“Marginal at Best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency San Francisco

You added Hyatt Regency San Francisco to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Embarcadero Center, San Francisco, CA 94111 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #83 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Bozeman, MT
“Marginal at Best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2005

We just returned from 3 nights at the Hyatt Regency at Embarcadero and we feel that the property is in dire need of a facelift. The room was warm and comfortable, however, the lobby and the atrium were extremely drab and dreary. The location is central to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 and Union Square, easily within walking distance or if you prefer, public transportation was easily accessible. We have stayed in upscale hotels in the past and this fell well below the bar.

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2005

This hotel had a great location for being able to walk around the Embarcadero and on down to Fisherman's Wharf. We walked from the hotel to and from the SF Giants game down at SBC Park. Hotel itself was roomy although had a rather small toilet/shower area. We could open our window to get a fresh breeze from the bay but streets below were very loud. With the windows closed, the room was very quiet. Front desk personnel couldn't have been more efficient. We found none of the problems that previous reviewers had written about the hotel. We were quite pleased for the $75 we spent on PriceLine.

• Stayed June 2005
Santa Cruz, Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

I recently stayed at the Hyatt in SF in may for 1 night, the Hotel was quite nice and the room was nice with a great view of SF bay, but I just found out today that I got double booked. I reserved my room on priceline for a great price, 85$ tax included, but I ust noticed on my bank statement that the Hyatt charged my credit card for 108$, which includes parking, this is absolutely outrageous, and I'm in the process of getting this charge removed, I liked the hotel itself but I'm just giving everone a warning about the practices of the Hyatt chain, as they seem to be crooks just out to get your money.

GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2005

My family of four just returned from a trip to SF. The Hyatt Regency was at a terrific location (across from the Ferry building) and adjacent to any kind of transportation you could imagine! We were in Chinatown in minutes via the cable car (which was never crowded at our location!). Other tourists waited a couple of hours to ride at other locations, and we got on and off in minutes on our line. After hoofing around the city for a week with two little ones, I can tell you that location is a priority in the city. We even took BART straight to our hotel from the airport. The ride is less than $5 per person and was safe and fast.
The hotel itself is huge, and the staff was attentive and hard-working. The lobby is cavernous and the style reminds me a bit of Disney's Contemporary in Orlando. The bar has a super view of the harbor and is quiet and relaxing. We didn't dine at Equinox because our children were so young, but we went upstairs and admired the view from the revolving restaurant. The menu looked delicious! The room was standard and quiet. Staying near Fisherman's wharf would have been much noisier.
We got the room at $90 a night through Priceline, and I heard from other travelers that our price was steal for a room in SF in the summer. We'd recommend the Hyatt again.

Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

We got this hotel through Priceline. The rooms were comfortable and the location was adequate but there were definitely some (minor) issues with our stay.

First, the good. The hotel is very striking when you first arrive. The decor of the rooms is good. We really liked our beds. We ate at the bar the first night we arrived and although we thought it was a bit pricey at first we were pleased with the portions provided.

The bad. The hyatt tries to come off as this upscale hotel, but really they are trying to pinch every penny they can out of you. The mini bar is computerized, so if you try to move things around (i.e. put something of your own in there) you will automatically be charged. We didn't know this and had been moving things around all night. The next morning we saw the tiny notice on the mini fridge and called the front desk. Thankfully, they removed the charges. If you want to use the fridge for yourself it is a $10 charge. Also there are no vending machines because they want you to take the overpriced products in the minifridge. This was a bit annoying.

Next issue was that our coffee maker was broken. It took over an hour for someone to come and replace it.

The hotel is located on the edge of the embarcadero right across from the Ferry Building. It is a bit of a walk to most sights, but if you don't mind a walk it is not too big of a deal. There are bus stops right at the corner. If I were to go back to SF I would probably look for a different part of town to stay in as this is the Financial District and dead after dark. Still, a good deal for Priceline.

Frisco, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2005

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency SF on the Embarcadero from 5/27 to 5/31. We were not too impressed for the price we paid. We had 3 rooms as there were 7 in our party; however one had to sleep on a chair and lounge as they didn't have any queen rooms. I had called a month ago to request 2 beds in at least 1 room, so that was a little disappointing. The location of the hotel could not be any better. You walk out the door and there is the F line, Cable Car and Bart/Muni station.

Our complaints… internet access is $9.95 per day. But my problem is this. My laptop has a satellite internet connection so where ever I am I can connect. Well, at this hotel they block all other internet connections. So although I pay to be able to have a connection available to me anywhere, they feel the privilege to block my service provider to me. Do they block cell phone connections so you have to use their telephones? No. So why internet? Also, they attempted to charge us $80 for the Continental Breakfast that came with our room package and it was like pulling teeth for them to cancel the charges. The bar is well understaffed as not one group of guests that would sit down for a drink would be served within 15 minutes of arriving. Finally, we just went down the street. Also, they need to make an effort to not let the homeless pester their guests. I understand once you hit the sidewalk it is their right, but each time we’d walk out the door, under the covered valet driveway, we were hit up for money, and once yelled at in profanities. The hotel does seem a little older, I think because of all the concrete and the dusty fake greenery in the lobby and along the floors. As far as the rooms, the linens weren’t great. I’ve had duvets at 3 star hotels, but not here. The thin scratchy comforter was awful. Concierge was extremely hard to get a hold of. Most the time we’d just visit them on the way out of the hotel as they never answered the phone.

While I’ve touched on all of the negative, the Hyatt was not THAT bad. It is just not what we had hoped for being a Hyatt. And for the price, we really shouldn’t have had any complaints.

Best feature: Location
Worst feature: Attentiveness to service

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2005

An awesome location with great views of the bay! Located next to BART, Cable Cars, Steet Cars (F-line takes you right to FW), buses. Across the street from the Ferry Building-great little shops and farmer's market on Saturday.

Some have given this hotel a negative review but I found it to be very clean, quiet and comfortable. The hotel service (front desk, concierge, housekeeping) very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again. The location is outstanding for touring SF.

Been to Hyatt Regency San Francisco? Share your experiences!