“Regency Rocks!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency San Francisco

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency San Francisco to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency San Francisco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Embarcadero Center, San Francisco, CA 94111 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #87 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Regency Rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Fantastic Location, across the street from the Embarcadero Ferry buildings, which is handy for a trip to Saucilito, the trolly car is just downstairs, and a nice walk to Fisherman's Wharf. The Atrium Lobby is amazing!
I had a Balcony King on the first night, with a view of the bay, then took the ferry to Saucilito the next day to take a sailing trip down the coast to Monterrey.
On the way back I had a Regency Club Balcony King, with access to the rooftop Regency Club. Fantastic! Great views from both rooms, but the views from the Regency Club were spectacular! Great snacks, and a wide selection of drinks. A little trouble getting the Regency Club card to work in the elevator, but otherwise an faultless trip.. I would expect nothing less from the Hyatt Regency.

Room Tip: Regency Club Balcony King!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Thomson F,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! Sounds like you had a great time exploring all of the San Francisco attractions! I must agree with you the bay view from the Regency Club is absolutely beautiful. We truly appreciate you choosing the Hyatt Regency San Francisco, please come back and see us again soon!

Warm regards,

1,694 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

To be up front, this trip to San Fran was part of a trip to Napa, so our focus was 50/50. The one thing I would warn about this hotel for a tourist is I am just not too sure the location is all that great. Depending on what you want to do and how you want to do it, it may or may not work very good for you.

You are directly in front of the Ferry Building Market Place, which I'd say is a tourist must, with lots of great shops and treats, but no real "food" options. Beyond the Ferry Building, I'd say nothing else you'd want to do/see in San Fran is within walking distance. Having said that, if you are the athletic type and like biking, then this would be a great hotel choice. There is a bike rental stand literally outside the hotel and a good bike bath that runs along the street that take you all the way to and across the golden gate bridge.

My fiance and I did it and it was lots of fun. I would say it is a minimum 10 mile ride, round trip, with some massive hills, but certainly doable and a nice day trip. And with the bikes, you can get to all sorts of great tourist destinations. There is a trolly stop right out in front of the hotel, but I am not sure it is going to get you to any great tourist destinations either. My point is, make sure you understand the hotel's location and your options within walking distance.

Location aside, I really liked this hotel. It is pretty massive but I found staff/service to be just fine. They have a great electronic system downstairs. To the best of my memory, as you are facing the check in counter, behind you to your left, there is a very large computer type touch screen that will direct you to just about whatever you want. A very nice feature.

The room was larger than your typically hotel room, with a very large and comfy bed. I recall the room being very quite. The fitness center was very respectable. I do not think we ate in the hotel or got room service either and we did not have a car but I think they charge you about $1 million dollars a night to park a car :)

If you are fine taking a taxi a lot or biking to get around, I think you will enjoy this hotel a lot. If you want to be within walking distance of major attractions, look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The Hyatt Regency is a typical four-star chain hotel. There is nothing that sets it apart from the rest, and as a seasoned traveler, I was largely unimpressed. The customer service on the whole was dismal, particularly at the hotel bar. In fact, it was probably the worst customer service I have ever experienced at a hotel bar.

As for as the hotel’s location is concerned, it is a decent place to stay. It’s located so that all the tourist sites are easily accessible by public transportation and a short walk to the Embarcadero and Union Square, but it’s extremely quiet on the weekends, being in the Financial District.

I didn’t have a room with a view, but I imagine that their bay-view rooms offer a rare unobstructed view of the bay. That may be the one thing that makes this hotel worth visiting. The only positive thing that I can say is that the concierge directed me to a number of good restaurants and was very helpful when providing directions and travel advice.

Room Tip: You must pay extra for a room with a view. There's no chance you will be offered a view with pay...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently for a business conference. Location perfect for San Francisco. As with most centrally located San Francisco hotels it is quite expensive. Buffet breakfast 25 dollars and room rate I was charged 326 without breakfast. The reception in the atrium lobby is quite impressive with big open spaces, great to sit around and have a cocktail. Rooms are average for the price paid. No bottled water in the room, which is a basic must for me! Water is free from reception. Nice dinner menu which I had on two evenings. All of the food and beverage activity is in the same location. Happy stay, if a little on the expensive side.

• Stayed February 2013
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a great business hotel, probably not a place I would stay as a tourist however. When I checked in, Ted at reception, gave me the sweetest possible room, suite 1740 which was really tremendous. The service is truly great as the staff fight through the enormity of the place to create a degree of personalization. The atrium is spectacular. The location in the revitalized Embarcadero is excellent for business in the Financical District and for tourism along the piers. Great views of the Bay Bridge from some rooms. the only thing I would worry about is using it as a tourism hotel, as it is huge, frequently filled with convenioneers and not as personalized as some of the boutique choices

Room Tip: Suites are awesome if you can score one
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear George Y,

Thank you for your review! Great to hear you enjoyed your accommodation and the convenient location of our hotel. I must agree with you Embarcadero has become a destination and a great place to explore in San Francisco! We may have some large conventions from time to time and fill with many guests but our experienced staffs always give their undivided attention to all of our guests. Your business is truly appreciated and we hope to see you come back for both business and pleasure in the future!

Sincerely yours,
Fair Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hotel is just across the street from the ferry building, which makes it perfect for those arriving by ferry; we parked our car in Vallejo and took the pleasant 1-hour ferry across the bay for a 3-night stay, which avoided very high parking fees. The lobby is typically Hyatt, vast and beautiful; the service at the front desk was pleasant and we were able to check in early. Our room on the 15th floor was large and quiet by city standards, just an OK city view ($40 more for a bay view), the window looked like it hadn't been cleaned in ages, and when the sun hit the window, you could barely see out. The bathtub- shower-toilet area was very cramped, but the shower water pressure great. It's also at the end of the California St. cable car line, permiting easy access to Nob Hill, and with a transfer, on to Fisherman's Wharf. We were disappointed to find that the restaurant that used to be on the top floor is no longer there, but there are many fine restaurants within walking distance and the restaurant in the lobby had an excellent happy hour menu.

Room Tip: Get a high floor and, if possible, negotiate for a room facing the bay. The breaded Boston Chowder...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear suethe,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We are delighted you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel and the easy access to public transportation. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time exploring San Francisco and thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again!

Truly yours,
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I love this hotel. I can't come to San Francisco without staying at this hotel.

Beautiful inside and out. The rooms are gorgeous.

I love the views and the decor.....Great location.

Beautiful atrium....great area to walk around outside, I love the Embarcadero.

They closed the Equinox restaurant on the top floor. Too bad, I loved that restaurant.

Room Tip: High floor, close to the elevator. The view of the atrium is gorgeous.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Timothy H.,

Wow! Thank you so much for your review! It is so great to hear our hotel is your must-stay when visiting San Francisco! We love to see our guest returns year after year and becomes part of our family! Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. Look forward to see you next time!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Been to Hyatt Regency San Francisco? Share your experiences!