel is not near BART trains so you have to take a taxi or old bus to get to downtown.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Good location right in heart of San Fran. Parking is tight and not free (pet peeve of mine), but room is very comfortable if a little outdated. I would recommend if you like cute, quaint, quiet little hotels. If you are going to eat, go across the street to Ella's, incredible!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KatieSpidell, General Manager at Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
StGermaine84,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel and Ella's. That is our staff's favorite breakfast spot too. We hope to see you again soon!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Loved this hotel. Our room was clean and comfortable with a spectacular city view. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the location was perfect with easy access to the Presidio and shopping areas along Fillmore.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!