“#1 in Customer service, anyplace, USA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taj Campton Place

Save Saved
You added Taj Campton Place to your Saves list
Taj Campton Place
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   340 Stockton Street, San Francisco, CA 94108 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
50% off Suites
Ranked #46 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
“#1 in Customer service, anyplace, USA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

The management responses on trip advisor are a clue, but my first personal indication of how this hotel values their customers came over the phone when I made my reservation. I inquired about applying a discount that was dated for the week following my anticipated travel to San Francisco. The manager I spoke with was extremely gracious in agreeing to apply the discount and when she learned that my husband and I planned to do some house hunting in Marin County after my husband's business conference in the city, immediately offered the services of Campton Place Hotel's concierge to be of assistance; I received follow-up emails from both individuals. When we arrived, we were taken to a serenely decorated corner suite overlooking Union Square. Although we had booked a suite and it was off-season, we didn't expect a premium location with a discounted rate. The staff warmly addressed us by name whenever we passed through the lobby (we felt like celebrities, which we're not). Unfortunately, I was ill the first day we arrived and got progressively worse after walking around Union Square and decided to cancel my evening plans. Upon returning to the hotel, I asked the concierge greeting me at the entrance where I could get some chicken soup nearby. No problem, she would have some sent to my room at whatever time I wanted it. I received it promptly fifteen minutes later - it was the best chicken soup ever! When the housekeeper came to my room to clean the next morning and I was in my robe, obviously under the weather, she quietly and efficiently sanitized the bathroom like a clinic (even organized my toiletries) and considerately asked my preference on vacuuming or not. I've never been so comfortably miserable :-). The next morning, i felt better and my husband and i enjoyed a delicious breakfast in the lovely restaurant off the lobby. Still not feeling quite up to par, I decided to meet up with our daughter for lunch in the hotel's quaint bistro. Perfect. After lunch, it was raining, and I learned we could take the hotel limo which is provided for guest excursions to deliver my daughter back to her conference site, which gave us a few extra precious minutes to visit. I can't say enough to praise this special jewel of a hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
NicoletteLea, Sales Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
WOW! What an endorsement! It’s reviews such as yours that make this industry worthwhile and help us to remember the reasons for our dedication to service. You may be sure we have posted it for all our associates to read. Thank you so much for telling us of your experience.

521 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

Stayed for three nights for a conference. Great location adjacent to Union Square (and it's shops and restaurants). Absolutely the best hotel staff I have ever had the chance to deal with. Great dinner recommendations, prompt service and lots of smiles. Well appointed room and comfortable bed. Don't go expecting a huge corporate hotel though. Definitely more of a "boutique" hotel, although it is part of the Taj chain.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
We were delighted read your review and especially to see that you received impeccable service. Because we are a boutique hotel with generally smaller rooms than the newer, larger hotels, we work very hard to ensure our guests have pleasant and comfortable stays and our staff always appreciates learning when they have succeeded. Thank you for letting us know!
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

I travel a lot. In terms of service the hotel provided about the best I've experience. Also had a great meal at the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
NicoletteLea, Sales Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience in our hotel. We work extremely hard to demonstrate impeccable service in both the hotel and restaurant.

We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay. We look forward to seeing you here again very soon.
Anywhere USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Stayed at Campton Place again, my last trip having been 2 1/2 months ago.

The only thing to add from my last review is that this trip I took my laptop and was very pleased with the wifi. No connection problems and a fast connection (slow connections can be a problem at some hotels). Price was $12 and change, which is par for the course.

The staff, as usual, was terrific. I don't know how they do it, but they navigate that fine line between being always there for you, but not being so obsequious that you feel embarrassed.

As usual, terrific flowers in the lobby. I don't understand the comment from one of the previous posters that the public spaces feel dated. I find the public spaces elegant in a simple way, which is an aesthetic that feels right for what the hotel is trying to be - a small, service-oriented hotel for those who don't like big hotels and don't like glitz.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
NicoletteLea, Group Sales Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
We are very pleased to hear that you had a great experience once again. We have been constantly updating our wireless networks to ensure that you do get a good signal, just as you did.

We look forward to welcoming you back here soon and thank you for taking the time to write about our beautiful hotel.
Hermanus, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

They really make you feel special. Welcome. At home. Although the rooms are not the largest ones, but they are nicely furnitured and very clean. The staff at this hotel is amazing: they really put lots of effort into details, the small things that normally go under ... example: I love coffee and the normal coffee supply at the room coffee maker does not take me far. WITHOUT asking for they saw that and added extra coffee and milk. Small but important little details to make a guest feel welcome.

They all greeted me by my name, already the second day. That was quite impressive.

The hotel may not be cheap, but then again, they are worth it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
NicoletteLea, Sales Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
We love that you feel you were at a “home away from home.” Our goal is that each and every guest does feel as though they are home when they are here; our dedicated staff makes sure of this. We hope that you will be visiting us again very soon and thank you for your time.
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

I have stayed at Campton Place several times and have been satisfied with my experience. This past stay, however, has prompted me to write a review, which I rarely do. Our room was beyond small and cramped, the bed horribly uncomfortable, and the bathroom was terrible! No door or cover on the shower/bath area so during a shower, the entire bathroom was a big wet mess! At six am in the morning, a loud knocking noise in began in the walls. I felt like we were sleeping in the the bowels or steerage of a cruise ship, next to the boiler room. I have no serious complaints about the service, except that we had to call twice for the bellman. Hmmmm. And, upon check out my husband tried to explain why we dissatisified with our stay and the response was simply "I'm sorry". Total disconnect. The location of this hotel is fabulous and thank goodness the teeny tiny room was clean. Public areas are looking quite dated. We go to the City quite frequently, but will not go back to The Campton Place. It is not 5 star at all. Do yourself a favor and pay the extra $100 per night and stay at the Four Seasons where you will get consistency and a five star experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
NicoletteLea, Sales Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, March 12, 2010
We truly regret you were in a room with the wheel-in shower, but that was the last room in the category you had booked for your stay and we particularly regret the lack of empathy you received when voicing your complaints at the front desk. As you know from your previous experience, this is not the kind of hospitality you had come to expect as a guest in our hotel and we ask that you accept our sincere apologies for having been the cause of your dissatisfaction.

We do, however, take exception with your complaint about the public areas. We take great pride in the recently refurbished lobby with art works by well-established contemporary artists and extraordinary flower arrangements. One of most frequent comments we hear from guests is about the wonderful, intimate, yet luxurious, feel of the lobby. We would be interested to hear how you would like to see it and we will take your comments under serious consideration.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate that we are indeed the hotel of choice when staying in San Francisco.
oklahoma city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

I travel quite a lot, and have never been in a hotel where every single staff person is so friendly and service minded. We were at the hotel for seven days, and every shift, every day was just a friendly as the last. One morning we met the housekeeper in the hallway and her first greeting - "Is there anything I can do to make your stay better?"
This same message was delivered by everyone on staff. The room was was always clean, the bathroom was very large, location was perfect. We used a lot of public transportation and were just one block from stops headed many directions.
I will return to SFO and will stay again at Taj Campton Place!
Internet was 12.50\day, good thing I didn't need it!! Starbucks next door was probably free or at least cheaper for Internet.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
NicoletteLea, Sales Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, March 3, 2010
We are so pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful stay here with us. It is our aspiration that each guest be given the high quality level of service you received. Our location is quite ideal and we are happy to hear that you took full advantage of our Union Square setting. We look forward to welcoming you back here very soon and thank you for your kind feedback.

Been to Taj Campton Place? Share your experiences!