“I'll Be Back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taj Campton Place

Save Saved
You added Taj Campton Place to your Saves list
Taj Campton Place
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   340 Stockton Street, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
15% Off Best Rate
Ranked #50 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
miami
“I'll Be Back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

We stayed 5 nights in this botique hotel in a 1 bedroom suite. The room was so comfortable and the service was so good we hated to leave to go sightseeing. The location on Union Square was close to drugstores,liquor stores and breakfast diners which is important to me .

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
IvyNguyen, Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, November 19, 2010
What a wonderful endorsement! We can’t wait for you to come back.
Our reputation has been built on service and we do our best to ensure each guest has a comfortable stay. It’s the best compliment we can receive to learn when we have succeeded. Thank you.

493 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

As a former SF resident, I always assumed Campton Place was one of our little gems. The bar is great and you can't beat the location if you need quick hits and shopping, etc. Sadly, I'm not impressed. Front desk reception seemed undertrained, clueless, and insincere. The first room I was shown after advising of the importance of quiet for my steady stream of business calls was directly on Stockton with bus and constant whistle and traffic noise. I was told there was only one other room available in the hotel and I did end up moving, but to a floor with rowdy, partying folks next door - not Campton's fault, perhaps, but not the guest profile I was expecting. My internet didn't initally work, requiring a call and my remote control was broken - another call. They couldn't even get me a San Francisco Chronicle for the day - despite paper boxes less than a block away having them (I know b/c I went walking the streets in search of.) and my explained need for one as soon as practicable for business reasons. The room is fine but thin walls and I still hear a lot of noise outside and I'm not that sensitive to street noise. I wouldn't return. One thing I am happy with - the Indian food I ordered for room service. I've had good stuff throughout India and elsewhere and the curry was lovely. Wish I could love this hotel more but I can't.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
I was truly distressed to read of your poor experience, especially your impression of the Front Desk Associates. Our reputation for friendly, helpful service is well-known and you may be sure we take very seriously any comments counter to this.

I was also sorry to read of the distracting noises you encountered. Generally guests are not disturbed by the street noise and of course, while we are not responsible for noisy parties by other guests, we can ask them to be more quiet if we are notified of the need. You did not mention your room number, but if you would give us another opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality, we can give you a room on a higher floor in a different area to assure a quieter experience.
middle england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

$ of us stayed in two deluxe rooms (502 and 503) in October for a week. Great rooms, as so many peopole say here small but so well done. Great use of mirrors, furniture and the bed was very comfortable indeed.

Didn't use the restaurant, bar, or room service. Nespresso ijn rooms fantastic, but vv expensive. We could have topped up for ourselves by visiting the very niver Nespresso franchise in Bloomingdales, $5 for 10 capsules. Paid a LOT for these in the hotel.

Staff very friendly and called me by name. We got a good price and had a wonderful time in San Francisco, as the Giants were starting to make a run towards winning the world series- great excitment in town.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear upperdeckplease,

Wasn’t it fun in San Francisco when the Giants were making their run! Great for locals and visitors alike.

Thank you for your very nice comments about the guest rooms and our friendly staff. We think we have the best associates in town and are pleased when our guests think so too.

I am sorry, though, that you felt the price of the in-room espresso to be too dear. Most of our guests feel the convenience of espresso first thing in the morning is worth the cost. And I do apologize that you were not told at check-in that we offer complimentary coffee in the bar from 6 to 8 a.m.

Hope to see you again the next time you get to the US and San Francisco. Maybe we can arrange for the Giants (or the Niners) to provide some more excitement for your visit.
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

The rooms are very small and not very appealing. Some are better than others as I found out after requesting a room change. The bed in my first room was very worn out especially at the edge where people sit to put on shoes etc.. After several requests, I finally got another room on the same floor that was better laid out with a satisfactory bed. I felt bad for the person who got stuck with my room after we vacated but I know they put someone in there because they were full. The location is excellent but there are many other hotels in the vacinity.

The doorman didn't once open the door for my wife or I during the three days we stayed. The front desk staff were pleasant but not overly helpful. We had friends staying in another less expensive hotel and they had a better room with better service. In addition to these complaints, I am always disappointed when a hotel chareges for wireless. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
IvyNguyen, Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear Gas-Man12345,

I truly wish you had given us an opportunity to respond before writing a negative review to TripAdvisor. As a boutique hotel, our rooms are very much such as one finds in luxury boutique hotels in Europe and I regretted very much reading about displeasure with the size of yours. We do, of course, have larger rooms, but you were placed in a room in the category you had reserved and because we had full occupancy we were not able to upgrade you to a larger room. However, I must ask that you accept my apologies for the lack of attention by the doorman. This lack of hospitality is totally unacceptable and the front office manager has been apprised of your comments and appropriate action has been taken. Regarding the charge for internet, we have several packages that include complimentary internet as well as a number of other valuable amenities. We also offer complimentary internet in our two business chambers adjacent to the elevators in the lobby. There are also printers in the chambers for our guests to print out small documents and boarding passes. I regret you were not told of this convenience at check in.
Haarlem, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

Great place to stay, both for recreation or business. I've done both. Nice rooms, very luxury. Good restaurant, great service and ideally located near Union Square.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
IvyNguyen, Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Dear Letrow from The Netherlands,
Thank you for the very nice recommendation. We are delighted your experience was such to elicit such a positive response and that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for letting us—and TripAdvisor readers—know!
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

i spent four night at this hotel with my girlfriend. when i made my reservation i had asked for a room with a view. when we checked in we were upgraded to a room which smelt of cigarette so we called the front desk and they immediately upgraded us again to a bigger room on a higher floor. that and the tips from the concierge were a proof of the staff skills.
the hotel itself is a couple of minutes of union square, so it is in a touristic area but not as crowded as along the embarcadero i would say. it is quite a convenient location for everything in SF. we used a car and used the valet parking which was expensive. we were warned of the price and the time it would take to retrieve the car each time on our arrival.
the room we ended in had a view on union square, not all of them have such a view. it was big enough for us to open our four cases and still be able to walk easily. the bathroom was spacious as well. both made us feel great. the bed was really comfortable. our package included breakfast which was good.
i would definitely recommend this hotel and would surely stay there again if going back to SF (i guess my opinion is biaised by the double upgrade though)
one regret: no free internet connexion in the room. one thing i did not understood: the hotel claims to be environment friendly (not that i am green) but when you arrive in your room each day the lights and TV are on...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
IvyNguyen, Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
Dear Dlerital,

We were happy to be able to upgrade your accommodations to ensure you would be more comfortable. That’s not always possible when we’re very busy. Parking in the city is always expensive and I was pleased to learn you had been told ahead of time of the cost…..and the time it would take to get your car. Since we do not have our own parking, we have to use a nearby lot and when traffic is heavy, it does sometimes take a few minutes to retrieve guests’ cars.

Thank you for letting us know that your stay was pleasant and comfortable. We hope to see you again should your travel plans bring you to San Francisco.
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

My spouse and I stayed at the Taj Campton Place for three nights during a recent long-weekend get-away. We had stayed at this property several years ago before it was purchased by Taj. I'm pleased to report an excellent experience. We stayed in the entry-class room, which was well-appointed and comfortable, with plenty of closet and storage space for two people and a nice desk which I could use for work (which occasionally intruded). The only unusual thing about the rooms is that the bathrooms have sliding glass doors, which don't close altogether tightly; so if you're an early bird and your spouse/partner is not (as if the case with us), then it can be difficult to get your morning shower or bath without disturbing your better half's sleep. It has a nice exercise area, which actually is built onto an outdoor covered deck-- meaning that some morning workouts do have the potential to be chilly. The service from every single person was understated and wonderful-- the desk clerk at our check-in asked whether we had dinner reservations and offered to make one for us at a Chinese restaurant recommended by some friends. All in all, we were glad we came back for this trip-- and intend to do so in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Travel Fella,

We enjoyed having you with us as much as you enjoyed being here and we thank you for your very complimentary words. We truly care about our guests and work very hard to ensure they have a pleasant and comfortable experience. It’s always satisfying to learn when we have succeeded, especially from one travelled enough to have made 29 contributions to Trip Advisor. Thank you for letting us know. We’ll look forward to welcoming you back the next time you come to San Francisco.

Been to Taj Campton Place? Share your experiences!